Method in the madness

pellethead15

Reaction score
ok so ive bought some drennan method feeders,some sonubaits method mix and im already to give this madness a try.question is ive bought some short hooklengths with korum stops fitted and wondered if anyone uses a method feeder with a hair rig or is it best to hook the bait.?answers on a postcard please to pellethead.

Bluenose

Reaction score
It's usually a self hooking rig mate, so the hair is usually employed.

Last edited:

pellethead15

Reaction score
Doh,i forgot to buy one with the mould,just got some loose ones,i normally fish a cage due to the meth being banned on waters i fish(why?) and im trying to get my head around not adding anything to the groundbait apart from my hook bait.
ive mixed up some sonu method mix tonight to use tomorrow,set my rod up,fox barbel 1.75,shimano stradic,8lb line,drennan 35g method feeder,4" hooklength,size 12+hair on a korum stop.For hook bait im going to use meat that ive punched out ready...the lake holds carp to twentys and cats to thirty five so hopefully a few bends in my rod in the morning.:)......question,would you guys add anything like for example small bits of hookbait(meat) to the mix?.

PitsfordPirate

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
You don't necessarily need a mould unless you are just using pre-soaked pellets, where a mould does make it easier.

The palm of your hand will do just fine.

Gotta love this kid's enthusiasm.........

Ground Bait/Mathod Mix For Carp Fishing - YouTube

The Pirate.

---------- Post added at 21:23 ---------- Previous post was at 21:17 ----------

Yes you can add bits of the hookbait to the mix as well as things like sweeetcorn and tuna, just ensure it doesn't dry your mix out too much otherwise it won't stick/hold to your feeder.

I prefer to prepare bank side, using water from the lake am fishing rather than the tap but others don't bother, horses for courses I suppose.

If you enjoy fishing the method and want to carry on, try making up some mix in future using Vitalin, cheap as chips.

The Pirate.

Last edited:

pellethead15

Reaction score
Thanks for the vids guys,^^^thats interesting because thats a bit like the mixes i make to fish through a cage,and i understand only having your hookbait in amongst the groundbait on a method gives the fish something to home in on,but like this kid im used to making my own mix,so ive chopped meat and a tin of hemp mixed and im going to try this in with the groundbait...and without.

PitsfordPirate

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Stick some sweetcorn in too to add some colour, don't go mad with it though, let us know how you get on, tightlines!

The Pirate.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Thanks for the vids guys,^^^thats interesting because thats a bit like the mixes i make to fish through a cage,and i understand only having your hookbait in amongst the groundbait on a method gives the fish something to home in on,but like this kid im used to making my own mix,so ive chopped meat and a tin of hemp mixed and im going to try this in with the groundbait...and without.

I'd stick with without...

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
A lot of anglers don't add any loose feed into their method mixes preferrring to have the hook bait standing out on the mat of groundbait.

I have experimented with both ways and came to the conclusion that no added loose feed is really necessary.

Just my conclusions, others may differ, just try it for yourself.

dezza

Reaction score
This last summer season, I have caught lots of good tench and bream with the odd carp amongst them using tactics virtually identical to those illustrated by Stu Dexter. Hookbaits have been sweetcorn, maggots, casters and miniboilies. I have not bothered hair rigging the maggots, casters and sweetcorn.

I have been fishing the "method", or variations of it since 1968, where rules forbade the throwing out of groundbait by hand. So we squeezed it around the lead, later attaching a bit of spiral wire to the lead to facilitate long casts.

These days I like to fish 2 rods on a pod with alarms and swingers, using a flat Drennan method feeder.

I works a treat.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Pirate,

No, no one complained at all.

I removed it due to its insulting nature.

Please note: FM has a zero tollerance policy towards personal insults.

If you have a problem with another member then kindly take it between the two of you in either PM or e-mail, and NOT on the open forum.

peter crabtree

Reaction score
I always thought the method in the "method" was to have a single bait in the
in the groundbait/pellet mix so that when it was revealed it was the first thing the fish saw and homed in on it. If someone wants to add other bait samples to the mix then OK but personally I wouldn't.

peter crabtree

Reaction score
I suspect that if I added pieces of bait or hemp seed to the mix it would either fly off on the cast, or in deep water would break down too quickly and would present a bare feeder on hitting the deck defeating the object. If I wanted to add particles /samples of bait I would use a cage feeder. If I still wanted the bolt effect I would fish a straight lead and hook on a PVA bag.

PitsfordPirate

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Good to see the reasoning behind different methods and preferences now coming out.

Personally I'll give whatever the fish want at a specific venue, whether it be a plain groundbait mix or a cocktail.

A lot of it is down to personal confidence in your bait and set up also.

There's lots of methods crossing over between the Bivvy boy and Match scenes, good reasons for that, it helps catch more fish!

The Pirate.

Last edited:

pellethead15

Reaction score
Embrace the madness.so this morning i threw the rods in the van and set off on another adventure to a lake that screams gold so loud the heart will stop talking so much.
first fish on the meth,Bream followed by bream bream and more bream.
this sonu meth mix is a very sweet fishmeal and the carp were dining on olives or
gudgeon caviar today.I tried without and caught skimmers,then i mixed in the hemp and caught bigger fish,wanting to leave my rig out for ten minutes i felt with the hemp there was something left around my hookbait,(punched meat).the groundbait fizzed out of the feeder quite quickly and i think i will try another type next time i go out.having the hemp on the feeder did loosen the mix somewhat and bits did fly to the wind,partly due to me cramming too much around the feeder,a mould would help with this ,but once i succumbed to the small ball it stayed on ok.so i like your method,Mr Drennan, the semi fixed style with the little connector stuck in the base which releases when you hook a fish, i like the bites,watching the tip jiggle like you can feel the fish over the feeder......im working on a new design for an edible method feeder to send to Mr Drennan,..look out for it in a tackle shop near you soon.