Boilies For Tench

dangermouse

Reaction score
I`m planning an attack on a local pond with the intent of catching some of the bigger tench that are there (they go up to around the 4lb mark, maybe a little bigger). I want to fish a bait that the numerous small tench and crucians are likely to leave alone.I`ll probably have to pop the bait up as there are several inches of silt on the bottom so I was thinking of trying a few boilies either alone or in conjunction with a method feeder. So I`m looking for suggestions on flavours to try and rigs that would work well in those conditions.

Paul Morley

Reaction score
Oh go on, floatfish a big lobworm or bit of breadflake!! No? Ok tutti frutti / scopex boilies then, the method feeder should sort out the silt issue if there is one, or use a bit of plastic floating sweetcorn in addition to your boilie, balanced.

barbelboi

Reaction score
I wouldn't use them out of choice Neil but I've found that hair rigged 6mm/10mm tutti fruity have worked well in the past to get by the 'nuisance' fish - the tincas seem to approve of them.
Jerry
Buoyant plastic maggots/caster can also work well if used in conjunction with a maggot feeder. Three on a hair will sit them above a size 10 raptor with the weight of the hook enough to anchor it.

Simon K

Reaction score
Esterberry or any "fruity" ones are good. (Banana, pineapple, tutti frutti, etc).

dangermouse

Reaction score
Oh go on, floatfish a big lobworm or bit of breadflake!! No? Ok tutti frutti / scopex boilies then, the method feeder should sort out the silt issue if there is one, or use a bit of plastic floating sweetcorn in addition to your boilie, balanced.

I will probably try the float approach too but I was wanting to have a second rod out that I could cast and leave out for a while. Lobworms were something I`d considered but I hadn`t thought of breadflake, didn`t realise tench were particularly partial to bread, cheers for the tip Paul.

I wouldn't use them out of choice Neil but I've found that hair rigged 6mm/10mm tutti fruity have worked well in the past to get by the 'nuisance' fish - the tincas seem to approve of them.
Jerry
Buoyant plastic maggots/caster can also work well if used in conjunction with a maggot feeder. Three on a hair will sit them above a size 10 raptor with the weight of the hook enough to anchor it.

Do you think 15ml boilies would be too big then Jerry? I`ve a few small packs of those in strawberry, tutti-frutti, scopex, bloodworm and halibut that I was intending to use. (depending on the answers I received here)

I have some plastic maggots but no casters, although I dare say I can find some. If I was to use casters on the hair would I need to feed them too or would they be ok with maggots as feed?

red creel

Reaction score
I am more of a caster maggot and worm kind of guy when it comes to Tench.Have flirted with boilies on and off including all the usual suspects like Tutti Fruitti and Scopex.But the outstanding one has been Ringers White 6mml boilies, kind of goes against the grain as it is a fishy flavour rather than a sweet one.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Do you think 15ml boilies would be too big then Jerry? I`ve a few small packs of those in strawberry, tutti-frutti, scopex, bloodworm and halibut that I was intending to use. (depending on the answers I received here)

I have some plastic maggots but no casters, although I dare say I can find some. If I was to use casters on the hair would I need to feed them too or would they be ok with maggots as feed?

Neil, I've never gone above 10mm for tench although I've also caught some decent roach on 10's while barbel fishing and they have much smaller mouths than tincas. Plastic maggots/casters? shouldn't make much of a difference - re. need to feed, I wouldn't feed the plastic ones:D
Jerry

dangermouse

Reaction score
Neil, I've never gone above 10mm for tench although I've also caught some decent roach on 10's while barbel fishing and they have much smaller mouths than tincas.

Yeah I`ll give the 15ml a go seeing as that`s what I have atm. Depending how that goes I may buy some of those boilies that Rab posted (Cheers Rab :thumbs:)

Plastic maggots/casters? shouldn't make much of a difference - re. need to feed, I wouldn't feed the plastic ones:D
Jerry

Well duh, obviously . . . they`d float :rolleyes: :D

Cheers for all the advice guys :thumbs:

barbelboi

Reaction score
Yeah I`ll give the 15ml a go seeing as that`s what I have atm. Depending how that goes I may buy some of those boilies that Rab posted (Cheers Rab :thumbs:)

Best of luck Neil - if you're not getting bites on the 15's you could always whittle them down in size. IMO tincas can be one of the most unpredictable of fish and often I'll be tweaking this, changing that and very rarely finish a session the way I started.

As I stated earlier, although I’ve tried and caught with t/f boilies in the past, if I’m targeting tench I would not use boilies out of preference. I believe that tench prefer natural baits that look natural.My favourite baits are worms, maggots, sweetcorn, luncheon meat and chickpeas.

Jerry
PS, Bearing in mind I am not referring to tench on commercial waters of which i have little experience.

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
I like the 10 mm boilie for tench,the source by dynamite has provided some exceptional catches for me .I am going to try the sardine and anchovy this year but will go back to the source if they are not comparing.
Tench love bread though a nice bit of flake.

dangermouse

Reaction score
As I stated earlier, although I’ve tried and caught with t/f boilies in the past, if I’m targeting tench I would not use boilies out of preference. I believe that tench prefer natural baits that look natural.My favourite baits are worms, maggots, sweetcorn, luncheon meat and chickpeas.

Jerry
PS, Bearing in mind I am not referring to tench on commercial waters of which i have little experience.

Must admit I hadn`t thought of meat, that`s definitely worth trying. Do you ever flavour it with anything or just use it fresh from the tin?

It`s a natural water and has no carp in it so the natural baits might well be the better choice. I have quite a few options now so cheers again guys.:)

Hoping to get down for an early morning session either tomorrow or Thurs.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Must admit I hadn`t thought of meat, that`s definitely worth trying. Do you ever flavour it with anything or just use it fresh from the tin?

It`s a natural water and has no carp in it so the natural baits might well be the better choice. I have quite a few options now so cheers again guys.:)

Hoping to get down for an early morning session either tomorrow or Thurs.

I've used various flavours and 'as it comes' but I'm sorry to admit the best I have found is the Van Den Eynde boosted luncheon meat which seems to do an exceptionally good job at catching tench,carp and anglers at the best part of £3 a tin.
Jerry

dangermouse

Reaction score
I've used various flavours and 'as it comes' but I'm sorry to admit the best I have found is the Van Den Eynde boosted luncheon meat which seems to do an exceptionally good job at catching tench,carp and anglers at the best part of £3 a tin.
Jerry

Well it won`t be catching me, not at that price :eek: Interesting that you say that though. I`ve often wondered how they can justify charging £3 for meat and £2 for corn. Are the extra ingredients listed on the tin?

barbelboi

Reaction score
Well it won`t be catching me, not at that price :eek: Interesting that you say that though. I`ve often wondered how they can justify charging £3 for meat and £2 for corn. Are the extra ingredients listed on the tin?

I find JGG is as good as any of the t/s brands of corn and much cheaper (especially on 6 pack offers) You can always flavour it yourself if required.
Jerry
PS It used to be £1.99 for a smaller tin of meat and two of us used to share it punching 6mm pellets on short tench sessions. The annoying thing is it tends to work better than most.

dangermouse

Reaction score
I find JGG is as good as any of the t/s brands of corn and much cheaper (especially on 6 pack offers) You can always flavour it yourself if required.
Jerry

In true Yorkshireman fashion I tend to go for the Tesco value corn. I catch plenty of fish with it so I see no reason to change.