the river severn

M

Mike Dawe

i am arranging a fishing trip as part of an adventure training exercise at work.

The plan is to canoe from Bridgnorth to bewdley stopping to camp at Hampton Lode, Upper Arley and finally bewdley to get in some barbel fishing.

Has anybody got any usefull info on where and how to fish , how much day tickets are and where to get them from prior to fishing. I am going early summer so the river should be in good nick.
Thanks Mike

R

Rob Reznik

Mike
The BAA control good stretches along this part of the river. Check their web site on www.baa.uk.com - they have maps showing their waters. Day tickets have to be purchased in advance (?3) or an associate members fee of ?24 will let you fish all season. Day tickets are also available at The Unicorn pub (Hampton loade 01384-77204) and The Harbour Inn (Arley tel 01299-401204). There is also the town water in Arley which can be fished at night and is free!!
Everyone to himself re-what method to catch Barbel - but I found feeder with maggots catching early in the season but they soon moved to meat (big pieces). Most sucessfull time of day seems to be early evening ( and if you can into the night - the BAA don't currently allow night fishing).

If you want details on specific pegs please e-mail me.

Good luck

Rob

D

Dave Johnson

If you want to catch barbel early season, contact Bridgnorth Tackle and book their stretch upstream of the town (2 miles). This is limited to 10 anglers and you will have a very good selection of pegs over a mile and a half of river. good variations of river are available, fast, shallow, deep, plenty of cover etc.
You wont(probably) catch any monsters, but there are plenty of barbel in 'barbel alley' -maggot attack with hemp always goes down well on this stretch at this time of year.

J

John Toohey

Hey mike i am not being funny but do you fish.

It was your post that made me think as you could be just a person who has never had a rod canoe or firelighter in their hand.

John.