Rivers...argghhh!!!!

newbieneil

Reaction score
I know its been said many times before but the rivers really dont seem to have the fish stocks they used to!...it could in part be down to my skill and the skill of the people i fish with and other random anglers ive spoken to whilst fishing but mainly fishing the warks avonon various stretches it seems to be absolutely dead!!!...at all different times of the year and times of the day!!! ...i went the other day and fished maggot ,float fished,ledgered, scaled down to a size 18 with 0.12 bottom and single maggot just to get a bite and nothing!!! ...not even a gudgeon ...not even a tiny suicidal dace or perch ...and this has been the same story in the summer aswell ...ive fished the same spot all day from 6am untill 11 at night and not a bite on some stretches!!!...i might not be the best angler but im not this ****!...i did see a few groups of cormorants flapping over us though when i went the other day ...has this got anything to do with it?

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I fished one river last week and blanked for 3 hours. Moved to another river for the last hour and caught a very good roach and a good chub. You have to be ready to move about a bit, travel light etc. This time of year chub shoal up on some rivers so, finding them can get some fish. Deeper slower stretches and near bridges can be good places to try. I find river fish harder fighters and in better condition generally than on lakes; less pressure on them I suppose so, don't give up but, they do require more work and patience, that's for sure.

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
Neil, try to get on a fish-in. There are guys on here who have so much experience and it's a great way to learn, if only by watching them.
Be aware the weather seems to save something special for FM fish-ins. Check out under "Events".

smithdave

Reaction score
Hi Neil, the W Avon can be a fickle mistress at times. I don't visit het as much these days, but did walk her a bit when she was low this Summer. During this period I baitdropped maggots and watched with my polariods on. On one stretch I saw hardly any silverfish at all, just good sized barbel, usually on their own, I caught the biggest one, but it was only 12lbs.
When I did attract the silvers, they were quite small shoals and were scattered very quickly by a pack of big perch, the ones at Salford Priors were huge.
So, my advice to you would be to rove for perch, it's nearly Spring, get a lob on.

peterjg

Reaction score
Rivers are really patchy now. Yes, generally lower stocks and clearer water. It's all a question of temperature and light values. If the water is less than 42F fish for chub, if it's less than 45F fish a static bait. If the water is clear fish near snags/cover or in deeper water and/or further out or after dark. If the water is heavily coloured use a static smelly bait and if it is slightly coloured but not too cold then make sure you don't forget your landing net! Having said all that - Walker (rightly) always said there are no rules!

watatoad

Reaction score
With any river its always location location location but on a big river this can be even more of an important factor. So while the close season is on read some cheap old fashioned Mr. Crabtree books and books on the river of your choice then get yourself down to the river and just watch look carefully and begin to understand and learn about the particular river of your choice soon you will be able to spot the most likely areas to find the fish. Angling always was and probably will be for the next few years about patience, patience, patience, observation, understanding, considering, then will dawn knowledge and knowing your river or lake, which will enable you to spot the most likely places for a good days fishing and some great fish.

frothy

Reaction score
In the last year I have made a return to river fishing after approximately 20 years of sea/lake or not fishing at all and I have found the fishing extremely good where ever I have fished? I have had good numbers of quality sized fish from all the rivers I have fished so far! From dace and gudgeon through to grayling and chub the only fish I havent targeted yet are barbel... Have I just been lucky?