River fishing on your door step..

murraybank

Reaction score
I'm a mad keen River angler and always will be, From time to time I will fish on Canals and lakes but my first love is Rivers..

I have fished and do fish many famous stretches every year from the Dorset stour,Avon,Seven etc.. but I have a small part of River 3 mins walk from my house that I have now had 5 of my personal bests from..

Carp 18lb,Perch 3lb.9oz,dace 13oz,Barbel 10lb 5oz(last week on freelined bread) and then there was yesterdays session..

For the last couple of years I have found a small pocket of large Chub, And upto yesterday have had 3 fish just over 6lb..

I had a couple of hours free so went armed with a few pints of maggot and my trotting rod to try a few swims further down river, Little did I know that by the end of those couple of hours I would be looking at a colossal Chub weighing in at 7lb 2oz...

Not only making my day,month,year but my angling life:)

So the moral of the story is yes we do have beautiful and famous rivers to fish all over the country but sometimes dont forget the ones on your door step..

Cheers,Chris..

soffit

Reaction score
Carp & barbel in the same river.... you are truly blessed.

murraybank

Reaction score
Simon - Begins with a C ;)

Lord Paul - Yes the mile or so of the the river I fish is free:)

Most of the river you wouldnt even think that there is any fish in it at all, But it does hold some crackers..

The only fish that I have really been frustrated with is the Roach,I ve had a few upto 1 1/2 lb but really would love to catch a 2..

But after fishing the river for 7 to 8 years now I don't think there is any in there..

chav professor

Reaction score
Thats some going!!!! well done. you are correct there are many forgotten rivers that recieve very little pressure and hold cracking fish.

stu_the_blank

Reaction score
Well done Chris. Sounds fabulous. I'd keep very quiet about it though!!

Maybe too late. Sounds like some may have guessed.

The lack of pressure is an asset, pressure doesn't take long to affect the fishing, especially chub. Magnificent seven by the way.

Stu

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
Ooh you've had a lot of visitors to your profile page Chris! :D

My local river (10 minutes away) is the Calder, but unfortunately it does't produce fish of the stamp of your river. Give some nice grayling and roach fishing though - a trotting river.

904_cannon

Reaction score
Durham City, Co Durham ... STILL The Land of The P
The Calder is literally at the end of my mother in-laws garden in Wakefield. She has lived there almost 50 years but Ive never tried fishing it. On a summers evening fish are topping just about everywhere.
I keep saying I'll take a bow saw to make a way through the badly overgrown trees.
She will be 89 this year so I might not have many more opportunities ;)

I did once see an angler fishing the opposite bank but he didn't stay long. It was a hell of a walk for him from either upstream or downstream. Given the effort to get there I think I'd have given it a while longer.

I live less than mile away from the Wear, I now have all the time in the world, but I find it just about impossible to negotiate the high and steep flood banks :( If i did manage to get down and the rain started I would not get back up again - then there is the long walks from the access points, on two crutches :eek:

terry m

Reaction score
I am lucky enough to be 5 minutes from the Hampshire Avon at Ibsley.

Great river but I suspect it is much more pressurised than your local paradise Chris.

Great going

murraybank

Reaction score
Thank you all for your comments,

Stu - I have never said that the river is pressured or unpressured,Unfortunately the part I fish is very pressured mostly by eastern europeans that will take anything they can catch :(.

Its also full of rubbish left by so called anglers so its not at all paradise!!!

But as I said in a previous message there are some cracking fish in there, I have fished it on and off now for over 8 years and bye no means is it a easy water..

I have had to work very hard to catch my pb's..

Cheers.

stu_the_blank

Reaction score
Doesn't sound quite so perfect now!:(

Makes your achievements all the more noteworthy. Well done mate.:w

Stu

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Probably not the best weather to be out, so to catch fish of this quality is true reward for someone prepared to put in the graft!

Apart from anything else its very nice to read your elation and pleasure in the way you've written your Post..............

Congratulations on some great fish, but I do hope you'll not end up in a queue for your swim!!

7lb plus chub-fish of dreams for most anglers-including me!

valleybrown

Reaction score
Great thread. It really shows that there are hidden treasures out there.

It makes me realise how lucky I am. I do most of my fishing on my local river. It's a ten minute walk away and has only ever been a game/trout fishing river. This has masked the fact that it holds amazing stocks of unfished chub, perch, pike and roach. The owner lets me course fish there because I "asked politely" thirty years ago! I was fifteen at the time:)
The game/trout guys don't believe it when they see me catching fish other than trout and salmon:eek:

valleybrown

Reaction score
Blackstar

luck guy

my local river is the Rother 15 minutes walk

30 years ago if you fell in it you would have melted it was that toxic - now it has some good fish in it

Thirty years ago we used to float four miles down "My river" on a repaired tractor inner-tube. Couldn't do it now, not enough water to float in! And the tube wouldn't take by weight!

Very Lucky, I even get to drive a tractor, pull trees out of the river, create little weir and runs, dig out streams with his JCB, help when the re-stocking truck turns up and feed once a week from the skrettings bin.
Beats the hell out of sitting behind a desk messing around with IT equipment!

laguna

Reaction score
My local river (10 minutes away) is the Calder, but unfortunately it does't produce fish of the stamp of your river. Give some nice grayling and roach fishing though - a trotting river.

The Calder around Brighouse was my favourite spot back in the 60's and 70's. I had some cracking fish in those days including a 13/14" roach PB estimated to weigh 3lb! bloody fantastic roach fishing. I also had some very big tench too all caught on trotted single maggot - apart from the odd lob and bread, it was all we ever used for bait back then.
My fav spot was upstream from the huddersfied Rd bridge (bottom of weir) and above between bridge Rd. heres a google map reference 53.699044,-1.783128

Sadly the Allied Collied fire (low moor) http://www.hse.gov.uk/comah/sragtech...lliedcol92.htm in the early 90's was responsible for a huge fish kill from chemicals washed into the river by fire engine dousing. It was thought to have decimated 40+miles of prime fishing and didnt really recover quickly enough, as by the time I came out of the army it was dead and it was around that time I started (nay pushed) to take up fishing on a few commercial waters.

watatoad

Reaction score
Sounds like an amazing river and certainly one for the dedicated crazy angler to give a go.

Well done on your amazing catches.

murraybank

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

For all of you that do still bye the Angling Times you will see my picture of the Chub in this week's paper..

Cheers
Chris..