Englands most over rated coarse fishing river.... ?

Philip

Reaction score
I say the Trent simply based on the amount of hype it seems to be getting nowadays from those with a rose tinted rather than pragmatic outlook.

But, hey, what do you think ?

sam vimes

Reaction score
That's more than a little harsh, no need to be mean;):p. I won't go for the hyperbole, or even pass comment. I haven't regularly fished every river in the country so couldn't really say which the best, or most over rated, river is.

However, I do know that the Trent has been pretty special for the last couple of years. If it wasn't, I'd not be making trips down there. I'd rather not bang on about it too much though. The Southerners will get sick of fishing in fishless trickles sooner or later, sooner, if the more northerly rivers get too many plaudits.;):wh

dezza

Reaction score
I speak regularly to anglers who fish the Thames. What comes through is that they are catching very few fish.

Whilst on the Trent, huge catches are often regularly taken. I've taken a few myself.

But I'd better keep quiet. I have seen recently too many vehicles with below the Watford Gap tax discs.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I speak regularly to anglers who fish the Thames. What comes through is that they are catching very few fish.

Whilst on the Trent, huge catches are often regularly taken. I've taken a few myself.

But I'd better keep quiet. I have seen recently too many vehicles with below the Watford Gap tax discs.

You keep quiet about the Trent? As ,Buddy Holly sang " That'll be the day":D

Philip

Reaction score
I have never fished the Trent but if your accounts of it are anything to go by I think I already know what to expect….

…As I drive up from London towards Nottingham I will begin to see a glowing sphere of golden light growing brighter and brighter as I approach the Trent Valley. As I park my car and head towards the bank across buttercup laden meadows the air will be filled with Birdsong and then I will be stopped in my tracks by the sight of the river itself. I gasp as I behold a mighty silver thread etched across a landscape painted by the hand of angels.
Fish of every species will be cavorting in the crystal clear water, a veritable caldron of aquatic life bursting and brimming with vitality and all of them eager to take my bait. I bow my head in solemn contemplation as I think of all the famous anglers who have come before me and reflect that perhaps the Trent Otter himself stood in the very spot I am standing now. Yet another splash from a monster Barbel shakes me from my thoughts and I lick my lips in anticipation of a red letter day indeed. But lets not forget ..the Trent does not suffer fools gladly and I know I will need to show skill and cunning to extract its inhabitants for although plentiful only those with supreme skill will reap its rich rewards…

Lee Swords

Reaction score
I have never fished the Trent but if your accounts of it are anything to go by I think I already know what to expect….

…As I drive up from London towards Nottingham I will begin to see a glowing sphere of golden light growing brighter and brighter as I approach the Trent Valley. As I park my car and head towards the bank across buttercup laden meadows the air will be filled with Birdsong and then I will be stopped in my tracks by the sight of the river itself. I gasp as I behold a mighty silver thread etched across a landscape painted by the hand of angels.
Fish of every species will be cavorting in the crystal clear water, a veritable caldron of aquatic life bursting and brimming with vitality and all of them eager to take my bait. I bow my head in solemn contemplation as I think of all the famous anglers who have come before me and reflect that perhaps the Trent Otter himself stood in the very spot I am standing now. Yet another splash from a monster Barbel shakes me from my thoughts and I lick my lips in anticipation of a red letter day indeed. But lets not forget ..the Trent does not suffer fools gladly and I know I will need to show skill and cunning to extract its inhabitants for although plentiful only those with supreme skill will reap its rich rewards…

As the early morning haze began to burn with the fire of the rising sun I sat transfixed by the spectacle of several failed southern carp anglers struggling with their heavy burden through the damp nettle infested meadow. Even though the day was still young several of them had already seen fit to shed themselves on their upper layers of clothing and offer their pasty white forms up as an offering to the sun God.

They stopped at the first available point and offered a libation of recycled Stella Artois to the river.

The River was less than impressed. it had seen better.

The River graciously accepted their parsimonious gifts of single pellet and popped up fluoro snowmen and passed them to its lesser inhabitants as means of sustenance but it did not see fit to bring forth something in return.

The River lost interest in such miserly forms as these and turned its attention to one of its favoured sons.

He had seen fit to remove the litter that had gathered upon her banks, litter that had been left by the previous pilgrims although she did not appreciate their offerings and wished they would instead take them home.

After removing the desecration her favoured son had seen fit to lay a table upon which all The Rivers inhabitants were free to fill their bellies.

His methods were sound and his handling most gentle.

The River saw fit to honour his presence once more and poured forth her bounties.

the failed Southern Carp anglers however were rewarded with little more than horsefly bites for their troubles, even though they were in possession of all the gear they were found wanting an for an idea.

Philip

Reaction score
Not bad ! ... Although you forgot to add the failed Southern Carpers would also do their bit to help diversify the Trent Biomass by stocking it with some of their famous Thames “brown trout”. …apparently it’s the only fish that floats…

904_cannon

Reaction score
Durham City, Co Durham ... STILL The Land of The P
As the early morning haze began to burn with the fire of the rising sun I sat transfixed by the spectacle of several failed southern carp anglers struggling with their heavy burden through the damp nettle infested meadow. Even though the day was still young several of them had already seen fit to shed themselves on their upper layers of clothing and offer their pasty white forms up as an offering to the sun God.

They stopped at the first available point and offered a libation of recycled Stella Artois to the river.

The River was less than impressed. it had seen better.

The River graciously accepted their parsimonious gifts of single pellet and popped up fluoro snowmen and passed them to its lesser inhabitants as means of sustenance but it did not see fit to bring forth something in return.

The River lost interest in such miserly forms as these and turned its attention to one of its favoured sons.

He had seen fit to remove the litter that had gathered upon her banks, litter that had been left by the previous pilgrims although she did not appreciate their offerings and wished they would instead take them home.

After removing the desecration her favoured son had seen fit to lay a table upon which all The Rivers inhabitants were free to fill their bellies.

His methods were sound and his handling most gentle.

The River saw fit to honour his presence once more and poured forth her bounties.

the failed Southern Carp anglers however were rewarded with little more than horsefly bites for their troubles, even though they were in possession of all the gear they were found wanting an for an idea.

Very nice, Jim :D :rolleyes: ..err Lea

You'll very soon discover ;)

Last edited: