Coarse Angling Today-Let eel become extinct

Mark Salt

Reaction score
In the January edition of Coarse Angling Today, Dan Williams, Assistant Editor of Pike and Predator Magazine, writes a guest editorial about the decline of the eel, and how a foreign parasite has damaged eel stocks. He then writes : “Some things evolve and some things become extinct, that's just a fact of life. We can possibly help to improve future eel stocks, but do we need to ? Why not let nature take its course, which may see that parasite evolve and the eel become extinct ? Why spend money in this day and age on something that may only help a few anglers ? Future generations just may not have the eel to catch so they will have to focus on another species. Just like we watch meerkats at the zoo instead of panda's......” This is an irresponsible and very limited comment, ignoring the importance of the eel in our waters. He has completely overlooked the importance of the species to our fisheries in a wider context.

On behalf of the National Anguilla Club, I will be contacting the magazine and the journalist involved, and ask for a retraction in the next issue, and an attempt at an intelligent analysis of the eel’s situation. The eel is a "Keystone" species, which means that: "it has a disproportionately large effect on its environment relative to its abundance. Such species play a critical role in maintaining the structure of an ecology, affecting many other organisams in an ecosystem and helping to determine the types and numbers of various other species in the community". Consequently, apart from the fact that some of us like to fish for them, eels are critical to the health of our waters and fish stocks. An example of this is the theory that otters are turning to alternative food sources in areas where eels are no longer plentiful. As for some waters having good stocks of mature eel, then that is most certainly true, Equally, however, there are many waters where eels were once commonplace that are now sparsely stocked. The complicated and extended lifecycle of the eel and the threats facing it mean that we will not see a real decline in mature eel numbers in some areas for a few years yet. The Anguillicola crassus parasite is only one of many factors affecting eels stocks: commercial fishing, barriers in rivers, predation, pollution and loss of wetlans being but a few. The EA and conservation organisations are making inroads into the barriers and obstruction issues facing both migrating eels and returning elvers, and that will have an impact. Sadly, all attempts at limiting eel exploitation have had little effect. What we would like to see, however,is the angling publications supporting the effort to conserve the eel, and not encouraging a "let them go extinct" attitude. Angling Times and Anglers Mail have both adopted a very supportive role in the past, and it is unfortunate that a publication such as Coarse Angling Today cannot take a more responsible conservational stance.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Libertarian, sub-Darwinian, "Nice eels finish last / unfit ones go to the wall", beancounting bottom-liner tosh. Fry the guy, Mark.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
I do hope that it was just a ploy to stir up a debate, in which case it seems to be working.

If not, wave bye-bye to the last decent coarse-fishing magazine, for I fear that concepts such as keystone species, conservation, biodiversity and ecological niches will sail though the author's brain like neutrinos.

beerweasel

Reaction score
Totally agree with you Mark, Mr williams is clearly wrong.
All species have a roll to play in the ecosystem, the Eel decline is man made so we have a duty to try and save it.

Rickrod

Reaction score
I,ll not be buying cat again.

Terry D

Reaction score
Think about the poor otters, they'll have to start on our roach next.:wh

dezza

Reaction score
Although I am not a particuarly keen eel fisher, I think Dan Williams has the wrong attitude entirely. Eels belong to our waterways and have been ascending our rivers for hundreds of thousands of years. Eels are also the main food of otters and without eels, otters will turn on other species of fish.

They have more right to swim in our waters than zander, wels and even carp.

And I have eaten the odd eel myself - they are delicious.

We must remember that Dan William has not reached his 20th birthday yet, and perhaps we should take this into account.

Last edited:

richiekelly

Reaction score
Although I am not a particuarly keen eel fisher, I think Dan Williams has the wrong attitude entirely. Eels belong to our waterways and have been ascending our rivers for hundreds of thousands of years. Eels are also the main food of otters and without eels, otters will turn on other species of fish.

They have more right to swim in our waters than zander, wels and even carp.

And I have eaten the odd eel myself - they are delicious.

We must remember that Dan William has not reached his 20th birthday yet, and perhaps we should take this into account.

Not being of mature years is no excuse for crass statements such as this.

terry m

Reaction score
“Some things evolve and some things become extinct, that's just a fact of life. "

That statement may have carried credence a thousand years ago, but as soon as man has an impact, especially an adverse impact on an species, then he has a duty to protect that species.

Regardless of the immaturity of the author, the editor (and the clue is in the job title) of CAT has a responsibility to ensure that views of contributors are at least realistic.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I cannot avoid catching eels on some of my rivers if I put a piece of meat on the hook and they also take my bread bait on occasions. Are they really in such a great state of decline?

