Browning 517 reel

eric hall

Reaction score
Can anyone give there opinions on the Browning 517 fixed spool reel, have been offered one but not sure how much to pay, how good they are and how much they originally cost, thanks.

Reaction score
Googled it Eric - nothing on the UK, and very limited reference world wide - seen a picture on French ebay - looks very basic and the seller was asking 5 euros as a start price.

Beecy

Reaction score
Im a big fan of browning reels Eric, but ive not heard of that one, ive got the browning catalogues for the last few years and its not listed.

Thats one of my only grumbles with browning, they seem to be obsessed with tweaking models andchange the whole range every year

the number 517 does not seem to fit with the numbers they generaly give reels designed for general english type fishing, i suspect its what they would call a spinning reel

I have three bownings, Syntec STX 630 & 620, and a black magic830, the STX's are superb reels, no longer in the catalogue but you can still get them and generaly at bargain prices of £30 or less, i think the original prices were in the £60/70 bracket

The black magic is also a decent reel but not quite as good quality as the STX's