where are they?

newbieneil

Reaction score
Ive never caught a grayling and living in the birmingham(somebody has to) im pretty sure ive got some travelling to do to find some,where do you think the closest place i have a chance of catching them on the float ?...ive heard the upper severn by shrewsbury has a few but is there anywhere else i can try for them with a 70mile radius of birmingham?

Cheers-Neil

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
I think the upper Severn on the BAA book is your best bet. The area around Welshpool is a good bet if memory serves.

---------- Post added at 22:38 ---------- Previous post was at 22:36 ----------

The other place to try is the Dee around Llangollen, but that might be just outside your target radius.

terry m

Reaction score
Search out clean chalk streams and you will find grayling. Chalk streams my not however be in abundance around Brum

newbieneil

Reaction score
They certainly arent in abundance in brum terry! sean-i will take a look at the baa-im going to get a season ticket anyway in the new year so can shoot up to welshpool no probs ,as for the teme -ive fished it quite a few times around knightwick and bransford and . I know parts of the teme have been so dry this year that they have dried up completely and the e.a have had to rescue fish that were cut off,not sure where exactly though.

cheers for the info chaps

p.s-when would be a good time to fish for them?...are they more prolific in the winter months?

cheers

flightliner

Reaction score
Ive never caught a grayling and living in the birmingham(somebody has to) im pretty sure ive got some travelling to do to find some,where do you think the closest place i have a chance of catching them on the float ?...ive heard the upper severn by shrewsbury has a few but is there anywhere else i can try for them with a 70mile radius of birmingham?

Cheers-Neil

Neil, bang on your seventy mile radius, if all else fails then nip up to sheffield town centre, loads in the river Don thereabouts.Easy peasy too.

cg74

Reaction score
I'm not trying to be argumentative or anything like that, but the Kennet must be 100 miles from Birmingham and the Itchen has got to be even further?
I am sure the OP stated a 70 mile radius of Birmingham.

Neil, if you do get a BAA ticket, I reading a write up on their stretches of the Lugg and it was singing its praises, I've never fished there though, so I am only relaying others findings.

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
I caught grayling in the teme near tenbury wells in September... pretty sure that's within range.

(They all sounded a bit brummie round there anyway :))

mark knowles

Reaction score
70 miles from Brum covers a lot of water, most of the upper Severn, Dee and Wye, the Vrynwy the Cheshire rivers, the Monnow, it does indeed reach the Don but you'll pass the Derbyshire Derwent to get there. It reaches the Gwash in Rutland, I believe there are a few in the upper Welland and the upper Witham too. I'd look at the first two maybe the Derwent and as Paul Boote suggested I think I'd look further up the Severn than Welshpool.