Which Type of Coarse Fishing Do You Do ?

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Well as we seem to have a few Thread Spoilers on this Site, I was wondering what type of Angling You Do ?

Me; I'm an all rounder-- Carp and Boilies, Chub and Cheese, Stick and Trot, Pike and Dead Baits, Perch and Live Bait, Barbel and Maggots, Bolt and Buzzers, Tip and Touch.

The list is endless and I have No Preference, I don't mind blanking and I don't mind catching, it all comes under the heading of Coarse fishing.

Bob

maceo

Reaction score
Waggler and stick float on the rivers and canals for me, after anything swimming.

Very ocassionally have a go with a lure after perch and pike.

Don't like legering - too dull. Don't like lakes and stillwaters - too dull.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I will use (the ever popular;)) bait and wait tactics, while sitting behind buzzers, for carp. I'll fish for barbel. I'll fish for anything that swims with lighter more general tactics. Some days I might target individual species, others I don't. I'm not usually happy with a complete blank, but they happen regardless.
I can't see me ever deliberately targeting pike, zander or eels. Beyond that I'm not overly fussy.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I'd estimate that I fish 70% of my time on Rivers and the remainder on lakes.
So, for me it is Chub, Roach, Dace, Rudd, Barbel, Tench and Carp.

I don't fish for Pike, Perch, Zander or Eels on purpose, I've never really liked lure fishing either and except for my time in Norway as predator fishing doesn't hold much of an interest for me personally.

So, my year is divided into the Coarse Season and the Trout Season; I don't fish for Coarse fish in the close Season (personal choice) as that is when I turn to River and Stillwater Trout. I also try to get a couple of trips per year for Salmon and Sea Trout too.

Typically I'll stay on the Trout fishing from early April until late September and then go all out for Carp and Tench until Winter when it is time for the Chub, Roach and Dace.

Butcherboy

Reaction score
Tranquility and sometimes solitude come first.
Must be nice surrounding's, that's a must now.
More often than not now it's river but I'm no expert :)

maceo

Reaction score
Agree with that ButcherBoy.

Beautiful and tranquil surroundings rank number one on my list too. If I carry my gear a long way it's to get away from the road noise, boats and dog walkers as much as possible - not because I think there's more fish in those spots!

dezza

Reaction score
In addition to all types of coarse fishing, I am a fly fisher and I also fish in the sea.

You can't beat being an all rounder.

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
Most of my fishing is on rivers for roach, chub etc, using my favourite method - running a stick or waggler through. Also particularly enjoy tench fishing. Have rarely fished for pike or carp. If i stumble upon a water with good sized bream or whatever i will target them, but certainly not a devoted specimen hunter - although i have had the odd campaign lasting a few months or seasons.

Choice of surroundings are paramount these days. I have done the opposite - fishing very urban places, places crammed with other anglers and fished where it has been hard work.

cg74

Reaction score
I have and do enjoy every aspect of coarse angling; roving for chub, barbel and grayling, stalking carp and tench, both using one rod. A heavy baiting and waiting game - bivvy and all, for carp, tench, bream and barbel and usually with two rods.
Piking, both with lives/deadbaits and lures (probably my least favoured technique).

I would describe myself as a pleasure angler but certainly not a 'true' all rounder, as I detest catching perch and all fish under a pound, plus try as I have, I'm yet to really gain any real sense of accomplishment in targeting bream (probably to many years spent doing my damnedest to avoid them).

Also, my overriding aim when angling, is ALWAYS to catch!!

Last edited:

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Life-long all-rounder - coarse, game and light sea - trying to master those "fields" / species that appeal to me and not be some mere inept jack of all trades. Nevertheless, my apparent catholicism has its no-go areas - species that don't interest me are totally ignored (but not sneered at); same with waters that, though undoubtedly holding lumps and lunkers, are just too awful to fish on account of location and / or company. Plenty to keep me going fishing-wise until I get the call from Angling Valhalla...

akacrush

Reaction score
I would say I'm an all-rounder but with a tendency to target Tench, Perch and Pike. I almost always fish still waters with the odd canal session too.

catching fish

Dislikes:
Overly stocked "commercial" sites
Pole fishing (tried it, never enjoyed)

Finds amusing:
People needing a barrow to shift all there gear - if you can't carry it you probably don't need it!

mol

Reaction score
Untill about 2 years I pretty much only carp fished, I'd have a few session a year with friends fishing with borrowed tackle for other species but that was only for the craic; I'd been like that for years. I then went and caught the carp of my dreams and since then I just can't find the motivation to carp fish anymore.

For the last two years I've been doing various types of fishing, mainly on rivers indeed I've only had three trips to a still water this year as there is no closed season on rivers where I live.:D Without a shadow of a doubt trotting with a centerpin is my favourite form of fishing at the moment.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
A "selective" all rounder I guess. Trout,sea trout,coarse.Rivers or stillwaters,lead or float but float for preference and I've no interest in targetting "proper" carp,pike,eels or bream. I love trotting but I am almost as happy watching a tip...slightly less so sitting behind alarms but I will do that too.

Typically [starting in the spring] my year will be trout,tench,sea trout moving onto grayling,zander & roach during the autumn/winter. I love barbel & used to fish for them a lot but I've nowhere within easy reach to do that now that's not rotten with signals and I simply cannot tolerate fishing a water full of those damned things.

Last edited:

flightliner

Reaction score
I think I have covered most forms of angling and enjoyed it all , I,ve had my highs and lows . If there was any one species that I have never really gone out to catch on purpose it would be the eel.

waggy

Reaction score
Never done much fly fishing but I like everything else. At the moment 50/50 sea and coarse. Usually get both sets of gear ready the night before and then let the weather next day decide.
Favourite method has to be float in both environments. Nothing like watching that tip give a wiggle and then slide away.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Most species of freshwater fish, excluding cats, with a 60-40 preference for rivers. Rarely fish day ticket waters.
Jerry

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
When i think about it, my fishing is rather limited to what i can find locally. I do drive, but havent driven very far to fish for years. There was a time i would fish anywhere within a 100 mile radius, go up to Norfolk for the weekend or down to Hampshire. These days its rarely more than 10 miles and i like to be there within 15 mins of leaving!. I think the prospect of getting stuck in a jam on the M25 somewhere after a long day out just puts me off.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Water, still or flowing, show me some and whatever is in there I'll have a crack at it. No preferences at all, anything goes.

I've nowhere within easy reach to do that now that's not rotten with signals and I simply cannot tolerate fishing a water full of those damned things.
There's the island in Uxbridge, not seen crays on there at all, ever. Some nice barbel coming out now though I hear in low doubles.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Don't fish that bit, but did once, having known it and fished it since the late 1970s (when it was free water) - there are Signals in it; I caught a small-lobster-sized whacker in the mid 2000s, after having had my ultralight leger tackle repeatedly inched round the river and into the shallows of my home bank by things that clearly were not fish.

Used to fish it, as I said, but don't now, not after Men In Camo with megaleads and rods that would take out tarpon descended on the place and interrogated a slighly tattily dressed "posh geezer" to the point that his usual two- to three-hour visits on some occasions never saw him actually cast a bait into the river. Why fish a zoo when you once knew it as a jungle...?