Trapper or Catcher ?

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Well I will hold my hands up now and say I'm at heart a Trapper !!

I'm regarded by my mates as a reasonable Float Fishermen and have practised most forms of legering with some degree of success.

I have also fished since an early age and learnt/was taught the methods of the day, which involved Match Rods/ Peacock Quill Floats/ Centrepins, which later moved on to Mk1V Carp Rods and Ambidex Reels.

I was also an avid reader of Angling books (they gave up on me at school) and without the Angling times would never have learnt to read (bloody Secondary Moderns)!!

Having learnt to fish what would now be considered in a Traditional Style, I soon realised that fishing was divided into two sections.

Catchers, those who perfect the Art Of Angling, improving their reaction times and finessing the finer points of an exisiting method.

And Trappers, those who set out to let the fish do the work and hook themselves.

Some of course say that the second dicipline is hardly sporting, it takes the skill away from angling.

Others even say the Modern Methods developed through Carp Fishing will be the death of Fishing as we know it !!

I was around at the Birth of the Boilie and used it on the Rivers long before many had even seen it on Still waters.

Amazing really when you think about it, bolt rigs and Boilies have been around for 40 years and yet some anglers younger than that, think it's the Curse of Devil on rivers ?

So what are YOU, and why ?

Bob

Last edited:

barbelboi

Reaction score
I guess I spend 60% of my time on rivers and the other 40% on pits/ponds. On rivers I will predominately trot, freeline, quivertip, running lead, in that order with the smaller proportion, about 15%, bolt rigging. On still water I use a float or bubble more often than any other method, with a bolt rig bringing up the rear, filling approximately 20%. Therefore, although I do not completely alienate myself from ‘trapping’ , I’m not quite in the ‘Hugh Glass’ category.
Jerry

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
There you go, you try to stimulate a bit of a discussion and get one line answers !!

Bob

Simon K

Reaction score
I'm not sure where I'd fit in really. Does fishing a static bait denote "trapper" by default, even when you're having to time a strike? If that's the case, I'm a trapper. Although I do occasionally use a float, but I can't remain standing for long periods due to a back problem.
Some of my angling is pure trapping, bolt-rigs; some is on quiver-tip, some float-legering, my last session I was on light bobbins.......depends on the species, the bait and the conditions.

I struggle to understand why some anglers indulge themselves in hubris over the method(s) employed, since in my opinion a good angler will employ a mix of methods that are, foremost, the best for the job on the day and also those he enjoys most, or is best at. The more methods you have in your armoury the better your chances since you can fish having made an informed decision.

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I like to think that I'm a thinker,so I can take avantage of all methods available.

Sorry it's a one liner, but anymore than that could be open to nit picking or false assumptions by one or two. :wh

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
I'm becoming more and more a catcher. Catching in my opinion is a mobile approach, seeking out my quarry and, if I don't catch quickly in a swim, moving on. This has been a bit of a transition for me as I'd got into the habit of selecting I swim I knew would produce and waiting for it to do so.

I still do a bit of trapping as certain species and venues lend themselves to it, but catching suits me better.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I'd say I'm a catcher

A Trapper to me is someoen who sets out one method to catch a fish and sticks with it - I'll change from flaot to feeder and viceverca in aone session if it's not working - I'll free line bread and then if the carp arn't taking it switch to a bottoem bait

I'll play around with my rig/float set up it I cacth

What I wont do is set out with one thing in mind and stick with it if it's not working

pellethead15

Reaction score
if you are are catcher and you use loosefeed or groundbait are you a trapper?

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Off my P.B.s

Grayling-Catcher
Pike-Catcher
Roach-Catcher
Rudd-Catcher
Crucian-Catcher
Eel-Catcher
Perch-Catcher
Dace-Catcher
Zander-Catcher
---------
Barbel-Trapper
Carp-Trapper
Tench-Trapper
Bream-Trapper
Chub-Trapper

I don't think Predators lend themselves to Trapping, as there is always the chance of a Deep Hooked Fish.

Most of the Catchers were on the Float or Touch legering.

Just goes to s you, there are still lots of species which respond better to Catching than Trapping :)

Bob