Flouro yellow for quivers

thames steve

Reaction score
I want to paint my quiver tips flouro yellow. I can see them much better than orange. Should I be buying float paint? Or is there a special 'rod paint'. Are there certain paints that go on better to glass, or carbon? For yellow, is white the best base colour?

Sorry about the questions that'll be basic for some, have never done it before that's all and want to do it right first time. The thing stopping me going straight out to get float paint is quivers obviously flex a lot...I'm wondering if float paint takes the flexing without flaking. Thanks, Steve :)

red creel

Reaction score
Not sure there are specific paints for rods but for what its worth i wrap plummers PFTE tape around my quivertips.Goes on a treat and is easily removed if you so wish have only seen it for sale in white but thats the colour i prefer on quivertips anyway.

soffit

Reaction score
'Thread seal tape is most commonly a white film (the natural color of PTFE) and is used in plumbing applications, but it is also available in various colors'. So says its entry on Wikipedia. If you find some tell us about it. I'm using white ptfe. Its probably better than fiddling about with paint TBH...

Steve Ruff

Reaction score
Plasti-kote Spray Paint ....

Decorative spray paints from Plasti-kote, the market leading spray paint

I painted the top of my Greys Barbel rod with White Plasti-kote spray paint - came out really well and is hard wearing.

Just need to make sure that you mask the eyes and the rest of the rod well and give it a couple of coats and you should be sorted.

For flouro-yellow you may have to give it a base of white so that the yellow really shows well.

Its quick drying so you don't have to wait ages for it to dry.

Have tried using a small paint brush with liquid paint but the results are much better with the spray.

flightliner

Reaction score
I want to paint my quiver tips flouro yellow. I can see them much better than orange. Should I be buying float paint? Or is there a special 'rod paint'. Are there certain paints that go on better to glass, or carbon? For yellow, is white the best base colour?

Sorry about the questions that'll be basic for some, have never done it before that's all and want to do it right first time. The thing stopping me going straight out to get float paint is quivers obviously flex a lot...I'm wondering if float paint takes the flexing without flaking. Thanks, Steve
I did the very same thing last season on two quivertip rods that I was using for winter roach on the Trent. The reds just didnt do it for me if the water was dark by opposite bank reflections and the whites were somewhat lost against a silver grey river or sky so it was the flourescant limey yellow colour by REVELL that was used along with a gloss exterior varnish.
Works a treat, no colour loss, flaking at all. I have no reason to complian about the end result.
About the REVELL paint tho--- its fine for a few uses but after a while it seems to go stringy in the little tin (about £1 in hobby shops) so best use it asap.

Morespiders

Reaction score
Not sure there are specific paints for rods but for what its worth i wrap plummers PFTE tape around my quivertips.Goes on a treat and is easily removed if you so wish have only seen it for sale in white but thats the colour i prefer on quivertips anyway.

I use the same on my tips, just make sure you get the thin one, theres a thick one thats to bulky, easily removed and redone after a few months

thames steve

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies chaps. I won't use the PTFE tape idea as I'd prefer to paint but it's a good idea I hadn't thought of. Will look at the Plasti-kote or Revell ranges for their brightest yellow and do a base coat of white I think.

chavender

Reaction score
Ilkeston ,derbyshire ,great britain ,earth ,The un
you need two paints ,a base white (plastikote flat white or dulux pure brilliant white taster pot) and this yellow

eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

don't use any varnish/clear top coat ,leave as the mat finnish .

here i'd used it in cojunction with orange for a two tone tip ,great for many conditions .

DSC00750.jpg

the secret is in the base / under coat ,it makes the floro paint more vibrant .

thames steve

Reaction score
Thanks Steve - will get myself some. Was wondering about matt or varnish - you've answered that aswell - thanks :)

Steve Ruff

Reaction score
Probably also worth giving the tip(s) a rub down with some fine grade emery paper to give the paint something to key onto.

A number of really thin coats are much better than trying to put on too much in one go.