Severn at Shrewsbury

J

John McLaren

I am going down to the Shrewsbury area on Thursday (10 Jan) and wondered if anyone could give me a report on the river conditions on Tuesday or Wednesday. Hopefully its not now frozen nor full of snow water. Ta!

S

Steve Plant

John, see my thread from a few days ago. I was on the river a few miles below the confluence of the Severn/Vyrnwy (not too far upstream of Shrewsbury)last Wednesday (2nd)- the river was low & clear but with iced up margins & lumps of ice going downriver. Keen to return on Sunday 6th I shared similar concerns to yours - the EA Rivercall line (09066197744) reported a rising river, probably a combination of snowmelt & rain. When I got there, the river was about 2-3ft higher than Wednesday & quite coloured but the ice totally gone. Again fishing various swims down the edge, I managed a good catch of 6 chub.
I'm back there tomorrow (9th) on the same stretch, Rivercall reports Welshpool to Shrewsbury 0.6m above & falling - I don't know where exactly you are intending fishing, but that sort of level is perfect for my stretch. Water temps are up too; I think it will be perfect for chub tomorrow, no major rain forecast so it should be ok for thursday too. What are you intending fishing for though, not too sure if it's warmed up enough for the barbs yet?
I'll post another mail tomorrow night when I get home to let you know latest conditions.
Steve.

J

John McLaren

Steve, thanks for the info, I'll be fishing on the PAAS stretch at Longner Hall. We are hoping to target the Roach, with Chub as the fall back if conditions aren't right. I look up your report this evening with interest. John

S

Steve Plant

John, good news for you. The river is perfect. It is at a good winter level and not too coloured. I've had a great days fishing, I've kept bait trickling into 8 different swims (mashed bread and small bits of cheesepaste), then fished them in rotation, catching a fish, rebaiting & then returning later. Ten chub, with the pick of the crop at 5.04, plus 5 other fish over 4lbs. Great sport. Most fish fell to breadflake on a light link leger down the edge.
There has been no rain down there today that I know of, it's been cloudy all day and very mild compared to recently. Rivercall reports water temps have risen nearly 4 degreesC in the last few days, so the fish should be up for it on Longnor. I am also a PAAS member, I've fished for chub & barbel a few times on Longnor, what is the roach fishing like on there? I've never targeted the roach on the Severn (half a slice of Warburtons on a number 2 hook is not very subtle for the redfins!) but have often thought about scaling down to give more chance of a nice roach.
Incidentally, several pike were very active today - wished I had taken a pike rod with me. Maybe the same at Longnor.
Good luck tomorrow & let me know how you get on.
Steve.

J

John McLaren

Steve, Saturday evening, first chance to get back to you. The river certainly looked good on Thursday but the fishing was disappointing. We are, like you more, likely to fish for Chub and Barbel but we had decided we must have a go for the quality roach we know exist in the Severn and we had heard that Longner Hall was a good bet, which is why we planned the trip (from North Merseyside). We fished stick down the edge and waggler down the middle and we both fished light leger and swimfeeder without success. I did start getting lighting fast bites on breadflake with mashed bread fed by hand in the mid afternoon - and missed every one perhaps 12 to 15 in all. I wish I knew what they were, I discounted unseasonal minnows and gudgeon because the bites stopped when I tried maggot or caster then started up again on flake.

Eventually, in the dark, I caught a chub of just over a pound, so perhaps that was what it was, but the bite was quite different. I lost a similar sized fish a short while later. Rob had a chub of around 3.5lb and also lost one, also both after dark.

There were two other guys on the stretch after pike and they blanked despite covering a lot of water between them.

Thanks again for the info. John

S

Steve Plant

John, did you get the missed bites on the float or feeder/leger. I've not fished bread much on the float, but on a link leger, if chub were responsible, then even if they were very small fish you would expect to catch a few. Perhaps they were roach, in my experience chub bites on bread are much slower and deliberate & are usually a doddle to hit. I think I remember a year or two ago someone told me of decent roach catches from Longnor towards the upstream limit where it deepens off after the run off under the railway bridge.

Anyway, it'll give you an excuse for another day down there to suss them out. Hmmm. A big, shiny Severn roach.....
Now that would be nice.....

J

John McLaren

Steve, I would like to think it was roach, as my experience of chub is exactly as your. The bites were on the leger and we were at the top end. I'll let you know if I contact any in the future. John