Royalty Fishery..

murraybank

Reaction score
Hi,

Fancy a total change to are fishing this weekend so me and two friends are going to fish the Royalty..

I have spoken to Davis Tackle which have given me some good advice but was just wondering if any one on here could maybe give some advise on baits etc..

One of us will be going all out for the Pike and me and the other one will be trotting for what ever comes along..

Cheers
Chris..

maceo

Reaction score
That's the number one place I'd like to fish. I've read so much about it and people singing its praises.

I'm determined to get down there and fish it myself one day.

Let us know how you get on!

David Dalton

Reaction score
For pike the large slack by the mouth of the Clockhouse Stream, and the Clockhouse Stream itself are some of the most popular places. When more water is flowing through the river the Little Weir is also popular. Any of the deep slacks on the fishery are worth trying also.
As for trotting, red maggots are probably as good as anything, the more you use the better. You may find sweetcorn worth a try though - it tends to attract the better dace and roach. There are many good trotting swims, Greenbanks, The Car Park, The Pipes, Barlins to name a few. If you don't know where these swins are located on the Royalty, there is a map on the Davis Tackle website.

syhaze

Reaction score
i highly recommend fishing for the pike along the Piles, especially when the fishery is low on water as it is currently....

murraybank

Reaction score
Thanks for all your replys..

Have any of you fished on the Royalty in the last few week's..

If so how did you get on???

Cheers

eddyfish

Reaction score
Hi Chris,

The Royalty is always a hit and miss fishery. It can be very hard indeed or weirdly easy. The rewards of sticking at it are great though.

Pike wise the best areas are the slacks as previosuly mentioned. Get some smelt, big ones around 8 inchs, and stay mobile. If you do not get a bite in the first 30-45 minutes then move. You should find one willing to feed. Word of warning, the Avon pike are about the strongest I have ever encountered so do not fish anything less then 15lb main line and hang on!:)

Trotting this time of year can be hard. A lot of the small fish move down to the harbour in the Autumn, but there are still a few to be found: Big bream, huge perch and dace to near British record size. You will also catch a lot of parr, both sea trout and salmon, so treat them very carefully.

If you have a heavy float rod and a pin, get yourself 4-6 pints of maggots (half red, half white) and trot for the barbel. Again do not fish too light! :eek:

Can be fantastic sport and there is no finer way of catching them. Keep the feed going in and they will come.

Good luck and enjoy one of the best fisheries around.

David Dalton

Reaction score
I fished Barlins last Saturday. Lots of dace on trotted maggot, bigger dace and roach on trotted sweetcorn.

murraybank

Reaction score
Thank you very much Eddyfish and David,Just the sort of information I was looking for..

Eddyfish - I'm sure your the one that cught that Bass a few weeks back??

David - I've never fished the Barlins, Is this part on the Royalty??

Cheers..
Chris..

David Dalton

Reaction score
Yes - Barlins is at the very bottom of the Royalty. It's below the bypass bridge where the river divides. Barlins is the left hand channel (looking downstream).

murraybank

Reaction score
A big thank you to all for the replys ,It really did help for are day on the Royalty..

Not many people on the fishery first thing so one of my mates fishing for pike went to the slack on the piles and me and my another friend went down to the pipes to trot for Barbel or anything else that came along..

I fished right in the middle of the pipes and started to feed maggot and hemp,My friend fished just above me and done the same..

My first cast 7lb 3oz Barbel,Second cast after a 10 minute rest 9lb 2oz Barbel..

It didn't really matter if I did not catch another fish after that because I was so happy with them two fish..

My mate above me ended with four Barbel to 5lb but also lost another six because of a weed bed in front of him(one of them did look a very big fish)..

I finished of the day just walking round trying swims here and there and caught somewhere between 15-20 nice Dace..

Unfortunately my friend fishing for pike had just the one dropped take and that was it,One person was casting very close to his floats from the over side of the river that did not go down very well with him..

Anyway brillant day on a wonderful river..

Cheers
Chris..