Winter Fishing

Nigel Sands

Reaction score
Hi,

is winter fishing any good or is it a waste of time and effort.

Looking at going fishing one weekend before christmas on some local ponds/pits and was wondering if there was any point?

Any advice would be helpful, -baits, tackle, depthsetc....

Cheers

Nigel.

B

Bob "chubber"Lancaster (ACA)

no fishing is a waste of time nigel and winter is most certainly good fishing. You just gotta know where to go. What fish are you after . Roach, perch ,pike , and even winter bream. And i wouldnt realy callit winter yet mate so Go and have fun.

Deanos

Reaction score
Chubber is right!...get out and enjoy yourself.

I fish the rivers around me through the winter, can be very hard work, but it in turn makes you think and graft and try hard...and that has got to be good.

You start to learn water craft, read the river and understand the environment you are fishing in.I fished my first commercial at the end of last week, a chublet a chuck....in a perverse kind of way I much prefer grafting my nuts off even for just one river chub in winter...making things happen rather than having starving fish jump on the hook.

Maybe the next time I am sat on a winters evening on me tod covered in frost watching the isotope...I may regret the above....naaaa /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

Rickrod

Reaction score
you could ask your local tackle shop for some advice

peter lawler

Reaction score
hi nigel. preparation is the key, wear the right gear and take a flask. I use curried maggots, I buy them 3 days before I plan to go out. put 2 heeped desert spoons to a pint let um eat ittotake on the flavor.tescos madras or hot, cheep additives. beware it stains your hands.when it gets really hard on still waters, remember fish have to swim on rivers thus feed.and they don't ice up as quick. good luck

twitch

Reaction score
Gab your tackle and get out there, but don't forget to wear warm clothing & take a hot drink. Some butties, a hat, chololate bars, a seat, a pack of mints and you might aswell take some bait for the fish (if you've got space left) and gloves. The fish feed in all weathers. get out there and give it a go.

J

john conway (CSG - ACA)

No winter fishing is definitely not a waist of time, it’s just different. In the winter there is less natural food therefore your bait will more welcome. Because fish are cold blooded their digestive system is not as efficient and they tend to have shorter feeding spells in cold weather. Most fish will shoal up in the winter therefore if you find where they shoal up I the winter and hit a feeding spell then you can have far better results than in the summer. The biggest down side to winter fishing is it’s not as comfortable in the cold and wet and a blank in the winter is much more of a downer than one on a nice summer’s day. The upside of this is there are far fewer anglers on the bank to compete with for the best swims.

Remember the old saying, no pain no gain. Like the lads say, wrap up grab your gear and enjoy.

T

teecee

I think its all been said in the replies but I would add that Winter fishing only becomes a drag because of three factors:

Not enough warm clothing especially gloves and hats(is it 90% of body heat goes out through the head?)-Not enough good food/chocolate etc-Not enough hot drink(I suggest that on really cold days hot tomato soup takes some beating).

<u>You must do your homework</u> on all three subjects-check out some of the threads on boots/clothing already threaded-check some of the nutrition websites for what to eat in cold weather-buy a stove or similar that gives you a continual supply of hot drink.

Get this right and fishing in winter is wonderful BECAUSE likely as not you will have the choice of swims and with good smelly baits(worms etc)and fining down your tackle you might just catch as well,but who cares......it has to be one of the best ways to spend a day!!!

I have never found it necessary to be out before 8am and although into the night can be productive I tend to finish at dusk-then home to a good meal and reflect on the day with abeer or two(or six).

Give it a go Nigel-rivers just fining down after rain and mild(ish)-boootiful!!!

clam

Reaction score
Try Grayling fishing if a river near you has them in.2 pints of red maggots,a float rod and you are away.Great sport in winter just dont fish in one swim all day./forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

Nigel Sands

Reaction score
Thanks everyone - i'm off fishing!!

it's only a little pit in a farmers field - i'm not into the big commercial places yet,like theserious fisher but its all great advice.

I'll report back on Saturday evening - hopefully without frost bite!!/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif.

Cheers, Nigel

DZ

Reaction score
For inspiration get a copy of 'A Passion for Angling' DVD and watch 'Midwinter Madness'.

Still the greatest inspiration to the winter angler ever recorded.

J

john conway (CSG - ACA)

I agree Dougal, is it out yet on DVD? Autumn's my favorite then Midwinter Madness.

Swingtip

Reaction score
ifyou're an east european i'd say yes it'll sustain you but not as good as summer because not too much freshh salad to go withit .however the swan egss make for a good fried breakfast and no one will disturbe you that early in the morning lets faceitthe ea don't give a rats arse so why should we. its only only our adopted country sowho cares if we drive down to our old level the english won't do anything about it till it's too late . carp for dinner anyonee.............................swingtip

DZ

Reaction score
Has anyone seen Caught in Time? Is it in the same league as Passion?

T

teecee

I would be intersted to hear any comment on'Caught in Time'!!

Is it in a similar vein to 'Passion'-what is the content????

My Video of Passion nearly worn out-must get the DVD set ASAP!!

Still the best.........

J

john conway (CSG - ACA)

Cheers Big gus, been on the stie and put 'Caught in Time' DVD on my Christmas want list. The Passion for Angling I'll sneek in some time next year.

Nigel Sands

Reaction score
well as promised - my report,

checked the weather forecast and it gave torential rain for all day Satirday, stayed at home!!/forum/smilies/sad_smiley.gif

will try again soon - i'm not that desperate to go fishing - YET/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Nigel.

Steve Holland

Reaction score
Dont forget, feed to your bites. No point bunging in too much feed at the start as all you'll do is feed them up too quick. If you see fish movement chuck in 3 or 4 maggots(assuming you will be using maggots and being on a farm pond, silver fish are your target) then feed after a bite or a fish. I usually opt for a slow sinking bait to suss out which depth they are feeding at. You normally find they'll be upto a foot off the bottom (does depend on the depth of the place you are fishing). They sit in an area called the thermocline which is generally at a more comfortable temp. for them.