Korum Day Shelter II + Wrap

audi

Reaction score
Hi guys, I need some help. Just bought the above to cover days and the odd night session; mainly 'cos I'm a tackle tart and like Korum gear. So please....no "Should have got a Force 8" etc. I've just popped the whole thing up in me fishing room using velcro on the anchor points 'cos I can't get the spikes through the floor:cool: It's me first ever bivvyso I couldn't wait:eek:
I think I've sussed the groundsheet out; laying this down then lining up the shelter's anchor points with those on the groundsheet seems to give a good fit. The only concern I've got is that there seems to be some loose material, even when the top and back tension bars are tight. I would have expected the shelter to be fairly taut over the frame, but it's not.
I cracked on and flopped the wrap over the shelter and found exactly the same, what seems to be a less than tight fit. I can imagine this crackling and flapping on in the wind.
Any body got any tips with the assembly? The Shelter instructions weren't bad but there was nothing with the groundsheet and wrap. I know I'll probably get more tension into the thing when the spikes are firmly anchored into the ground, but it doesn't seem quite as sweet as I expected it to be. Help anyone?

sam vimes

Reaction score
Ok, first up I need to stress that I don't own the Korum. I have seen the original in use though. I also own a similar shelter. I'd suggest that you are wasting your time even worrying about it until you've got the thing pegged out properly on fairly flat ground. Even then it's worth noting that even a slight slope on a real world fishing peg is going to leave the shelter looking less than brochure perfect. That's the case whether you are talking about a £400+ full on bivvy or a sub £100 day shelter. It's also likely that you won't put it up perfectly first time anyway. I've found that, with every shelter or bivvy I've owned, the way I've put them up has evolved with time and practice.

audi

Reaction score
Thanks Sam. Pretty much as I thought; I'm fairly savvy with most stuff, and like you say, "brochure perfect" is hard to achieve. Rest assured I'll have the bloody thing up and down a dozen times before I embarrass meself on the bank! Like many things, the guys who live with kit day in day out often find shortcuts to get good results and I thought there might be a tip or two out there. More hard yards I suppose.
Cheers bud, Brian.

---------- Post added at 18:04 ---------- Previous post was at 16:31 ----------

HaHa! Sussed it! They iron the damn things for the photo shoots! :w:w:D

terry m

Reaction score
Sam is correct you need to lash it together in the garden using the pegs to get a proper evaluation.

The fact that the wrap followed the same lack of tautness as the bivvy suggests that the bivvy is not pegged out tightly enough to start with.

A bit of practice will get it drum tight, if not brochure perfect !!

Good Luck

andreagrispi

Reaction score
This is a brilliant piece of kit; once it is properly pegged out it is very tight. Last year I was fished a very exposed pit, the wind was so strong you couldn't breath when you faced into it. The shelter was rock solid - provided perfect sanctuary from the wind/rain.