Plans for next season?

murv

Reaction score
I'd love to get a 6lb Chub from my local river. Not sure if it's feasible but will be fun trying!
I will also try and catch a river carp. Although carp aren't my thing, I'd love one from the river.

Any plans for the new season?

maceo

Reaction score
To tick (at least) one more species off my quite long 'never caught one of those' list:-

Tench
Pike
Rudd
Carp (all varieties)
Barbel

samcoles

Reaction score
Been fishing the rivers with what little fishing I've done the past couple of years.

Bit of a change - I've joined the Wokingham California Country Park syndicate this year... so the plan is to catch a few carp and to go fishing a lot more :)

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
For once I really don't know what to target for the coming season.

Typically I chose not to fish for coarse fish during the Close Season, so my attention turns to fly fishing for river and stillwater Trout until around the end of August when my coarse fishing starts again.

So, I'd like to better my current river Brown Trout PB as well as maybe get a few sessions on Avington for some of those enormous Rainbows that live there.
I'll be taking a trip down to the South West's trout streams again for a long weekend or two as well - catching Trout along the Tarka trail is a grand experience.

As for my Coarse fishing, I really haven't decided yet as to what to target; I've not fished seriously for Barbel for many years so that's a possibility, and I'll always take a few 2 or 3 nighter trips for Carp and/or Tench

I am leaning towards a 'small' fish campaign though to be honest, Roach and Rudd from stillwaters would make a lovely change from my usual river-centred season.

So, I'll give it some more thought and decide at leisure I reckon.

flightliner

Reaction score
I'd like to better my current river Brown Trout
I had a personal best brook trout last year. It was in the centre of Sheffield.
I had taken my car in for a service and the proprietor gave me a ladder to descend onto the banks of the almost totally built over ,hardly anyplace to find access to river Sheaf (google it --some amazing pics)that gave the city its name.
I had eight little brookies that had never been taken to task by an angler.
An hour into my little quest the proprietor leaned over the wall and passed me down a big bacon cob, a packet of crisps and a hot coffee.
Now thats what I call a car service ----food ,drink, and exclusive trout fishing!!!!
The best must have gone all of eight ounces, it made my day.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I had a personal best brook trout last year. It was in the centre of Sheffield.
I had taken my car in for a service and the proprietor gave me a ladder to descend onto the banks of the almost totally built over ,hardly anyplace to find access to river Sheaf (google it --some amazing pics)that gave the city its name.
I had eight little brookies that had never been taken to task by an angler.
An hour into my little quest the proprietor leaned over the wall and passed me down a big bacon cob, a packet of crisps and a hot coffee.
Now thats what I call a car service ----food ,drink, and exclusive trout fishing!!!!
The best must have gone all of eight ounces, it made my day.

What a wonderful service., I just wish my local garage offered the same, and they have the Hampshire Avon running behind their premises too . . . . . maybe I'll ask them next time I'm there.

Those little brook trout really are lovely aren't they, and a pleasure to catch.

Keith M

Reaction score
Well I am taking early retirement in two weeks time; so I am hoping to be able to spend a lot more time by my favourite waters.

Ill be able to fish for Tench, Crucians and Carp at first light then after a quick lunch and maybe a quick snooze I will be down my favourite Stream after some Barbel and Chub.

Well thats the plan anyway; and we all know what can happen to some of our best laid out plans; especially if the wife gets involved Lol... :)

I'm also hoping to target some of the big Perch and Roach that inhabit the stream and which occasionally get caught.
Of course that depends on there being any water left in the stream after this drought we are having.

Last edited:

dangermouse

Reaction score
I don`t really have any targets as regards weights. I would like to catch a barbel and maybe a pike if I can find someone to have a session with. Other than that, just to go fishing as often as I can and to enjoy myself.

watatoad

Reaction score
To be a better and more observant angler than I was last season. I must keep improving.

chav professor

Reaction score
A seven pound Suffolk Chub is the ultimate goal! no..... lets be realistic.... I would love to land another '6'. Failing that, I am quite happy playing the numbers game and aim to catch 50+ Chub over 4lb in the season.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Possibly a 2½ lb + grayling - finding the LIF a better colour than deep chocolate and not rising quicker than the price of petrol might help;)
Jerry

red creel

Reaction score
Definitely more trotting for Barbel for me without doubt that was the most enjoyable aspect of last season for me.I also have a hankering for a PB Rudd as my best Rudd came way back in 1975.

themyth

Reaction score
A seven pound Suffolk Chub is the ultimate goal! no..... lets be realistic.... I would love to land another '6'. Failing that, I am quite happy playing the numbers game and aim to catch 50+ Chub over 4lb in the season.

always wonder why an angler fishes for chub?
is it because they are greedy and are always easy to catch?

im after an elusive unknown mirror carp this year! im not bothered what she weighs,as long as she's over 40lb.

Keith M

Reaction score
always wonder why an angler fishes for chub?
is it because they are greedy and are always easy to catch?

im after an elusive unknown mirror carp this year! im not bothered what she weighs,as long as she's over 40lb.

I sense a bit of one-upmanship creeping in here LOL...

Not many 'unknown' Carp over 40lb around though to be truthful is there!

The reason why a lot of anglers (including an ex-Carper like myself) choose to catch species other than Carp is because they like 'active' fishing, and spending hour upon hour just waiting for that one big fish has become much too boring for them; especially when they could be out catching decent sized specimens of other species on more suitable tackle.

Even anglers who have caught 50lb Carp like Yates have switched to other fish as their favourites.

Theres nothing wrong with wanting to catch Carp, I too like Carp; but don't assume that other species are easier than Carp to catch until you can go out and catch 2lb plus Roach at will, or 7lb plus Chub at will or 9lb plus Tench at will; and not accidentally on Carp gear either. LOL..

:eek:mg: :) ;)

Last edited: