Your Season - Good or Bad?

terry m

Reaction score
So how did your season end up?

Was it a raging success or was it a sorry affair that you are glad to see the back of?

Personally I have had a pretty good season with improved PBs for a couple of species, but numbers aside it has been enjoyable and I have met some good people and witnessed some special momenta in nature, three kingfishers simultaneously perched on one branch in my swim was wonderful.

On the down side, the rivers in my area - Hants Avon and Dorset Stour - have been below par simply because the water levels have been - and remain - so low.

But how about you?

sam vimes

Reaction score
Seriously curtailed by being out of the country for the first month or so of the season. Had what I'd easily consider the two best sessions of my life catching barbel, and plenty of them right up to PB size, on trotted maggot. Managed to squeak a carp out on floating bait on a water where everyone had previously suggested they wouldn't come up. Rediscovered an affinity for pole fishing along the way too. Outside of two days barbelling, nothing to write home about but I've enjoyed it none the less.

beerweasel

Reaction score
I didn't catch any monsters, but I only blanked a couple of times and enjoyed my fishing.
I met some great anglers and narrow boaters.
My rods are hung up now as I don't shoot fish in barrels. :wh
Now I can save up for that dream rod :D role on June.

sam vimes

Reaction score
My rods are hung up now as I don't shoot fish in barrels. :wh.

Plenty of stillwaters that you could fish for weeks without a sniff, if you get it wrong. Not all are stuffed to the gunnels with fish. My own syndicate lake has less fish than even the poorest river. Hard work at the best of times, but one hell of a challenge.

Morespiders

Reaction score
Tragic season for me, some nice tench midseason, only highpoint was a tarpon, having said that didnt go that much, got a lovely tan on one trip though

dangermouse

Reaction score
Had a great year. Returned to fishing after a long lay off, have fished canal, river and stillwater and I`ve enjoyed almost every session. I`d like to have done better on the river and to have caught a barbel but no complaints really.

Caught my first tench, first common carp, first double-figure carp. Tried legering for the first time and learned a lot about fishing in general. Made a few friends along the way, and discovered FM. Looking forward to the new season. :w

mol

Reaction score
I've had a simply brillant season, my best ever in fact!

Morespiders

Reaction score
Had a great year. Returned to fishing after a long lay off, have fished canal, river and stillwater and I`ve enjoyed almost every session. I`d like to have done better on the river and to have caught a barbel but no complaints really.

Caught my first tench, first common carp, first double-figure carp. Tried legering for the first time and learned a lot about fishing in general. Made a few friends along the way, and discovered FM. Looking forward to the new season. :w

Mouse, Get on Dam flask on the PaSC doo around Sept- Oct.
Plus A1 pits, date to be arranged

dangermouse

Reaction score
Plus A1 pits, date to be arranged

As regards Dam Flask, let me know the date and I`ll be there. A1 pits depends on if I have a car by then or can grab a lift but given the chance I`ll be there too. :D:cool:

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
a sorry affair that you are glad to see the back of?
Yes it was. Once of the worst seasons in my life despite having caught a new PB perch. Lots of rethinking to do, planning for the next season, what to try that's different, any new waters to explore. That's it about fishing, you have a totally cr@p season, but the next one still looks rosy - for now.....

---------- Post added at 22:25 ---------- Previous post was at 22:24 ----------

Watch it, he's only after your money........ ;) :D

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
Very ordinary season for me. A couple of nice little bags here and there that were better than the year before where i focussed on a few rather empty waters and barely caught anything, but way too few sessions in the season (only about 15?) as too much work in the way. Couldnt even get out today as i had hoped.

Next season will be different and i am looking forward to May when i hope to get out a lot more as some work hurdles are passed.

maceo

Reaction score
Yep, had a very nice season. Of course there have been frustrating blanks (especially over the past few months), but that's what makes the good sessions all the more enjoyable.

Caught a surprise brown trout which is a new species for me.

Caught a new PB chub in the summer.

Had many very enjoyable and peaceful sessions. Didn't fall in. Only snapped one rod!

Next season I want to catch a tench - never caught one of those yet.

maceo

Reaction score
I've got a book about them waiting to be read Sam, but I thought the weather needed to warm up a little more first before they're really biting?

I don't think I can manage 10 weeks with no fishing, so no doubt I will be (a little reluctantly) heading to the lakes at some point. Might be a good opportunity to target tench.

Much prefer flowing water to still, but can't be doing with the 2 feet of filthy water swilling this way and that in the canals round here! Too narrow tow paths with people coming past all the time with dogs and bikes and bloody barges! No thanks!

I might give that Richworth Linear place at Standlake a try. There must be other fish in there apart from carp, surely....

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
A veritable bowl of mixed nuts for me.Did OK on the tench during the summer with a surprise bonus double figure bream in amongst them but got pestered by bloody carp wherever I went. Trouting was good at times,not so good at others but failed miserably on the sea trout front.Never fished for barbel at all and spent all winter on a quest for a double figure zed and though I failed by 2 oz did catch a few nice fish on the way. Missed the chub fishing at Throop by a week but that's already pencilled in for next year

Nearly drowned twice...first at Marsh Farm and secondly on the Itchen courtesy of that jonah Windy.

Time to swab down the zander gear,stick it in the shed until next autumn and get me trout gear out.

peterjg

Reaction score
Had a good summer carping with several 30s, autumn/winter roaching mainly blanks on the Thames. After trying for a 20lb pike for 40 years I eventually caught a 21-10 - I think it felt sorry for me!