Hook Lengths

S

Steph McKenzie

Hi Everyone,

A general open question really.

Once you have tied your Hook Lengths how and what do you store them in?

I use all my Hook Lengths for Float fishing andFeeder fishing so i have them tied off at various lengths.

Thanks & Regards

Steph.

Deanos

Reaction score
I use a rig wallet/box (just like your carp hooklengths) for all my braid and fluoro hook lengths, as long as you don't pin them too tight I haven't found it makes a difference even with say a two foot length.

As regards mono hook lengths for the float, I pre tie my own and keep them in those clear plastic sleeves that you get for cds, cheap, cheerful, easy to write on, bs and hook size.

Cheap and cheerful...Yorkshire style!/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

S

Steph McKenzie

Hi Deanos,

Thank you for your reply, much appreciated. /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

As it is i was thinking of attaching them to them pole winders you can buy, what do you think, i can't see why it wouldn't work?

Can you think of any pitfalls?

Regards

Steph.

Deanos

Reaction score
It would be more efficient than my skinflint shortcut...right then, thats a brilliant idea and I shall do the same thing myself!

Thank you very much Steph!

P

Peter Jacobs (ACA, SAA, CA)

Hi Steph,

I don't know if they are still made but Tubertini used to make a cracking hook length storage system consisting of a set of polyethelene sleeves on which you wound the hook lenghts and a plastic wallet system for storage. See if your local tackle shop can help.

Storing them on pole winders is a relatively expensive method, bit one that obviously works.

Good luck.

W

will spencer

preston innovations make a purpose made hooklength box.it is pretty cheap but you can only store lengths upto 12".that should be long enough for a waggler but not big enough if you're pre tying feeder lengths.

feeder lengths,until you are at the venue how do you know how the fish are feeding?

you can't always judge the length of the hooklength until you've started the session.

P

Phil Hackett The common Boastful Expert :-)

Plumbers polystyrene pipe lagging 3 inch dia and 5 inches long is all I use for all my hooklinks, irrespective of what length or material they’re made of.Take a bradawl poke a row of 8 holes in a line and because all my hooklinks have swivel at one end and the hook at the other, I push the swivel in the hole and wined the hooklink up and stick the hook in just off to the side of the line when it’s coiled on. Dead simple and safe and rarely do the hooks come a drift. I normally have about 4 tubes of hooklinks in a side pocket in my tackle bag at anyone time. Two will be mono, one braid, one supermatis .

J

john conway (CSG - ACA)

I use small plastic packets, the sort that swivels and other bits and bobs come in. I wind my hook lengths around two fingers and then twist the swivel end of the hook length around the loop three times and always three times. I can then store the packets in my jacket pocket. I do the same with my cast for fly fishing. I use to use a rig wallet but anything longer than 9” ends up with a sharp kink in it and it doesn't fit in my jacket pocket. However, I like Phil's idea of using pipe insulation.

Jon Jagger

Reaction score
An option I saw one angler using was what looked like old (empty) spools of line. The hook of a new hooklength is hooked over the loop of the last hooklength already on the spool. Then the new hooklength is wound carefully onto the spool. The only issues are how to secure the loop on the last hooklength (I didn't see how he did that) and how to secure the hook when attaching the first hook (I didn't see how he did that either). But I'm sure these details could be figured out!

brewery boy

Reaction score
In the past i used paper (shiny stuff) packets they were made for the job should still be able to get them, I then got my good lady to make me a wallet out of a pliable leathery material with9 rows of 4 pockets each marked with hook size and bsthis was kept folded in my box.Idon't bother any more after it blew in the drink!, had to scrap the lot. So i tie each as and when i need it that way i can tie them to match thedays needs I have tried different other ways including winders trouble is after a while the linestretch's and then keeps kinks in it! each the length of the winder also the damp atmosphere of the tackle box/bag makes the hooks rust.

Regards BB.............

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Jon.

There were spools in the past like you have described.

You could use an old spool. Glue a piece of foam in the bottom of it, and put the hook of your first hooklength into the foam. Wind the line around the spool, and with a loop on the end of the hooklength, you could then attatch the hook of the next hooklength to that loop, and so on, until you have as many hooklengths wound onto the spool as needed. Put a small nick in the edge of the spool to secure the last hooklength in.

Other than that, I would use plastic packets as they don't kink the line.

eric hall

Reaction score
like the cd wallet idea cheap as chips on ebay, then get a small A5 binder, punch two holes in the wallets so they can fit into the ring binder and away you go, nice and organised, you can have as many as you want, and most of all it is cheap!!

J K

Reaction score
When I'm still-water fishing I use pre-tiedhooks and storedas john conway in small resealable plastic bags bought from Partners. I write the size and BS on the packet in indelible ink. I keep the unused hooks in a Chub Rig case and the used ones in an old metal cigar case stored in the rig case. When I'm river fishing I tie what I want on the day.

Waveney One

Reaction score
I just daisy chain together on a a pole winder and use an old bit of elatic with a paper on it as an anchor. The lengths are then immaterial although it is advisable to make them the same length. I have a a lot ready tied both for normal hooklengths and straight hair rigs. I also have some with spikes and pellet bands tied on. Just write the hook size, line strength or diameter and the length of the line on a cut down sticky label and stich it onto the winder. Problem solved. As an angling coach, I get through an awful lot of hooklenghts.