feeder reel

john woody

Reaction score
am thinking of getting a new spare feeder reel but dont know what to go for any thoughts on this. can go upto 100 quid

paul80

Reaction score
Hi

Depending of if you are a tackle tart or not, but the browning Backfire range are worth a look, there are 3 in the range and each offered in the 30 & 40 spool size.

One with rear drag, one with front drag and the last one had front drag and a bait runner. All the reels also come with a spare alluminium spools as well.

And depending on where you get them they are available from £40 to £50 each so well within you budget, so you can get two.

Unless it has to be a Diawa or Shimano then I don't have a clue as I have never owned reels from either.

Paul

little oik

Reaction score
I would get a Shimano Super GTM RC these are built for feeder fishing .Or dependant on your needs possibly a Shimano baitrunner as it can be classed as another string to your bow .

barbelboi

Reaction score
I've been using Shimano DL4000s for nearly a year now and IMO are very good reels and may be picked up for around £60. Good feeder reels which give you a decent baitrunner as well.
Jerry

nick dv

Reaction score
I've been using Shimano DL4000s for nearly a year now and IMO are very good reels and may be picked up for around £60. Good feeder reels which give you a decent baitrunner as well.
Jerry

I agree with the above. Unless you are a fashion fisherman, there are plenty of reels around the £40 - £60 mark, (you'll probably have plenty of change), that will do the job admirably.

Cheers, Nick :)

john woody

Reaction score
I would get a Shimano Super GTM RC these are built for feeder fishing .Or dependant on your needs possibly a Shimano baitrunner as it can be classed as another string to your bow .

i already have a shimano baitrunner st 4000fa which is a nice reel

andreagrispi

Reaction score
Spend another 80quid and get yourself the best feeder reel money can buy - a daiwa TDX 3012

A

alan whittington

John,have a look at the daiwa exceler 3500-4000,i think the top of the range model is an 'x'(but not sure,even though i have 2),the line lay is excellent,drags great and you can pick one up for around £80,do have a look at one before you buy,if not i would think a shimano in your price range that you like the feel of,im sorry but anything other than the big two i wouldnt touch with yours,just my opinion but im certainly not alone in having it,best of luck picking one out;).

fred hall

Reaction score
you cannot beat a Shimano reel for feeder fishing IMHO. As it is now at least 5 years since I last bought one for this purpose I don't know what the up-to-date models are.

caesarson

Reaction score
Must say I'm very impressed with the drennan 7 series feeder reel. Only £35 with 3 spools.

rudd enthusiast

Reaction score
Jerry

Have a pair for distance tenching and light carp work but they are certainly not balanced on the average feeder rod. They felt incredibly bulky on my avons so I got a pair of 2500's.

Im blessed enough to have one of the original japanese stradics for feeder work and a smaller size single handle daiwa tdx which I tend to use for float work and much feeder stuff esp where its smaller size makes it a more balance proposition than my rear drag 3000 stradic.
I actually found it for £160 last year and have heard of them going for less on fleabay so its worth considering.

Beautiful piece of work that it is though the stradic trumps every fixed spool I have ever seen. Its too good to use, but too good not to!

Happy christmas to all you angling brothers and sisters.:w

sam vimes

Reaction score
the stradic trumps every fixed spool I have ever seen. Its too good to use, but too good not to!

Don't try the Twin Power CI4. It's likely to leave your Stradics redundant, it did for me.:) The drag leaves the Stradic standing. However, despite them having been usurped and despite them being fifteen years old, I still can't face getting rid of them.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Get yourself a shimano super GTM, they are superb feeder reels!
take a look on the harris sportsmail website....£79.00....post free!!!!

Hope that helps,
Merry Christmas
Mark

---------- Post added at 11:26 ---------- Previous post was at 11:23 ----------

Its the reel I used to land my 13lb barbel from the river ribble!!!

paul80

Reaction score
Isn't it amaizing how quick this thread turned into a Shimano v Diawa thread, you would think there was nothing else worth using wouldn't you.

My advice, go and have a look at some of the other makes, there are plenty out there that are just as good and sometimes better at a fraction of the price.

I have a couple of old Silstar KR Reels in my loft that knocked spots of the Shimanos of the time.

There are many reels from some less well known names that make fantastic reels for a realistic price.

Have a look around

Paul

sam vimes

Reaction score
Isn't it amaizing how quick this thread turned into a Shimano v Diawa thread, you would think there was nothing else worth using wouldn't you.
I certainly do, but I'm not that keen on Diawas!
I've picked up Drennan, Preston and Okuma in the past year or two that were all nice enough reels. However, I've had Shimano reels last decades of hard use. I'm not even going to take the chance on anything else.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Yep, as mentioned in another thread, I’ve a couple of 5000 Aero GTEs and Stradics that go back to the 90’s that have probably been hammered far more than Sam’s (as I’m sure I don’t have as many reels as him:p) that are still 100%. I’ve recently added some DL4000s and 2500s to the armoury and as the old saying goes ‘if it aint broke why fix it’ - it's Shimano for me.
Jerry
PS I've never been tempted to get the 300s out the loft in the last 40 years;)

andreagrispi

Reaction score
Don't try the Twin Power CI4. It's likely to leave your Stradics redundant, it did for me.:) The drag leaves the Stradic standing. However, despite them having been usurped and despite them being fifteen years old, I still can't face getting rid of them.

I replaced my old type stradics for a couple of daiwa TDR's. They are better in my opinion, but not by much.

Probably replace the TDR's with a couple of TDX's.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I replaced my old type stradics for a couple of daiwa TDR's. They are better in my opinion, but not by much.

Probably replace the TDR's with a couple of TDX's.

TDXs were on my shortlist, they are cracking reels though they should be at the price. The CI4 Twinpowers were a bit of a blind punt because I couldn't find them to try or any real info about them on the net. The prime driver was that I found them for a bargain price. Luckily, I'm nowhere near disappointed.

A

alan whittington

My advice, go and have a look at some of the other makes, there are plenty out there that are just as good and sometimes better at a fraction of the price.

I have a couple of old Silstar KR Reels in my loft that knocked spots of the Shimanos of the time.

There are many reels from some less well known names that make fantastic reels for a realistic price.

Have a look around

Paul

Sorry Paul, not only have i picked other reels up,but silly s*d that i am ,ive even bought some,they've all let me down in one way or another,some just in performanceespecially okuma and fox,which were utter junk,you keep buying them,i'll stay with daiwa and shimano.