trotting rod advice

stuartpengs

Reaction score
I also use a 13' Preston Carbonactive Sentient and it is a fine rod but I also have a number of others, which are a good deal cheaper and perfectly adequate. To some extent it depends on what I am trotting for, if it's barbel, then I will use an old mark1 Drennan tench float rod. If I am fishing for anything else I tend to grab the first one that comes to hand and use that. As with all these things is a case of 'it's the driver that matters and not the carriage'.

I can almost hear the inrush of air as all the tackle tarts suck their cheeks in at the thought of this heresy :D

This holds especially true when it comes to Wallis casting you do not need a special rod to do it with you can use pretty much anything. At my demonstrations nowadays I take a perverse delight in taking a truly (by today's standards) rubbish rod and pin type reel and putting out a long cast with it just to prove the point it's worth it just to see the look on everyone's face :D

Last edited:

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've got that way now that if it was made in Britain and has been moved abroad I just won't buy it.

Funny mate!
Some folk think I am a bit odd because I am labour through and through (and proud of the fact!) but I support hunting (I still don't get that!) simply because it is part of our heritage, and I support anything that is truly British.
The thing I am getting at is, as you said, its a disgrace when companies that claim to be British desert this fine country of ours and send work abroad just to save a few quid!
I take my hat off to the Japanese (Diawa, and certain car makers) for sending work over here, and companies like John Smedley and Barbour for keeping work here because as they say, they are still proud to put the ''MADE IN BRITAIN'' badge on their products!
Sorry to go on, and yes I know that preston rods are made abroad, but unlike some tackle manufactures they don't try to pretend that ''they are British through and through''

Anyway, going back to the original thread, buy whatever suits you (and your wallet) but you will not go far wrong with any of the options the lads on here have recomended...even hardy, if you have REALLY deep pockets!!!!

mark

Last edited by a moderator:

Rog Hill

Reaction score
For 90% of my trotting I use the Drennan floatmaster combo 13/15 ft and it has handled chub up to 6 lb. However I do not think it would be to comfortable with much heavier than that and I certainly wouldn't be targetting barbel with it. However for the roach, dace grayling, chub I find it is an excellent rod. I normally fish it at 15 ft which gives me in my opinion that much better control of the float.

When going heavier I use a Harrisons GTI 14 ft which I would also recommend.

frothy

Reaction score
OK the purchase has been made of a 14ft aeroacast float, intrestingly it has been mentioned in this thread as far as im aware!
the rather large discount helped sway me...

sam vimes

Reaction score
OK the purchase has been made of a 14ft aeroacast float, intrestingly it has been mentioned in this thread as far as im aware!
the rather large discount helped sway me...

Frothy,
if you've seen Aerocasts mentioned then it would probably have been by me. However, I haven't mentioned them in this thread. I do love the Aerocasts and have a fair old selection of them. The one I don't have is the standard 14'. I have the 14'FA though as it has the tippier action that I prefer for trotting.

watatoad

Reaction score
I notice that Hardy have a new range coming on stream (XT) which seems a bit more reasonably priced, plus if you shop around some of the original Marksman rods are being heavily discounted to clear stock. I'm thinking of treating myself to one.

STEVE

Go for it you will love them, I do...hehehe

Although being a very pro English sort of bloke Scotland is as abroad as China to me...hehehe

Seriously like most on here I too am fed up with all of our manufacturing industry going out of Britain.

Last edited:

rudd enthusiast

Reaction score
Shakespeare mach 3 13ft which I amazingly picked up for a little over 40 quid on ebay. Is a beautiful rod with a crisp action and does every job you could want a match rod to do with true class.

I have the purist tench float which is lovely but I only really use it for tench. I have had more on the float this year than any other method despite spending more time behind buzzers for them, I recon it would be a good large chub and barbel float rod though.

Keith M

Reaction score
I have been using a Drennan MKIV Tench float rod for trotting for barbel and Chub on my local streams and rivers and it has given me excellent service using a stick float over the last couple of seasons, and it's very light too; with Barbel caught from a pound or so up to just over 9lb. Some of the other similar Drennan rods are supposed to be even better.

However; I’m surprised that no one as mentioned the Harrisons 15ft hollow tipped GTI float rod for trotting on rivers and streams.
I am told this is a fantastic rod for trotting for decent sized fish and a favourite of quite a few well known river anglers I have talked to; (and a rod that I have asked the wife to get me this xmas).

For much lighter work I still use my old 13ft Diawa Amorpheous whisker light float rod which has a brilliantly light and crisp action with recomended hooklengths of 3lb right down to 8oz; and which I can hold all day long without needing to put it down (it was made by Diawa in scotland I think)

Last edited:

barbelboi

Reaction score
I have been using a Drennan MKIV Tench float rod for trotting for barbel and Chub on my local streams and rivers and it has given me excellent service using a stick float over the last couple of seasons, and it's very light too; with Barbel caught from a pound or so up to just over 9lb. Some of the other similar Drennan rods are supposed to be even better.

However; I’m surprised that no one as mentioned the Harrisons 15ft hollow tipped GTI float rod for trotting on rivers and streams.
I am told this is a fantastic rod for trotting for decent sized fish and a favourite of quite a few well known river anglers I have talked to; (and a rod that I have asked the wife to get me this xmas).

For much lighter work I still use my old 13ft Drennan Amorpheous whisker light float rod which has a brilliantly light and crisp action with recomended hooklengths of 3lb right down to 8oz; and which I can hold all day long without needing to put it down (it was made by Diawa in scotland I think)

As mentioned in other threads I use a 15' GTI spliced and GTI SU, hollow, and would recommend them to anyone, apart from Sam, who will rubbish them in preference of a Shimano *******:D;) For smaller rivers/feeders it's the old Normark Avenger.
Jerry

sam vimes

Reaction score

I have the 15' GTi SU but have other rods I use in preference to it. They are certainly very capable of extracting good sized fish.

soffit

Reaction score
There was someone that said they had a 20' trotting rod? Are these people normal? If I was sitting on the other bank on my river he would have probably poked me eyes out by now;)

A

alan whittington

I also use a 13' Preston Carbonactive Sentient and it is a fine rod but I also have a number of others, which are a good deal cheaper and perfectly adequate. To some extent it depends on what I am trotting for, if it's barbel, then I will use an old mark1 Drennan tench float rod. If I am fishing for anything else I tend to grab the first one that comes to hand and use that. As with all these things is a case of 'it's the driver that matters and not the carriage'.

I can almost hear the inrush of air as all the tackle tarts suck their cheeks in at the thought of this heresy :D

This holds especially true when it comes to Wallis casting you do not need a special rod to do it with you can use pretty much anything. At my demonstrations nowadays I take a perverse delight in taking a truly (by today's standards) rubbish rod and pin type reel and putting out a long cast with it just to prove the point it's worth it just to see the look on everyone's face :D

Agree with your views,apart from one thing,i personally would rather have what i consider the best(or near to it),regardless of price,than prove that i can trot with a bean cane,it just makes things more enoyable,be it normark,hardy,whatever,ive been disappointed so many times,at this moment in time Preston are right up there,ive never owned a Drennan rod,although a few people i know that have,have had odd ones break and their not the clumsy type.