Which is most difficult?

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
catching fish from a big river like the Thames or the Trent where fish can be anywhere or a small shallow river like the Rother is in places where you can spot fish but they can see you?

I'd say a small, shallow river

chavender

Reaction score
Ilkeston ,derbyshire ,great britain ,earth ,The un
as i live close to the trent i love fishing it ,and never being quite sure what'll come too the net next .but my real passion is small river fishing ,and i'm quite furtunate that the local river erewash is just a stones throw away ,not a prolific river but good fishing when you find them .

i like the intimacy of smaller rivers ,its just me V's the fish and prevailing conditions ,its the hunter gather in me ,i track down the fish then gather them to my net

xenon

Reaction score
different skills, I'd say. For example, location is hardly the key factor on a small river that it is compared to a big river, whereas you can get away with crashing about (to a certain extent) on a big river in a way which would be the kiss of death on a small stream.

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
Harder to keep a swim going on a small river - and easier to disturb the fish upon arrival too. So I would agree harder on a small river..but nicer in most respects and ideal for roving.

terry m

Reaction score
Surely if you pre-suppose that the old angling mantra of 'Locating fish is half the battle' is true, then I would guess that location is harder on a huge expanse such as the Thames. Therefore in my mind the smaller river would be easier - although not necessarily easy.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I certainly don't travel all the way to the Trent to make life difficult for myself. However, while bigger fish than I may manage from my local river may be relatively easy to catch, finding the really big girls is another matter entirely.