Making a bread punch

mol

Reaction score
Due to living in France I can't seem to find a bread punch in the local tackle shops. I'm not prepared to pay P&P from the UK for a bread punch set as it costs more than the punchs. The only option is to make a set, I've tried google but to no avail, so does anybody know an easy way to make a set?

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
I made punches by buying brass tube in various sizes from model shops (in rapid decline, sadly) then Aralditing 2" lengths into hard balsa handles. The brass tube is pushed into the balsa until just the right amount of tube is showing. The balsa is shaped and varnished and the tube edge sharpened. A 30cm piece of tube is enough for 6 punches so I made spare sets that I sold off which covered the cost of the tube - ended up with free bread punches!

The old chromed-brass car radio aerials give tube in the finer diameters, as do old brass rod ferrules, and brass gun cartridges. My first bread punches were made from .22 cartridges.

mol

Reaction score
Cheers for that.

I don't know of a model shop but every other fella I know happens to shoot so I'm sure I can get a few different sized cartridges

tench2k3

Reaction score
i would have thought anything round right the right diameter could be used old biros ect

904_cannon

Reaction score
Durham City, Co Durham ... STILL The Land of The P
I use different sizes of printer ink syringes with the nozzle end cut off with an edge put on, I even made a large punch, about 1.5", from and old cycle tyre pump.
That way several pieces of flake etc can be compressed to make a long bread stick and threaded onto the hook/hair. I dont do small :)

little oik

Reaction score
I use a few bits of copper pipe left overs ,like wise don't do small, 10mm,15 mm and 22mm.

dangermouse

Reaction score
Simply push the bread through the centre of a coconut ring with your finger. This way you have a breadpunch and a delicious snack. If coconut is not your thing replace with a chocolate ring.

audi

Reaction score
Aye. It's a big 'un. At least average index finger sized. On a similar topic.....has one perchance perused the cover of the latest Fishtec catalogue?

dangermouse

Reaction score
Aye. It's a big 'un. At least average index finger sized. On a similar topic.....has one perchance perused the cover of the latest Fishtec catalogue?

Excellent, nice to have some variety in size.

Can`t say I`ve seen the catalogue. Is there a link where I can see it?

audi

Reaction score
Erm.....:confused: If you're anybody in the fishing world, it'll come through the post or in your next mag. Actually, it's in Decembers' IYCA.
Waddaya mean link? Teks me all me time to log on never mind cloudify stuff :eek:

dangermouse

Reaction score
Erm.....:confused: If you're anybody in the fishing world, it'll come through the post or in your next mag. Actually, it's in Decembers' IYCA.
Waddaya mean link? Teks me all me time to log on never mind cloudify stuff :eek:

lol I`m definitely not anyone in the fishing world. Closest I come is knowing Nick Speed.

Only came back to fishing this year and don`t buy any mags or papers. I`m quite happy tootling round the interweb to find any news/techniques that interest me.

904_cannon

Reaction score
Simply push the bread through the centre of a coconut ring with your finger. This way you have a breadpunch and a delicious snack. If coconut is not your thing replace with a chocolate ring.
Or a Jammy Dodger once youve licked the jam out. Ideal for catching dogbuscuit fish, or even the more recent catbiscuit fish.

Last edited:

chav professor

Reaction score
The thing with biscuits is that they are basically designed around the same shape and dimensions.

These new biscuit punches will enable the resourcefull angler to keep 'ringing the changes' and perhaps come up with a bisuit that no one else will be using on your river or lake. It must give you an edge.....
Bakery_Design_400x293.gif

904_cannon

Reaction score
Well Christian, we all know where your tendencies lie ;)

Have you met "I've slept with just about about every member of the CSG" Phil, yet?

Just thought, using those and other shaped punches, there is no end to the different shaped bread pellets that could be made. A Christmas Tree shape might do very well over the next few weeks.

chav professor

Reaction score
Well Christian, we all know where your tendencies lie ;)

Have you met "I've slept with just about about every member of the CSG" Phil, yet?

He has not yet had the pleasure..... That was all Robin's in Rippon. I have sorted my accomodation on the wye and opted for the 'happy to room share' with anyone option.... i'm that easy.......

Mind, that little night spot we had in Rippon was heaving with skirt......... some of the states of female undress, I did'nt know where to look...........

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
On a couple of occasions when I've managed to lose a punch, the same result can be achieved by compressing the bread then cutting out the size required with your thumbnail before putting on the hook. Not symetrical but worked for me.