Fishing magazines

Oliver Wilcox

Reaction score
Hi guys ot sure if anyone can help me but I would like to write for the angling papers, I ahve been fishing for 17 years, and have an HND in Fishery Management and a degree in english and journalism, just would like to know how to break into the industry?

J

John H Member of THE C.S.G.. & The A.T.

Contact some of the editors of the popular magazines, but beware...

A few months ago I was taking to a lad who knows a thing or to about publishing angling magazines and he told me about a once high profile angler ( I think he'd gone off to do some guiding but it hadn't work out too well) who'd telephoned him saying that he wanted to do a series of articles for his magazines.
He was told that he didn't work like that; you tell me what you have and if it fits in with the current format I'll consider using some of your material. At that our once high profile angler angrily replied; your all the $loody same, everyone is against me, and slammed the phone down.

keora

Reaction score
Oliver, you need to show the publishers that you've got lots of experience in angling and are a competent angler. I suggest you need lots of good angling photos to illustrate your articles.

I think most articles these days are instructional - in fact I'm surprised the angling weeklies and monthlies publish so many pieces about how to stick a pellet on a hook and ship it out 10 metres. I don't see many atmospheric articles these days.

I would buy a variety of periodicals, analyse them and see what the most popular subjects are. I'd also try some of the regional angling papers, such as the Angling Star in Sheffield.

If you've not already seen it, read "the alternative angler - them and us" in Features - Politics and comments on this web site.

B

Bully

I'd start by ensuring everything you publish is error free, especially your grammar and spelling.

MikeW

Reaction score
I've been lucky enough to have two articles published (the only two I've written to date), one was in Coarse Angling Today and the other in Pike and Predators, I never contacted anyone before hand, I just wrote the articles to the best of my ability, included some decent photos and luckily both were excepted and published. It was just something I fancied a crack at, to see whether my attempts at writing were up to scratch.

J

I was going to suggest Coarse Angling Today / Pike & Predators (Total Coarse Fishing)
James and Kevin are always willing to give unknown writers a chance.(Kev's not a half bad chub angler either)

Have a read of http://www.totalcoarsefishing.com/guidelines.html

Looking at the C.A.T. web site I have just read the sad news of the death of one of their more regular contributors, Roger Standen. C.A.T. will carry a full tribute in the next issue.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

How about a few articles for FM to cut your teeth?

T

The Monk

I`ve had about 50 or 60 published over the years in a number of mags, I`vbe found its just a case of sending them off, you need to read the magazines first though to get a feel for the sort of stuff they like, most of my stuff is humour based on experience of angling sessions, I`ve only written about half dozen technical articles over the years, `ve never worried about spelling and grammar too much, but good quality photogrqaphs make a difference with technical articles and good cartoon type drawings with humorous ones

S

Steve Eddy

How about learning to either spell or proof read first ? A degree in English! Where from the University of Swaheelli

T

The Monk

a degree in journalism would explain the poor spelling I suppose,. it shouldnt hold you back though, spelling is a convention, the ability to communicate is much greater, I used to be an editor in cheif of two national journals and I cant spell to save my life. Sadly you can get a degree these days with basic skills deficits, I managed a Science Masters, says it all I suppose

keora

Reaction score
It's a bit strange that Oliver Wilcox wants to break into angling journalism, yet he doesn't seem to be bothered about acknowledging the advice people have given him.

J

My son is a high-flying management accountant but his personal finances are always in a mess. And he couldn't spell to save his life.

Another word to the wise; If you do a feature on any specific water make sure you have the permission of the owner/club.

A wannabe Matt Hayes caused a hell of a rumpus up here after he had articles published about waters he should not even have been fishing.

Only recently I was shown an article he did on one of my Club waters, which I was not very pleased about to say the least!! The cheeky $&stard had even published my name and telephone number!!!

Wendy Perry 2

Reaction score
I have a page every month in Northern Angling Today, but my articles are based on my diary of fishing, i'm loving writing it every month, it's never the same there is always something different i write about. I would never claim to know how, and show people how in the magazine how to fish!

Oliver Wilcox

Reaction score
I will in due course acknowledge the advice given by others, and indeed thank others for their input - it is most valuable. The reason behind my delayed response is purely a lack of time. Therefore I apologise for my error; A further point when writing short messages like this I do not feel the need to correct my own grammar, it is a trivial message with limited importance. I have to date already produced pieces of jourmalism; and worked freelance writing for several newspapers before embarking on a university course.
So I commend your efforts for pointing out such mistakes!

Oliver Wilcox

Reaction score
I will in due course acknowledge the advice given by others, and indeed thank others for their input - it is most valuable. The reason behind my delayed response is purely a lack of time. Therefore I apologise for my error; A further point when writing short messages like this I do not feel the need to correct my own grammar, it is a trivial message with limited importance. I have to date already produced pieces of jourmalism; and worked freelance writing for several newspapers before embarking on a university course.
So I commend your efforts for pointing out such mistakes!

T

The Monk

Good luck Oliver, we have a large angling market out there, I`m sure you will find a niche

F

Fred Bonney

it is a trivial message with limited importance

No further responses needed then!

J

" I'm loving writing it every month, it's never the same there is always something different I write about"

Just who then is doing the washing, ironing and cooking, Wendy?