I am in favour of conservation but, some take the view that man is as much part of nature as say a tiger. As man has increased and become successful he will push other species to extinction the same way as will happen when any species becomes successful. And as one species declines it leaves a niche for another species to exploit.
I am not happy with that view myself but, do those that do have a point.

theoriginalpikeflyco

Reaction score
Gosh what an ignorant statement in question...reminds me of some of the equally ignorant & wreckless statements made by the officials here in Ireland when attempting to justify the mass execution of Pike & Coarse species on the big western loughs.

Here in Ireland (North & South) eels are also noticeably declining in some waters. A few of my favourite loughs have always been devoid of silver fish but always held excellent Pike stocks that provided magical Pike fly fishing for years...and guess what the main food source was...EELS...these lakes were stuffed with eels.

In the past few years as the eel populations declined...the sport with Pike has quietened down on the same waters.

I am not fully informed about the ins and outs regarding the Uk Eel populations & their decline but am simply adding my tuppence worth based on my own observations at a local level.

I think all users & expoilters of waterways & their wildlife have a duty to participate in some way or another to collectively do everything possible to conserve the various species & their habitat.

Sometimes I think we have altered the planet to such an extent as to be unable to rule out 'man' regards any incident in nature.

cg74

Reaction score
Gosh what an ignorant statement in question...reminds me of some of the equally ignorant & wreckless statements made by the officials here in Ireland when attempting to justify the mass execution of Pike & Coarse species on the big western loughs.

Here in Ireland (North & South) eels are also noticeably declining in some waters. A few of my favourite loughs have always been devoid of silver fish but always held excellent Pike stocks that provided magical Pike fly fishing for years...and guess what the main food source was...EELS...these lakes were stuffed with eels.

In the past few years as the eel populations declined...the sport with Pike has quietened down on the same waters.

I am not fully informed about the ins and outs regarding the Uk Eel populations & their decline but am simply adding my tuppence worth based on my own observations at a local level.

I think all users & expoilters of waterways & their wildlife have a duty to participate in some way or another to collectively do everything possible to conserve the various species & their habitat.

Sometimes I think we have altered the planet to such an extent as to be unable to rule out 'man' regards any incident in nature.

It's estimated that the UK eel population has dropped by 95-99% in the last 20yrs. Though of course this is only an estimation, as its phisically impossible to actually quantify these things (that last sentense was included for Fred Bonney).

I am of the thought, if he's old enough to be awarded the job of editor, he should have the knowledge and capability to perform the task in hand.

If or when he screws this magazine, maybe send him onto ITV as their upper management seem equally detached from what their customers want.

Can someone please forward onto him a bit of literature as to how an ecosystem works, might be worth including something about they're not based on cherry picking species that are of interest to him.

I only wish I was a subsciber to the mag, just so I could say; I'm not buying it anymore!!:wh

Last edited:

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Just one question, have you all read this article/piece, or are you taking one mans interpretation of the wording?

I quite honestly didn't read the piece, i'll try and get the magazine back from the ol'boy next door.
Most of the time the views of such a young individual don't appeal to me to have enough background/knowledge to spout any real wisdom, so what ever they say I take with a pinch of salt.

Quite honestly what worries me more, is that in this day and age anybody with an opinion is attacked for their opinion.

Shades of the Daily Mail influence!

Last edited:

john conway (CSG - ACA)

Reaction score
I do hope that it was just a ploy to stir up a debate, in which case it seems to be working.

If not, wave bye-bye to the last decent coarse-fishing magazine, for I fear that concepts such as keystone species, conservation, biodiversity and ecological niches will sail though the author's brain like neutrinos.

I agree with Alan, you would have though that the editor of Coarse Angling Today magazine would have seen this coming and balanced it with an article supporting conservation. I’ve not read the article therefore I don’t know if Dan Williams argument has also been voiced in the Pike and Predator Magazine.

I also agree with Fred Bonney: -

“Quite honestly what worries me more, is that in this day and age anybody with an opinion is attacked for their opinion.”

If we think, Dan is wrong then let us prove it by an intelligent argument/debate.

There are things we can do to protect the eel, one of which would be to stop the taking of all eels for a given period to see if this increased their numbers.
Lets have a debate supported by science and investigation regarding what man made obstacles are detrimental to eel migration.
Is there a body out there who is fighting the eels corner whom we could throw our support behind and if so how about some factual enlightenment. How can we help you?

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
WHAT AN A HOLE!!!
When something evolves to then become extinct takes millions of years, its just nature adjusting, But, letting something die out in a matter of years through mans doing is against nature!
We should be doing everything in our power as the most evolved life form on this planet to stop this amazing animal from disappearing for ever...AND we can! All we have to do is stop netting altogether, SIMPLE!

Sorry, but I just had to have a go on this one,

Mark

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
He's not the editor, he's I think a sub editor.

"Is there a body out there who is fighting the eels corner"
The guy who started the thread said.." On behalf of the National Anguilla Club....." as I understand it they are a representive group of eelfishers.