Help - Rod Sleeves for shorter rod handles

Keith M

Reaction score
I have a pair of Greys Prodigy Barbel rods which have a shorter handle compared to most rods.

I need to buy padded rod sleeves to carry my rods made-up; but because of the shorter rod handlethey wont fit into normal padded rod sleeves

Can anyone advise me on which padded rod sleeves that can be used with made-up rods with the shorter handles?

Keith

Reaction score
Good thought Keith.

I just bought a Prodigy too. The bottom half is more rod than butt. I never thought about the position of the reel seat, so would have just bought the sleeve to go with my quiver.

I'll be watching this space too!

E

Evan NotMightyAtAll

Me too. The padded puff out bits for the reels on my rod bag are definitely set too high, the reels just sneak in at the bottom with acres of wasted space above. An inch or two lower down and the whole thing would work better as it ought and intended.

Mind you, a manufacturer in bulk is going to have to cater for the average market that there is, not the odd bespoke butt shorteners like us out there, so I'm not holding my breath ! If its bespoke it will be three times the price - so I will just have to continue taking my reels off as the better practice.

David Craine

Reaction score
Keith ..

I have a pair of Fox barbel rods with short handles, they just fit in a Cypry rod sleeve,with a spare tip section, I also have a pair of Shimano barbel rods, handles the same length they also just fit,both with reels attached and a tip protectors on.Iwould think that your rod handles would not be much different in length, mine are 18 1/4 " from butt to base of reel seat where the foot of the reel goes in .

I bought the rod sleeves "blind"at one of the warehouse tackle sales for a fiver each, luckily they fit

Hope this helps.

Dave.

Keith M

Reaction score
I was thinking about looking at the Chub Triple S rod sleevewhich looks as though the reel pouches extend toquite close to the the bottom but I would like to have it confirmed first before I buy. Although I only take one rod when stalking so would rather have a simple padded rod sleeve.

Keith M

Reaction score
Matt, as suggested I have just started the same thread in the Barbel section, Thx.

David,Ill measure my Prodigies when I get home tonight to see if its the same length as the Fox and Shimano rods, thanks.

Keith

Keith M

Reaction score
David, I'm afraid that the Fox & Shimano rod handles are longer than the Prodigy. I measured the distance from the back-end of the reelto the rod end and it measured 14 inches. so the Cypry rod sleevesmay be too tight a fit for the Prodigy. (NB. the reel is a Shimano 5000 GTE B).

thanks anyway David

PS. I have been told thattheChub Triple S Rod Sleeveis9" from base to start of external reel pouch;so I am going to buy one of those.

Thanks again

Keith