Lyons Gate, Cerne Abbas

Andy Fielder

Reaction score
Hi,

Has anybody on here fished at Lyons Gate? I'd appreciate some hands-on reports/advice on the fishing; what's-in-what-lakes, tactics, hotspots etc - might help to make the visit a success! Thanks.

BTW - this is a second request - not doing too well with sourcing any fishing info! Help!!

Steve Lockett

Reaction score
Visited there to take photos, but not fished myself.
On the big lake at the back, carp and tench were coming to pellets fed regularly. Fish the margins, or to the island.
On the deeper lake, bream on the pole with worms over a bit of groundbait.

Hope this is not too late!

Andy Garford

Reaction score
I have fished this lake a few times. There is a lake on the left hand side of the drive, this is a seperate lake from the main fishery as it is still controlled by the farmer and not the campsite. This lake can be fished on a seperate day ticket and contains carp, sturgen, roach, bream, tench ect.
The main fishery is at the bottom of the drive in the caravan site.
From memory there are four lakes, three small and one large. There are signs on each lake with their fish content. These include barbel, carp, good tench, rudd (millions of them), chub, crusian carp and roach. I am sure there are other species but my memory fades with age!
One slight problem is that the buzzer brigade tend to set up in as many swims as they can the night before and occupy the favoured carp swims, these tend to be as close as possible to their caravans to prevent theft of buzzers ect!
I have found that the better swims on the bottom main lake are on the left side and arount the back as you look from the car park as they are deeper and not always occupied.
As for methods well I always float fish using corn, pellet or bunches of maggot.
Using maggot and smaller baits can be trouble as the rudd can destroy and eat anything that they can get in their mouths.
A bigger bait will sort this out. Do not ignore the smaller lakes as they contain some good fish. The bottom lake on the left hang side is very deep, approximately 15 feet I think.
As for bait and tackle there is a small cabin on site but Revels is only 5 mins away and has a very good tackle shop.
Tight Lines.

tommy

Reaction score
i fished lyons gate last year and am going again next month found it good with carp well into doubles on the big lake also some ginourmus tench good fishing all round lol

Andy Fielder

Reaction score
Thanks a bundle, chaps! I'd just about given up on getting any independent info - now I feel a lot better about visiting the place, especially as I'm expected to show another father-and-son team how it's done when I get there!

Just hope the fish are in an obliging mood....!

tommy

Reaction score
when you get to lyons gate tell stuart <the owner> that youve spoken to colin from the fred and colin double act from last year

Andy Fielder

Reaction score
OK Colin - will do. We're due to go there in the first week of August - perhaps you can advise me how you got on after your trip next month? Thanks

Clive Moore 2

Reaction score
I fished lyons gate regularly for a while, the far lake at the bottom with the three islands (the only one worth fishing),managing hundredsof fishaveraging about 7-8lb andfew 18's and a 19 in like 3 years, but in that time i never personally saw a twenty come out, but was still informed that they had come out and that there is at least one thirty called red belly or somthing,which i doubt /forum/smilies/confused_smiley.gif

Its where i first started to actually fish properly and for one summer and autumn slayed it compared to what others had out, cos i got proper "in tune" with it going every weekend, (sorry if thats fat headed).

phat loads of fish in there. When i was fishing it (during summer)i had massive results on pinapple boilies (not pop-ups) and halibut pellet. cornhas always been a choice of mine and worksANYWHERE, so never ignore the golden grains. margins WERE amazing but he's butchered ALL the trees and bushes which breaks my heart as they were a highlight of my early dayz. the lake was tidy when i first fished it, kept like a golf course but now he's mashed it all up with a digger for some reason. last year i had great fun on floaters (which has converted my entire summer approach!) and could hook 'em less than six inches from the bank /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

the margins and islands are the best, i prefer the margins as you can be accurate and make minimal disturbance, even though theres alot of activity around the bank. the people from their caravans opposite can be pretty ignorant i reckon (perhaps cos i am young they think im in the wrong), smashing lines into your bank just cos they cant be arsed to walk around /forum/smilies/angry_smiley.gif

the deepest endup to 6 foot probably,is the one with the poles and the drainage things and has my favorite and, unfortunatly, most occupied swims which seem to produce the best all year round. from this end to the opposite it progressively gets shallower right up to about three foot i think. i have lots of stories and alot of opinoins and info about this lake and would love to see some pics and hear about some sesh's that anyones done!!! /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif