Bomb Rods

steph mckenzie

Reaction score
What to look for in a Bomb Rod, and how to tell whether a Bomb Rod is good quality for it's Price Tag.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Unless anyone has tried and tested every bomb rod available the only opinions of bomb rods will be the ones people have used.
Advice wise I would steer clear of the fixed tip versions because once it breaks it renders the whole rod finished.

sam vimes

Reaction score
As with any quiver tip rod, no flat spots and a nice progressive curve. There are some horrendous quiver rods out there with poker like main rods where only the quiver tip shows any inclination to bend unless you have a good fish on. The best way of achieving this is to avoid rods with push in quiver tips. Invariably there's only one tip that really fits the action of the rod and carrier section. The way to avoid that is to find a rod that has multiple fixed top sections or, less flexibly, just a single one totally suited to the application you intend to use it for.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
9 - 10 ft. and what his 'Excellency' (Sam) says is right in principal. However, to buy a rod like that is expensive and to buy a rod with multiple tips that works like a dream is also expensive. You have to compromise.

Garbolino do some, their Rocket range and they did another called the Squad (now the Maxim - I think), both very reasonably priced and decent rods. Have a look at Drennans Red range, they do a 10ft that's not TOO dear. Oh and the Shakespeare M2, they do a 9 and 10 ft rod, I have the 9ft and it ain't at all bad (forgot I had that - just shows......:eek:mg: ).

Take a look here.
or here for the ten ft.
I had the 10ft Squad and it is a nice rod, casts well and handles fish down to small perch.

Last edited:

xenon

Reaction score
Another vote for the Shakespeare Mach 2 10ft.Progressive action, 4 push-in quivers cover a wide range of application.Will also cope with 2-3 oz feeders (just). Amazing reserves of power-have landed double figure barbel on it without feeling under-gunned.

stikflote

Reaction score
My bomb rod is a very nice Tricast wand comes two spare tips,
beautiful rod

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
best bomb rod I ever used was my old shimano 11ft technium bomb, the quiver was built in to the top sections and it had a nice smooth middle to tip action and built on a very slim blank....THEN they went and discontinued it...Why do they do that when they know they are selling well?

Mark

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I never found one to beat my old Drennan IM* Bomb rod which I have in 10'6" length, it is the original model that came with two separate top sections rated at 1/2 ounce and 3/4 ounce.

I use it a lot for light legering for Roach but it will deal with the odd Chub as well.

As I said, I never found a better one so I am sticking with the IM8

michaels

Reaction score
I never found one to beat my old Drennan IM* Bomb rod which I have in 10'6" length, it is the original model that came with two separate top sections rated at 1/2 ounce and 3/4 ounce.

I use it a lot for light legering for Roach but it will deal with the odd Chub as well.

As I said, I never found a better one so I am sticking with the IM8

I`ll second Peter and the Drennan. I`ve also had the pleasure of this rod, I`m fortunate to have two examples, one I bought many years ago and one which was left to me. Cannot add much more, other than the rods have been given some stick and have held up well.