Seatbox or Chair

Andy Pet

Reaction score
Currently I own a Nash Nomad Ultra light chair which is very light but tend to find that I always seem to sit leaning forward when I fish.

Not had a seatbox for ages and I'm contemplating getting one for my feeder and float fishing.

The seatbox would mean I would do away with all the extra tackle boxes etc required when only fishing with a chair.

My fishing is pretty static due to the waters I fish.

Any views on whether its better to fish from a box or chair when fishing commercials before I spend the ridiculous amount of money required for a seatbox these days?

cormorant

Reaction score
personally i find a chair better for my back and fishing a feeder and a float (rod) is no bother and as for the pole i just turn my chair slightly side on so i can ship back.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Depends on what you're doing. Personally I cannot fish from a chair except when I'm expecting to have to wait for bites.But if I'm casting & feeding regularly ie active fishing and NOT expecting a long wait between bites/casts then its seatbox everytime for me. I have both as you probably guessed.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I just can't use a chair when pole fishing. If there's any danger of the pole coming out to play then the seatbox comes out with it.
The reality of that is that I now have pretty much two full set ups. A match type set up (even though I don't fish matches), seat box and all and a specimen type set up where the chair will be used.

Reaction score
Have to agree with Sam that the chair would be awkward using a pole. I use a seat box and with the footplate and other attachments set up, once I sit down I dont need to move. Seat box for me every time. There are some good deals around for seat boxes as well at the moment

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I just can't use a chair when pole fishing. If there's any danger of the pole coming out to play then the seatbox comes out with it.
The reality of that is that I now have pretty much two full set ups. A match type set up (even though I don't fish matches), seat box and all and a specimen type set up where the chair will be used.

Me too...except I dont pole fish & I have 3 complete set ups.
1.Match type with seatbox containing two tackle boxes...stillwater & river
2.Short session : Lightweight chair & compact bag
3. Speci session : Bigger chair plus carryall

Plus 3 rod holdalls too....and then there's me fly gear...eeek :eek:

Taken me years to work all this out. There is a little bit of duplication in that each set up has to contain basics like needles, disgorgers, scissors, shot,sunglasses etc but it saves all this swapping stuff around between bags/boxes. Depending on what I'm after I just grab whichever kit & I'm off.

A lot of it is TF Gear stuff. Not fussed on the rods etc but the TFG luggage I think is great.

Last edited:

Andy Pet

Reaction score
Men after my own heart.

I do not pole fish anymore but do tip/float and specimen fish.

When tip fishing I expect to get bites and find the chair a hinderance.

However it's greta for a social fish!

Maybe I do need to invest in a Seatbox.

I like the look of the Preston boxes - seems to be loads on the banks.

terry m

Reaction score
Chair for me but I do have a seat box that I dig out on the rare occasions that I set off with the intent of float fishing.

Several hours pitched forwards on a seat box gives me no end of grief!

sam vimes

Reaction score
3. Speci session : Bigger chair plus carryall.

If you want to split it down like that then I've probably got four set ups.

1) Match type.
2) Light specimen
3) Barbel (split into big river and smaller river set ups)
4) Carp

Chuck the bivvy and bed chair etc at either 2, 3 or 4 to make it a longer session set up.
There is some duplication between set ups where possible. Mix and match keeps the costs down and more importantly, reduces the storage problem!:eek:;):D

I wish I could decide to do just one thing but I enjoy it all too much. If anyone forces me into a fly or sea fishing trip, I will probably murder them.;):D

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I'm with you lot

Pole fishing - got to be seatbox for me
short sesssions on the float rod again the seatbox

All day session - chair

tip fishing then I take the chair - can't get on with the seatbox when quiver tipping

Carp session - chair

sam vimes

Reaction score
Maybe I do need to invest in a Seatbox.

I like the look of the Preston boxes - seems to be loads on the banks.

The Fox MSB boxes are available at bargain prices at the moment. They are being sold off due to the Fox Match into (Fox) Matrix rebranding exercise that's currently underway. They are also popping up on ebay regularly for even less than the big internet retailers are selling for.

A

alan whittington

S-kippy,your tackle tart side is showing again,ha,ha.:D:j:guinness:

A

alan whittington

I sit and hide behind my normark's and hardy's,daiwa's and shimano's.:D:D:eek:mg:

barbelboi

Reaction score
Never used a box (seat box or other) have two chairs at present, an old fox evolution recliner and a JCR X-Lite that took the place of my now defuncked Fox Adjusta. The JCR now takes the weight of 90% of my fishing – on most river trips my ar$e is my seat.
Jerry

andreagrispi

Reaction score
3. Speci session : Bigger chair plus carryall

Plus 3 rod holdalls too....and then there's me fly gear...eeek :eek:

Taken me years to work all this out. There is a little bit of duplication in that each set up has to contain basics like needles, disgorgers, scissors, shot,sunglasses etc but it saves all this swapping stuff around between bags/boxes. Depending on what I'm after I just grab whichever kit & I'm off.

A lot of it is TF Gear stuff. Not fussed on the rods etc but the TFG luggage I think is great.

I have the same set up, except I have 2 types of bigger chair. One is a korum with like a plastic type mesh for summer fishing (drys quick if it gets wet) and one of those new Nash jobs, to keep me warm.