River Stour (Midlands)

John Wootton

Reaction score
Anyone on here fished the BAA stretch of the Stour, new stewponey? It lookslike a nice stretch for a few short winter modile sessions, but no idea if it holds anything worth fishing for (ie decent roach or small chub?)

Or does anyone know of any other day ticket stretches?

Steve Holland

Reaction score
Thats the section at Stourton isn't it????? Yup, theres plenty of small roach and chub. Occaisionally a bigger roach shows up but only had them to around 1lb. Someone did tell me there were some good pike there but have neither seen nor caught any! You could always nip upto the canal behind it (sort of!) if you dont catch. Definitely a roving river IMHO. The big bonus is that there are no matches on there so is available every weekend!;-) I think there are some free sections nearer Kiddy on the same river, in fact Des Taylor has fished from one the supermarket carparks in the centre of Kiddy.

Stephen Williams 2

Reaction score
My club looked at it a couple of seasons ago as a possibility for renting.

We had a couple of sessions on there, and caught come very good Dace, and a few Roach and Chub.

There are also a few Carp and Tenchabove the Weir/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif.

They came out of the canal a few years ago, when the bank collapsed.

Its a bit of a shite hole to be honest, with rafts ofcrap around each bush/tree.

It's quite unbelievable how many plastic bottles and general rubbish can get into a little river like that.

Shame really.

Worth a few roving sessions.

Bread, worm, maggott etc with either float or small feeder.

Also fished it a bit further downstream......./forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif, and caught a few nice fish..../forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif.

Steve

www.caravanonthesevern.co.uk

John Wootton

Reaction score
Thanks for the info.

I had a quick walk along there a couple of weeks ago when I was driving past, the section above and below the weir looks OK, upstream it does look snaggy, loads of unfishable areas with masses of branches in the water (didn't see much rubbish though - maybe thats a summer problem?)

I'll give ita go, roving as you suggest. Might even see if there are some decent perch in the snaggy swims.