Day Ticket Lakes in West Berks

Kevin Hargreaves

Reaction score
This is my first post on here as I have just started fishing again after 15 years off. I joined my local club which has some nice lakes but they won't allow guests in the closed season and I wanna go fishing with my mate at the weekend.

I live in Newbury and was wondering if there are any decent day ticket waters in the area, I don't mind travelling a bit, say an hours drive.

We would like to catch some Tench, Bream, carp, Roach etc.

Its got to be some where nice with lots of features to fish to, lots of trees etc. Don't really like barren carp puddles.

Cheers

W

Wolfman Woody

Pond Wood Farm at White Waltham near Maidenhead. Should be good this time of year. Tel: 0118 934 5299

Royal Berkshire Fisheries, Winkfield, (too many rules for me) Tel: 01344 891101

Finch Farm Fisheries Bray Nr Maidenhead. No tel no. sorry.

For big carp - Burghfield Blue Pool carp lake Reading
www.cemexangling.co.uk tel: 01932 583630

W

Wolfman Woody

Also -

- White Swan Lake -
Location in the South East:
Dinton Pastures, near Wokingham, Berkshire, England.
Day Tickets: cost ?3.50.
Facilities: Toilets and disabled facilities available.

And there's one in Wokingham on Redlake Lane. I forgetthe name of the fishery, commercial and really is a mud hole in the ground.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
I think the one Woody is on about is Holme Grange which is run by Crowsports in Crowthorne. It is just a circular irrigation lake for the farmland but is stuffed full of carp and other silver fish.

Crowsports

There's also some nice little lakes run by Hartley Wintney at Sandhurst just alongside the CEMEX Yateley complex:

HWAS - Church Farm

Tickets from Academy Angling Sandhurst just around the corner.

W

Wolfman Woody

You might be right there Matt. Never fished it then, but isn't Dinton part of an SSSI?

If so then it would be.

EDIT - Looks like you're right Matt when you read this.

Kevin Hargreaves

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies folks. We are going to try Barton Court lake at kintbury as its quite close and I found some photos on their website and the lakes look well nice.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Kevin, I have fished the river there many times but never the lake.Please report back if it is any good.

Andy Navarro

Reaction score
Have you tried Wylies lake behind the bowling alley in lower way?Lovely lake with deep margins and clear water.Good tench water plenty of small rudd and alledgedly a small shoal of big bream.Virtually a carp free zone,go to the RDAA website for details catch reports etc

Dave Burton

Reaction score
I have fished At Pondwood Fisheries many times now. I have fished most places in Berkshire and not on comes close to Pondwood for all round fishing. Match angling,Catfish, Carp, Tench, Perch, Roach, Cafe, Tiolets, 2 car parks, 98 pegs on three waters. Give it a try. They have a good informative forum that you can access through their web site.

Nik Foad

Reaction score
Pondwood - was my first visit to a commercial and 3 years later I still keep visiting. 3 good lakes offering something for every angler of all skill levels from small to medium carp in the middle lake to cats upto 39 and carp upto 27 in the front lake.

I beleive the owner has started to build a 4th lake to cater for predator fishing. Have seen the digging in action...

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Yep,Pondwood has been pretty good to me over the years especially in winter when its hard to catch elsewhere......its the sort of place where you can restore confidence BUT having said that,its not that easy!At a Tenner a day it might be expensive for some but it is a good neat fishery and most baits catch............I used floating crust with amazing success taking up to a dozen good carp in a few hours!2" lumps are sucked under with relish BUT this is in the warmer months-freelined meat and maggots do it in winter......

Most people seem to fish lead weights but spend a lot of time missing instant hits.If I wanted to fish further out or have the bait hold station I tended to add an arseley bomb to the floating crust set-up and allow the crust to float to the top-can be very effective!!

Dinton White Swan lake-some massive fish present-I saw an 11lb tench caughtsome 15/20 years ago and I have had some very very good bags of tench BUT again its not that easy-Ive gone weeks without a fish but when they are feeding it can be great!Personally I suggest you have to make a long term plan to fish the place with a proper baiting programme and fish it every minute you can.I even developed a very large weighted float 14" long fished as a slider for the 20' deep swims!

I spent weeks just plumbing the bottom in every swim to give me a map of the bottom and had a weed rake made to clear some of the tons of weed to make a decent swim but I could fish weekdays so I had the place to myself even in mid-summer!

Best bait?-for the tench(my quarry)I always did best with 3 grains of corn tipped with 2 maggots/casters(I always thought it looked like some form of snail!)with lots of groundbait of white/brown crumb/hemp/casters.

But make no mistake you can find easier places to fish!!!

Hope this helps you!!