First visit to Whiteacres

bennygesserit

Reaction score
I was 50 this year , next week Me and my 2 lads are going for the weekend as a present.

I am a strictly amateur angler I only started again maybe 2 , 3 years ago and I fish maybe 10 - 15 times a year , especially now my local canal is starting to look like something out of miami vice.

I haven't fished a river since I was a kid and frankly although I enjoy fishing I don't have the time to devote to become massively proficient, but I do enjoy being outside.

So my 4 techniques are basically
1. plumb up till I find a shelf , fish on the desk with a pole and feed with a toss pot.
2. fish shallow and continually throw casters over the top looking for roach and rudd
3. Method feeder to whatever feature I think might hold fish
4. fish the margins on the desk with a waggler rod or pole.

I know I am asking a very genaralised question but is this a good approach ? Am I making fishing a commercial too complicated ?

I know there is another pool thats off complex - is that worth a go ?

Mainly we are looking to catch carp or whatever comes along.

Cheers

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Its a good while since I have been Benny ,but the silver fishing was exellent plenty of carp and tench if thats your thing as well.
I went in winter and fished the top lake mostly but I think that is out of bounds unless you are in a cabin in summer jennys lake I think.
The lake off site at Perranporth is full of big carp and nice roach or it was when I fished it twenty odd years ago,it was a day ticket fishery back then called Bolingey .
It is supposedly still a very good fishery so I am told.
You cant really go wrong on any of them luncheon meat sweetcorn bread prawns all worked when I was there.
Hope you enjoy yourself and the sun shines.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Thanks Gav , so mainly conventional commercial baits.
We may look at the other pool aswell, Imust admit now i'm really looking forwards to it, all fishing no having to get home , and you can get up early and straight into the fishing.

cg74

Reaction score
I like to fish a method feeder tight to islands etc, I usually fish a 8mm boilie or pellet on the hook. If I think it's possible to draw fish in, I will use a bomb and start casting a yard or two shorter and spread my loose feed over an area roughly 10ft x 10ft.
Often if the water is warm and the fish are having it, they'll move up in the water, a switch to pellet waggler is advised.

Regards fishing casters to target roach and rudd. Yes it'll work but it'll also draw carp, besides the silvers tend to be pretty small ; averaging 4oz and seldom if ever breaking a pound in weight.

Pole fishing and waggler are both excellent methods, with the waggler picking up a slightly better stamp of fish, though probably less of...

Bait wise, pellet really does rule supreme but 'old school' baits - meat, corn, worms, maggots, caster etc can/do out fish pellets.

I've never fished off site, never felt the need but here's a bit of back ground info: http://www.news-reel.com/Fishing_Guide_2011.pdf

If I were to offer one piece of advice to a pleasure angler, it'd be; stalk the margins in the evening, especially if the swim has been occupied all day. Use pretty robust tackle and fairly large baits; lumps of meat no smaller than an inch, four grains of corn or big lump of paste.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
I like to fish a method feeder tight to islands etc, I usually fish a 8mm boilie or pellet on the hook. If I think it's possible to draw fish in, I will use a bomb and start casting a yard or two shorter and spread my loose feed over an area roughly 10ft x 10ft.
Often if the water is warm and the fish are having it, they'll move up in the water, a switch to pellet waggler is advised.

Regards fishing casters to target roach and rudd. Yes it'll work but it'll also draw carp, besides the silvers tend to be pretty small ; averaging 4oz and seldom if ever breaking a pound in weight.

Pole fishing and waggler are both excellent methods, with the waggler picking up a slightly better stamp of fish, though probably less of...

Bait wise, pellet really does rule supreme but 'old school' baits - meat, corn, worms, maggots, caster etc can/do out fish pellets.

I've never fished off site, never felt the need but here's a bit of back ground info: http://www.news-reel.com/Fishing_Guide_2011.pdf

If I were to offer one piece of advice to a pleasure angler, it'd be; stalk the margins in the evening, especially if the swim has been occupied all day. Use pretty robust tackle and fairly large baits; lumps of meat no smaller than an inch, four grains of corn or big lump of paste.

Many thanks mate A baliff also advised me about fishing a bomb and spraying pellets over the top , it was too windy the day I tried it , but if conditions suit I'll add that to my , limited , armoury - cheers

A

alan whittington

Benny, feed 6-10 8-10mm pellets every 20-40 seconds on a pellet waggler(or similar),same size pellet on a hair or band and if your on the right conditions its incredible,as was said stalking in the evenings can also be excellent,dont neglect throwing some bait in when you move on,with the intention of returning.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Benny, feed 6-10 8-10mm pellets every 20-40 seconds on a pellet waggler(or similar),same size pellet on a hair or band and if your on the right conditions its incredible,as was said stalking in the evenings can also be excellent,dont neglect throwing some bait in when you move on,with the intention of returning.

how far out would that pellet waggler be , my casting is not good enough to do it long range , As I have 3 days to try things out , that feeding pattern is defintely on my list , I have seen it work to perfection with Rudd and roach.

Thanks Alan - I like the fact you tell me the exact amount mate.

A

alan whittington

how far out would that pellet waggler be , my casting is not good enough to do it long range , As I have 3 days to try things out , that feeding pattern is defintely on my list , I have seen it work to perfection with Rudd and roach.

Thanks Alan - I like the fact you tell me the exact amount mate.

For best results it would depend on the lake and features,a reasonable distance though,for the carp feel more confident there,also float depths can be as shallow as a foot.

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
I don't know the venue Benny, but had better fish on medium worms fished over a mix of castors and 4mm feeder pellets in the past week (Wassell Grove & Willow Marsh, if you know them). May be worth trying as an alternative bait.