Cold Hands and Toes ?

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Ever since I went onto Asprin (one every day) my Hands and Toes are freezing cold.

It don't seem to matter how many socks or gloves I put on, they are always cold.

Do other Anglers suffer from the same thing ?

Bob

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Drink a bottle of Laphroaig quarter cask malt before you go out...if that don't work then I am afraid nothing can be done me old mate!

Mark

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
I don't boast I know this, I copied it -

Common causes of cold hands and feet may include

• Arthritis
  • Carpal tunnel syndrome
  • Circulatory diseases including Peripheral vascular disease
  • Diabetes
  • Peripheral neuropathy
  • Raynaud’s Syndrome
  • Smoking
Something I looked up years ago though was Raynaud's syndrome (or disease) as I thought my wife had it. She still won't go and have it checked out, but she's lived with it for 30 odd years now so sod it. Let her suffer.

The aspirin thins the blood allowing it to get through all the tiny veins, which in theory should warm your toes. However, if they are still cold, they could also be cooling your blood exessively and that could make you cold all over.

Have you tried neoprene boot liners?

Or those heat packets - shake 'em and put them in your trouser pockets? I tried some of those one day when we were filming, supplied to all of us as it was so cold. Put one in each trouser pocket and was so warm I was sweating in a cold field in December with just a shirt and jacket on me top. Oh, and a cap. It was cold enough for two pairs of braces, but them packets of crystals, whatever they were, really worked.

This is the idea, these are from Blacks -
099122-99-1233218124373.jpg
£2.49 each, but if they make you feel comfortable they're worth it.

Then again, these are only £1 for two -

3776.jpg
Shop around for hot pad handwarmers on Google

Or these - fo thi feet! £2.99 per pair.

7650.jpg

Last edited:

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
those paper bags you shake and stick in your pockets are marketed under the name Hotties. Not crystals but iron filings and gunpowder.
£1.50 for a pack and they seem to last all day as long as they are
kept enclosed in a pocket or elsewhere ........

Last edited:

waggy

Reaction score
I had the same problem when I went on to small aspirin for blood thinning to help my angina, Bob. After 3 years I just don't notice it any more. What I used to do though was make sure that my legs were well wrapped in several layers and use the foil insoles to insulate your feet a bit more from the ground. Several pairs of socks is good too but get some not-too-tight foot wear since you want some air circ in your socks and optimise good circulation in your feet - compressed feet are cold feet.
For the hands, I still find my finger mitts with easily fold back full mitten are as versatile as anything because if you keep all fingers in one compartment it reduces the total surface area through which body heat escapes. For baiting up and removing fish just flick back the full mitten.
Smoking is the big no-no though since the effect of nicotine is to contract the blood vessels in the skin and the body's extremities, thus reducing circulation.
Alcohol is also out since it expands the blood vessels and increases heat loss.
And don't think you can cheat by drinking and smoking at the same time.

barbelboi

Reaction score
My feet used to suffer terribly in the very cold weather until some 8 or 9 years ago I bought a pair of Skeetex Moon Boots, guaranteed to -50c - never a problem since during the cold months with static fishing and if mobile the field boots are just the job.
Jerry

Wobbly Face (As Per Ed)

Reaction score
Asprin thins the blood as been siad. The thin blood going through loads of small capilaries cools very quickly, hence heat loss and cold hands. Don't do the alcohol bit, that thns the blood as well and could have a bad reaction to the asprin. Glovers, hand warmers etc are the best way to go. I only suffer with cold feet, haven't found anything yet to keep them warm. :eek:mg:
neoprene wellies, heat holder socks, moon boots with thermal linings. Nowt seems to work for me tootsies.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I think keeping your legs warm helps to keep your feet warm. Try wearing some thermal long johns under some windproof trousers, one pair of good quality, long / over the knee socks and some good footwear, that should help with the cold feet.
To be honest though if your sat out in cold conditions the majority of people will get cold hands and feet, it's just unavoidable.

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Thanks lads,

I have not smoked for 30 years and was never a drinker !!

So no problems there.

I do wear gloves, long johns and have thermal liners for my boots !!

I will have a word with my Hand warmer supplier, maybe he can get boot warmers.

I have been cold since my Triple bypass op 18 months ago, and asked the consultant about it ?

He said it was " just one off those things " and to stay indoors in the cold weather ?

