River Stour & Chelmer

S

Stuart Kelly

Anybody have any info regarding Barbel stocking/captures on the mentioned rivers?

Regards

Stuart

J

John Pleasance

I presume you mean the Suffolk Stour Stuart? If so I have some info somewhere,its just a question of digging it out.

S

Stuart Kelly

Yes John I did mean the Suffolk stour, your input would be much appreciated.

Regards

Stuart

J

John Pleasance

I'm still digging Stuart,I know there are some barbel in there,they are downstream of a weir whose name begins with a "P" I think, but I cant find the info and can't remember anymore details.However my bro-in -law lives that way and I'm sure he knows ,I'll email him for the info.
There are plans to put(may have happened already) more barbel into a few areas,Mr Paul Garner knows more about that.

J

John Pleasance

Just to let you know I haven't forgotten Stuart.
What I did forget (apart from the info) is that bro-in-law is on holiday in Iceland at the moment.

K

Keith Miller

John, you are probably referring to Pitmore Lock, between Henny and Bures.

K

Keith Miller

Pitmore Lock and the weir above it are within a stretch accessed from Daws Hall, which is a syndicate water. The nearest stretch below that I know of is Edgars Farm, Lamarsh which is an LAA water, but bookable on Sundays.
Barbel were stocked as fingerlings into the Stour in the past. The last occasion, probably 7-8 years ago was two weeks prior to the river flooding. Whether they survived or not I do not know, but there were reports year before last of a couple of fish to 2lb caught near Bures on Colnes/Sudbury club waters.

J

John Pleasance

I'm fairly sure that barbel have been caught from the Stour to about 8 or 9 lb.
Liston Mill was the name given to me by my brother in law who lives in Ipswich. He is a regular angler although he does not fish for barbel.I have emailed him again to clarify where it is in relation to Pitmore lock.
The syndicate sounds right, I had a feeling that the place I had heard of was controlled by a syndicate,and they are rather secretive!
Fingerlings from 7 or 8 years ago should be quite a bit bigger than 2lb by now I would have thought.

K

Keith Miller

Liston Mill is well upstream, above Long Melford, and the river is narrow and shallow, a good dace venue. Controlled by Long Melford AA.
Reports of barbel from the Stour are rare, I have yet to catch one. I believe larger fish have been taken from Edgars Farm. The parents of the 2lbers?
Len Head had something to do with the syndicate

A

Alan Cooper

There has been a recent report that more barbel stocking of the Stour has happened or will happen. I believe Dr Paul Garner is involved.

I would certainly like to know more about the Pitmore Lock syndicate. I still haven't managed a trip up to the Stour this year Keith - must give Lamarsh a try if poss by end of season - the top end abutts directly on to the lower end of Daws Hall / Pitmore Lock (which is ex-LAA anyway.

K

Keith Miller

Alan, good to hear from you again. You are correct in your comment about stocking, although I do not know if it has yet occurred. On the last occasion there were 4 batches of 500 stocked at different points from Glemsford downstream.
As John said, the syndicate are secretive, so much so that I have no idea who to contact, should I happen to find out will let you know.
Have fished Stour a few times recently, in the Bures area. Still as good as ever for chub, roach and pike.

J

John Pleasance

Stuart, I have just spoken to bro-in-law on the phone.There are definitely barbel at Liston Mill but rarely reported,the fishing there is controlled by two clubs, Bury St.Edmunds and Sudbury.I don't think it is what you would call a barbel fishery but there are some fish there.Pitmore Lock also contains barbel.
Futher to this and for the future 2000 small barbel have recently been stocked in the Little Ouse at Mildenhall.

S

Stuart Kelly

Thanks for the details John. I have been looking at several stretche's of the Stour recently, Liston Mill & Pitmore lock being most interesting. It would be nice to find information on the syndicate on Pitmore, anyone assist?

Regards

Stuart