Shakespeare Mach 3 Reel.

freebird7

Reaction score
Having heard great things about these reels I have managed to locate them for the excellant price of £34.99 however they only have the 040 size in stock.

I was really looking at the 035 size for some medium/heavy float/ledger work but am concerned that the 040 is going to be a bit cumbersome for the float work despite it being by all accounts a fairly compact reel. Opinions very welcome should I take the bargain and run with the 040 or will I be better off stumping up full price for the 035 or alternative?

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
There is not much in it mate, you go for it, I am a Shimano and Diawa man myself but one of my mates swears by shaky gear and loves their reels.

Mark

Fred Boniface

Reaction score
I have a Mach 3 which I purchased in 2008/9. I dont think you need to worry about the size/weight of the 040. I bought mine primarily for float fishing with waggler or pellet float so I use it with 4lb upwards line. It matches up OK with a slighltly stronger float rod - I have never tried it with very light line/tackle.

It is a very smooth reel in use - I have the FD version and the clutch is very good.

chav professor

Reaction score
Awesome little reel! If you had £60+ i'd go for a Daiwa...... But for the money the Mach 3 is stunning. I am currently putting one through its paces. So far, the clutch has proved to be silky smooth, little line twist, no nasty tangles and good cranking power.

Top tip: Try and write letter of the week in the Anglers Mail..... I have got two now for nowt!

freebird7

Reaction score
I brought a Diawa Matchwinner 3553F a few yera ago the thing was Junk even after a repair and service the bail arm is still floppy and unreliable. Perhaps I need to spend a bit more when buying Diawa to really get the quality but I have been put off.

These days its Shimano, Okuma or the top end of the Shakespeare range for me.

watatoad

Reaction score
I have and use some shakespeare reels the Mach 3 and the Mach 3 xt both are very good with excellent clutches on I have them in front and rear drag, not had any problems with any of them. 2 friends also use them and none have reported any troubles.

We do though all fish very fine and are essentially River men although Clive chases Crucians and Tench a fair bit and naturally a few Carp.