Pole advice

Beaker

Reaction score
Hi, this is a follow up from my last thread. I am looking for a starter pole but being skint I can only afford upto £50. Any suggestoins?. I thought it would help and having seen other anglers on the lake I intend fishing using them I thought I would.
A length of around 8m would be suitable.

Bluenose

Reaction score
Have a look on ebay mate, particularly something close by that you could go and collect in person (saves postage costs). I've noticed what were once very decent poles go for silly money because they are several years old. Just do some research and have a look at what the price of the pole was when it was in the shops and when you go and collect check the joints aren't too worn and there are no obvious cracks.

If you buy a 'new' pole for £50, I'll bet it won't be much fun to use at 8metres.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Dragon carp are offering an Avanti hyperspeed 9.5m pole for £55,
comes with 2 topkits which are fitted with 10 and 12 elastic so no expense on
bungs,bushes and connectors. Don't forget you will need a roller as well.
It will probably be stiffest at 6 or 8m. Looks ok for a starter pole to me.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Either go for a second hand bargain and hope it's not about to fall apart or save your money for a bit. There's nothing new for fifty quid that, at 8m+, isn't likely to put you off pole fishing for life.

You'd be better served saving for a bit longer and getting a half decent new margin pole or try to find one second hand for a bit less.