Fishing in Manchester?

united5

Reaction score
Hi just recently taken up fishing as a hobby with a few mates. Would like to know where is the best places to fish of anyone knows? Do I need a day ticket for any as well as my rod licence?

dankay123

Reaction score
meadow view in lymm. you will catch 100s of fish simple tactics and not bait fussy. a good place to learn the ropes

Phil Hatton 2

Reaction score
There are a number of decent waters in and around Manchester mate. However transport is a major factor.

What sort of fishing are you looking for?

united5

Reaction score
Hi I do drive and fishing for all sorts really. From roach to big coarse like Carp and barble!

united5

Reaction score
Ashton area. Fished sammy basin quite a bit but would like to know somewhere bigger and better

bruce1980

Reaction score
Sammys is one of the best (easiest) round there! I went last weekend, cut a hole in the ice and still managed 5 Roach! :)
Have you tried Crime Lake? Well bigger than Sammys! Only fished it once but it was freezing cold and didn't get a bite all day! Was only fishing a 4m whip though!

Phil Hatton 2

Reaction score
Crime Lake is a bit patchy mate. Have a look at Sale Water Park when it thaws.(Stay away from Chorlton Water Park, that's bandit country!).Also the Ashton Canal between Guide Bridge and Droylsden, especially Lumb Lane wides.
You can also buy a £25 season ticket from Warrington AA that gives you access to a lot of the Bridgewater Canal. Good general fishing in the Sale and Timperley areas.
Meadow View is good but they do have a lot of rules. There used to be some fishing on the reservoirs at Rhodes in Middleton but I'm not sure what the score is there these days, they used to be on day ticket.

The Monk

Reaction score
Rhodes is still on day ticket, usually produces a few of of different species, an easy day ticket water with 3 lakes to choose from. Stakehill is still on day ticket I believe, certainly worth checking out

bails

Reaction score
There's loads of places in and around Manchester, local towns etc. Google it....good luck with your first few sessions.

John Spilsbury

Reaction score
Run by S.W.A.G now, Sale Waterpark Angling Group, sort of half way between a syndicate and a club, in that it is a single water group. Limitation on the number of members. They have been in charge for at least 3 years. About half the bank is designated for fishing. Problems include water skiers, jet skiers and astonishingly prolific weed growth in the clear water.

Last edited: