Manchester Ship Canal

T

The Monk

I was at the Eye Thelwall last week, never seen so many bream in my life, yet you rarly see anyone fishing the MSC

E

EC

There was a post about this venue a few years back Nic, a lad said he was going to give it some attention. Not sure if he ever posted afterwards though.

Whats the access and parking like mate, and who controls the rights, could be a proper pioneeringfish-in.

T

The Monk

I missed that thread Ed, but yes definately a pioneering water with potential, not sure if its just the MSC company who control it or not and I`m not really sure fishing has even been considerred if allowed although you do see the occassional angler. A mate of mine spent 5 days and nights behind the trafford centre, 6 rods out and blanked, not a sign of a fish. The MSC is very deep in places and I suspect fish stay to certain areas, the biomass is probably low, so the first law, first find your fish certainly comes into play, access is good in some areas difficult in others, and the canal.s quite wide and deep for much of its length, presentatiuon could be a problem because it does have some high levels of silt and debries, lots of fish eating birds present in all areas, cormorant, kingfisher heron etc, quite interesting around Fiddlers ferry and Runcorn around the flats, while we have carp in the old docks, salford quays, location and presentation being the keys once you have fopund the fish of course, but expect to spend time on this canal

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Count me inEC as I have seen a couple of places that look the biz but not sure if any fish are present or what access is like as I saw it from the other side but it rings bells for me,something a bit different isnt it.

R

Robert Woods (ACA)

Monk,

There must be plenty of fish underneath Runcorn bridge as plenty of cormerants feeding. Loads of swans & geese get well fed with bread.

T

The Monk

yes I`ve seen some big shoals there Robert, mainly bream with possible roach inbetween, but you never see anyonme fioshing for them, I expect some are but keeping quiet about it, which you cant blame them for, the areas around the Eyes though is well worth looking at, especially the back water near the bird reserve

T

The Monk

I would say it needs tackling by a group and you would have to put the hours in, day and night, not an easy place to move on fish, but you would have to keep your eyes and ears ipen, its a deep water and a dangerous water anfd has taken many lives over the years, even the margins can be very deep, a fish finder may be useful and possibly a small craft, I did the trip a few years again from Manchester to Liverpool by boat, it was very enlightening

gerry h

Reaction score
how far can you go downstream before it becomes salt water? ,if it is right to the mouth in e/port it has the shroppy going into it ,it always looks good as you go over it on the m56and the weaver next to it and you never see anyone on there aswell

Beecy

Reaction score
a young lad did an article for angling Star about 6 months ago on fishing MSC, i cant remember the exact location though.

he had a good day catching roach/skimmers

One bit of advice he did give was WATCH OUT FOR THE FERRY !

apparently it created a massive wave and if he hadnt seen it coming would have been a gonner

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
A very good point Beecy as when Monk mentioned going afloat I was thinking are youmad!! Who is going to take the plunge and give it a whirl as I am definatly interested chaps.

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
The fishing or the going afloat Baz,as I would not entertain a boat on there myself.I know you told me about the banks a while back but in some places you can get at the water virtually as I had a sneeky peek.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Both Gav. The banks are very steep at Thellwall Eyes. Plus oceon going liners passing through. And a submarine a few years back. The depth is 40 foot in that area.

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Baz thanks for the info ,the area I have seen has grass banks perfect for bivvies but I am totally unaware of depths but it just looks fishy and you can get a car fairly near,and it looks like from the other bank and google earth that it has a marginal shelf and trees,would you not attempt fishing it at all or is it a case of find somewere safe first.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Find out if fishing is allowed first , which it isn't at Thelwall Eyes, and then find somewhere safe.

T

The Monk

I suppose you`d get a fair old run off a submarine, I expect the MSC still owns it

Will Smith

Reaction score
Gerry h.

Whatthe m56 passes over is the weaver and the weaver navigation canal.

N

Neil Blood

A few general comments: <ul>[*]The MSC is actually owned by Peel Holdings. I doubt fishing is allowed anywhere as the canal is desilted on Frodsham Marsh in a series of silt settling beds near the M56. I believe that the silt is considered to be toxic i.e. heavy metal traces? Also many of the ships that still use the canal carry toxic/volatile chemicals, which are pumped directly from the ships to commodity chemical manufacturing plants i.e. at Carrington. It also serves the large Shell oil refinery. The banks as mentioned above are also very steep. For these reasons Isuspect fishing isnt allowed anywhere though I may be wrong?[*]Close to Thellwall the Mersey cuts straight through the canal, and the Mersey is full of fish in this area. [*]The ship canal enters tidal waters again at Fordsham Marsh close to the big INEOS (formally ICI) chemical plant at Runcorn.[/list]

Neil