Bob

---------- Post added at 01:07 ---------- Previous post was at 01:05 ----------

I don't boast I know this, I copied it -

Common causes of cold hands and feet may include

• Arthritis
  • Carpal tunnel syndrome
  • Circulatory diseases including Peripheral vascular disease
  • Diabetes
  • Peripheral neuropathy
  • Raynaud’s Syndrome
  • Smoking
Something I looked up years ago though was Raynaud's syndrome (or disease) as I thought my wife had it. She still won't go and have it checked out, but she's lived with it for 30 odd years now so sod it. Let her suffer.

The aspirin thins the blood allowing it to get through all the tiny veins, which in theory should warm your toes. However, if they are still cold, they could also be cooling your blood exessively and that could make you cold all over.

Have you tried neoprene boot liners?

Or those heat packets - shake 'em and put them in your trouser pockets? I tried some of those one day when we were filming, supplied to all of us as it was so cold. Put one in each trouser pocket and was so warm I was sweating in a cold field in December with just a shirt and jacket on me top. Oh, and a cap. It was cold enough for two pairs of braces, but them packets of crystals, whatever they were, really worked.

This is the idea, these are from Blacks -
099122-99-1233218124373.jpg
£2.49 each, but if they make you feel comfortable they're worth it.

Then again, these are only £1 for two -

3776.jpg
Shop around for hot pad handwarmers on Google

Or these - fo thi feet! £2.99 per pair.

7650.jpg

Thank Jeff

Any chance of getting these in Bulk orders Mr. King ?

:)

Bob

Terry D

Reaction score
2nd vote for the Skeetex boots - superb. I've heard (usually from Kieth Arthur) that rubbing vaseline into your hands works really well and keeps the chill off.

agamemnon

Reaction score
i dont like welly type of boots so i brought myself a pair of army issue gortex boots with thinsulate lining. much firmer footing with a solid pair of boots that dont slip and slide about and offer plenty of ankle support.
to keep my hands warm i have a pair of hiking gloves. water and wind proof and they are fairly thin compared with ski gloves.

ian g

Reaction score
Have you tried putting your hands in the water for a short time? I believe it's an army trick , I've tried it , it seems to work . Your hands aren't really hot but they aren't numbingly cold.

cassey

Reaction score
"Ginkgo biloba" tea is supposed to boost peripheral circulation, but check with the Doc first!

These work for me in capsule form. One a day at this time of the year until March. You still need gloves etc to insulate the extra supply of warm blood to extremities.

dezza

Reaction score
Since I packed up smoking and went onto large quantities of figs a day, I have never had cold feet, even on very cold days in winter.

I also take one Statin tablet a day.

terry m

Reaction score
Another vote for Skeetex boots, they truly do make a difference. Make sure that your footwear is not too tight, my Skeetex are one size larger than normal to allow for thicker socks whilst maintaining an air gap.

For winter anglers this is an important subject if we are to realise pleasure from this pastime when the temperatures pummet.

mark knowles

Reaction score
I've used Skeetex since the 1980's they are very good. You don't say weather your winter fishing is active or passive. If your sitting around watching the indicators waiting for a fish you might be better off with mittens and taking them off when you get a bite. The fingers all enclosed together would help keep each other warm. You can also wear liner gloves underneath so you can layer up on your hands.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I suggest the main problem is sitting still-that, and how your circulation is as an individual because we are all different with different blood pressures....

Yes, its possible to help the situation by using any of the above remedies but being out in the cold and sitting still, unless you are very fortunate, means your extremities will suffer.
I have very low blood pressure (my head can swim if I stand up quickly) and, after talking to my doctor, I accept I will suffer with cold fingers/toes etc.

I have used the chemical warmers for my feet (put them in your boots BEFORE you leave home!) and they work okay as does removing you boots and massaging your feet for a few moments before placing your boots. Its a case of getting some movement in the digits if only for a short spell............

I shall be getting some ski boots soon...Like everything else they will help a bit.......

Strange thing though, I never feel the cold once I'm catching!

paul80

Reaction score
Are you sure you are not going through a sex change;). Every female I have ever known has complained that their hands and feet are cold. :w

Paul

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Don't know if it was in a Goon Show once, but I think it was Secombe had the line "Just warm youself on this woman, she's just coming to the boil." I even forget in what context/script it was.

Anyway, find yourself a woman that's just coming to the boil and warm your hands and feet on her. She'll probably appreciate it, you never know..... :)