Hook baits

Beaker

Reaction score
Hello, I am after more advice. What hookbaits would you use on a water that bans boilies, and where maggots only catch tiny roach and perch.
The lake contains , bream, tench, carp ,crucians and perch and roach.
Ifished there this morning and apart from small roach I had 2 tench on corn and a skimmer. Any advice on baits and feed would be apreciated.

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Could try luncheon meat ,breadflake ,sweetcorn,paste or pellets and even a big fat juicy worm ,try them one should work if not all of them.

mol

Reaction score
If you're after the carp then tigers of peanuts are good. Just be careful with the amounts used, a small handful with a pint of hemp is IMO the best way of fishing either.

waggy

Reaction score
1"x 2" square of spam on the hair and a bloody great lob on the size 8 barbless, held on with a piece of elastic band. Hook it twice by the thirds to foil the little end suckers. Twitch 6" every 3-4 mins for best results.

peterjg

Reaction score
Try using wheat - it's brilliant. Can be used as a mass particle for carp or tench, or can be used for laying on for roach. It's cheap at £7.20 per 20kg sack, can be frozen, coloured and flavoured! Why it's not more popular - don't know!

Beaker

Reaction score
Thanks chaps, I am going to try the paste, meat and pellet route. I thought about nuts but, you cant use them I have found.

caesarson

Reaction score
hair rigged 10mm plus pellets. Corn, meat. It really depends on what distance you are fishing. If you are feeder or bomb fishing at a distance. You will need to look at hard baits that can take a cast. If this is the case, I would look in the carp magazines, websites for inspiration on hook baits.

smallbreamboy

Reaction score
Pigeon conditioner about £14 for 20kg, bream/tench/carp love it.
Sweetcorn, for feed buy the 1kg frozen bags, about £1
Hemp (say no more)

If you are getting smaller fish taking the hook bait, try a plastic, more robust and the other species like them as well.

Beaker

Reaction score
Pigeon conditioner about £14 for 20kg, bream/tench/carp love it.
Sweetcorn, for feed buy the 1kg frozen bags, about £1
Hemp (say no more)

If you are getting smaller fish taking the hook bait, try a plastic, more robust and the other species like them as well.
I am interested in this pigeon conditioner, how do you prepare it and where did you buy yours, I cant find it cheaper than £17.

I am also going to try using Arma mesh for distance fishing softer baits.

agamemnon

Reaction score
if tench and carp are your target fish i would go for a cage or method feeder and corn or maize on the hook. or get some pva stocking/ bag and fill out with small pellets then use either a large pellet or bit of maize on a hair if you want to go for the larger fish