Grand Union Canal,Watford

murraybank

Reaction score
Hi, Just wondering if some one could help me??

I've got a club match coming up soon on a bit of canal in watford, The thing is I have not fished there for possible 4/5 years..

Its on the Lady Capels/Grove stretch.I can remember that the pegs by the wides at Lady Capels were good but has anyone fished on this bit of canal recently and how did you get on i.e tactics,bait,fish caught??

Any help would be great..

Thank you..

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Hi Chris, I think you will find that Capels is hardly fished these days as is a lot of the GU . I haven't seen anyone down there for ages when I drive past.
Best bet would be to ring the Tackle carrier shop in Watford 01923 232393
I would imagine for match purposes I would just fish fine and catch anything that swims. There used to be some big shoals of chub on certain swims , the flyer was always below the lock where the Gade runs in.

chrisfromthevalley

Reaction score
there's been a few barbel caught up that way in the canal, never used to fish that far up, more the running pound at herefield.

PitsfordPirate

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hi Chris, I think you will find that Capels is hardly fished these days as is a lot of the GU . I haven't seen anyone down there for ages when I drive past.
Best bet would be to ring the Tackle carrier shop in Watford 01923 232393
I would imagine for match purposes I would just fish fine and catch anything that swims. There used to be some big shoals of chub on certain swims , the flyer was always below the lock where the Gade runs in.

Near Croxley Business Park, nice stretch, absolutely stuffed with Chub.

The Pirate.

R

rayb

who has the fishing rights on capels and grove these days have not fished there in years and apparently not many others have is there any reason always had plenty of chub roach and masses of gudgeon any info appreciated recently moved back so looking to get back on the bank cheers

edinburghhornet

Reaction score
I've just returned to the area after being away for a number of years and was wondering where the best tackle shop would now be as tackle carrier has closed.

Keith M

Reaction score
There is (or was the last time I looked) a tackle shop 50 to 100 Metres from Bushy Arches as well.

I'm off to lady Capels tommorrow (or Wednesday) for the first time in years to learn how to use dropshotting after Perch and Chub, so I'm hoping the large Chub and wandering Perch shoals are still about like they always used to be in Lady Capels hay days.

Keith (BoldBear)

Last edited:

barbelboi

Reaction score
For anyone new to drop shotting this guy gives a good example of how to set up a rig.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N22QTVTXz34]::FOX RAGE TV:: Julian Chidgey's Guide to Drop Shotting - YouTube[/ame]

edinburghhornet

Reaction score
Many thanks. I was considering Lady Capels, I haven't been there for years. I'd be interested to know how you get on.

Keith M

Reaction score
I went to the Lady Capels stretch of the GUC this afternoon (Wed) hoping to have a go at dropshotting for Perch.

I parked by the small road bridge at the downstream end and worked my way upstream past the wides and then back downstream again.

There were a lot more barges berthed along the edge than there used to be when I used to fish matches there and there were around five berthed from the road bridge to the boom swim bend, and three or four more berthed between the boom swim and the first white bridge.
(NB. the boom itself is no longer there)

I was the only angler fishing there which surprised me as there was plenty of decent sized fish moving and turning on the surface.

I only took my dropshotting gear because it's a new method for me which I wanted to learn and I only managed 3 smallish Perch however my dropshotting technique still needs a lot to be desired LOL.

The bailiff also came along and I was pleasantly surprised at the cost of a day ticket which was only £2 for a pensioner (I retired early LOL)

I think I will return with my match rod the next time and fish a waggler tight against the far bank to see if the large Chub are still in residence.

Tight lines

Keith (BoldBear)

Last edited: