Closing Fisheries

Risque Manoofus

Reaction score
It was with mixed feelings that I read of the loss of Burton Mere to fishing in the Anglers Mail last week.

Obviously its major crap to hear of any water being lostand this will probably put the cat among the pigeos but Im glad it went to the RSPB than yet another grasping syndicate. At least this way its gone to good use as opposed to a small bunch of anglers that take a water they could have fished anytime on a day ticket but want it all for theirselves as has been the case on many occasions before.

It was mentioned that some people felt betrayed by the owners decision to sell his business to the highest bidder. Who can blame him? The bloke wants to retire and enjoy the rest of his life. All power to his elbow.

It comes as no surprise that "angling" couldnt raise the money. When it comes to unselfish spending 90 percent of anglers cant raise an erection let alone a million quid. Trying to get anglers to join organisations like the ACA must be like trying to flog the "Big Issue" in Harrods.

Sure they will all stick their cards in the slot for a new set of Greys , a new pole or a box with gay abandon but stick a couple of quid on a rod licence or some other such thing for the better of the sport for everyone, or ask them to do 3 work parties a year and they (90%) are squealing like a piggy in Deliverance.

Wouldnt it be brilliant if the RSPB felt they could share that water with responsible anglers they could trust? Cloud cuckoo land I know but seriously the next time you go on your local water and you sit down and see 20 odd dog ends trod in the mud. Line in the rushes, plastic bags with famous angling labels plastered all over them, meat and sweetcorn cans thrown into the hedges at the side of your peg. Ask yourself an honest question , "If it was your water would you share it"?

The author mentions in the article that he felt it was another nail in the coffin of angling. I dont thinkangling needs antis or the RSPB or any organisation to destroy this sport. They are totally capable of wrecking it theirselves with the general stinking attitude of those millions of people that participate.

If angling is to be lost then it wont be lost to the idiots who wreck our sport and our reputation. They will carry on and fish regardless in much the same way as they do on many waters that are closed already through bad behaviour. Those causing the problem will ignore the rules and fish it anyway while the responsible anglers will lose out.

I think our sport as a whole needs a bloody good shake up by an organisation with real clout to patrol, confiscate and fine in the courts on a regular basis and continue to do so until such times as we can hold our heads up again as a sport. In fact I think I will start it. All it needs now is funding. Right were did I put those coppers I had last Tuesday?

W

Wolfman Woody

Top rant.

You never know with the RSPB, they might (I say MIGHT) just let anglers back onto their waters soemtime in the future. After all, there's several waters that anglers have the rights to that they share with other birdwatchers.

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Yes Woody, but they don't allow camp fires or discos so not much use to realanglers.

Reaction score
Many good points there Risque.

I daren't put a figue to it, but there are enough anglers out there whos attitude and behaviour on the bank side is bad enough to give us all a bad name.

For the reality and perception top be any different then there has to be some big changes in the attitude of those who fish 'in a vacuum'.

CHRIS BARKER

Reaction score
I AGREE BUT A LOT OF WATERS HAVE TO PUT THER OWN HOUSES IN ORDER MY LOCAL COUNCIL RUN LAKE IS A HELL HOLE FOR ANGLERS IT HAS A MAD TICKET SYSTEM WHERE YOU CAN GET YOUR TICKET FROM A MACHINE FROM 08:30 AND THEN YOU MUST BOOK IN WHEN THE OFFICE OPENS @ 10:00 WHICH MEANS YOU MUST LEAVE YOUR GEAR ON ITS OWN WHILE CHECKING IN. A DODGEY SITUATION AT THE BEST OF TIMES ! IT HAS QUITE GOOD FACILITYS A NICE CLEAN TOILET BLOCK WITH HOT WATER AND ALSO IT HAS A NICE LITTLE CAFE THAT IS FAIRLY REASONABLY PRICED THEY DO A GREAT DOG ROLL AND NICE HOT COFFEE ON THOSE MISERABLE COLD MORNINGS ! BUT THE LAKE IS OVERRUN WITH HORRIBLE LITTLE CHAVS THAT SHOULD NOT BE FISHING THE LAKE SOLO & NONE OF THEM EVER PAY YOU CAN SPOT THEM A MILE AWAY THEY HAVE MORRISONS CARRIER BAGS AND A ROD AND REEL SET FROM OUR LOCAL £ SHOP AND ALL MANAGE TO DISAPEAR INTO THE WOODS IF THE PARK RANGERS DECIDE TO HAVE A WALK AROUND THE LAKE ALSO THE LAKE IS USED AS A DOG HYDROTHERAPY POOL BY LOTS OF DOG OWNERS A FEW WEEKS AGO I WAS TRYING TO GET A BITE & A LARGE LUMP OF TREE LANDED IN MY SWIM FOLLOWED BY A LARGE RETRIEVER TYPE DOG EVEN THOUGH THE RULES STATE THAT ALL DOGS SHOULD BE LED AROUND THE LAKE AREA IT IS A SHAME AS A FEW YEARS AGO IT WAS A NICE ARTIFICIAL LAKE WITH A GOOD MIXED HEAD OF TENCH ,CARP ,RUDD,ROACH ........................ALL THAT SEEM TO HAVE BEEN REMOVED FOR SOME REASON . SHAME AS IT IS ONE OF THE FEW DAY TICKET WATERS NOT RUN BY A CLUB OR ASSOCIATION PERHAPS THAT WOULD HELP MATTERS IF IT WAS ?

F

Fred Bonney

Totally agree Risque!

Chris,shouting doesn't work then?/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

tinca steve

Reaction score
totally agree with the rant ! ! !
But with the attitude of councils / bailiffs these days re. dogs and doggydodo's versus the angler we have no chance. I would suggest that you do what we did around our council lake we informed all anglers to rant re dogs and rules and if they want our income they had better do something about it . Funny how quick things changed.

All anglers should join the A.C.A. with an added extra £5 to be put into a buy-up fund thenthey could issue tickets to twitchers and the like so making a bob or two for the A,C.A.

Risque Manoofus

Reaction score
Ive just noticed that I opened this thread and someone else had previously posted on the same subject on the "General Fishing" section.

As I have said I hadnt seen the first post and apologise to the author. It wasnt done intentionally to hi-jack someone elses post.

Sorry.

J

John H Member of THE C.S.G.. & The A.T.

My clubs own a water that is worth close to the £1m and to be honest I feel embarrassed to call myself an angler at times. Every bit ofrubbish in the County finds its way there, (and sh*t, literally) andall left behind byso called 'anglers'

If I had my way I would ban angling there.

I thinkI had the same lump of tree/dog in a swimI was fishing on the Wensum about 20 years ago /forum/smilies/angry_smiley.gif

Noel80

Reaction score
There's an interwiew in this week's Anglers Mail with the guy who sold Burton Mere recently. Interesting stuff. Always good to get both sides of an argument.

He'd been trying to sell for 4 years apparently. 60 odd visits.

He also made a comment about noticing a change in angler's and their attitudes in the past few years. Litter, lack of respect (mate's of anglers wandering around in the middle of the night dropping off takeaways to their mate's in bivvies etc etc)

This is a guy whose run a fishery for 30 years. So I think he knows what he's talking about.

Whether we like it or not there are anglers who give us a bad name. Don't know what we can do about it. I'm too scared to question their behaviour..............

There were 17 000 visits to the complex last year. Wow.

gerry h

Reaction score
noel i know terry and what you are saying is dead right ,unfortunatly there is not a great choice of waters in the area that appeal to the would be carp angler, so it was always going tto attract the odd idiot as that side of fishing became more popular

and john i know of a water on the wirral that should ban fishing, royden park was a beautiful lake 7/8 years ago ,but now thanks to our fishing brothers the place is a disgrace`

Peter Bishop

Reaction score
Risque, no offence taken I can assure you.

You put a different perspective on it anyway.

One of the things that seems to be coming out of this sorry mess is that maybe the end is in sight for the pay your fiver day ticket water where you can dump as much litter and line as you want as you might never go back there.

I know of one day ticket water who have created a membership list for trusted visitors. Abuse the place or the rules and your card is withdrawn.

Now I am not saying big clubs dont have knobheads amongst their membership (Baz will confirm that) but the culprits who so irk other anglers and conservationists (including Bird watchers) are often casual visitors whom most responsible clubs would not entertain.

Last year I saw a fishery owner attacked by two 15 year old girls ( he dealt with it admirably) who came to visit their brothers fishing and proceeded to throw rocks into other anglers swims. I suspect it won't be long before he has to surround the place in barbed wire fences with locked gates or make the specimen lake syndicate only.

That's what 30 years of liberalism and youth culture has brought us.

Instead of just grabbing the money commercial fishery owners should demand to see the EA licence first and note the name and address. Any bankside mess or trouble and they dont return. Full stop.

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
I've only been fishing for a few years myself, mainly carp fishing, but more recently just general coarse fishing.

Alot of my fishing has been done at club waters. The problem i have found with club waters is that they will readily take your money and set down what appear to be some Strict Rules and Threats of Banishment but seriously lack the People to regularly patrol and enforce the rules opting more for the Anglers themselves enforcing the rules amongst themselves. Unfortunately a lot of these lakes are close to Housing Schemes and it' not just the Idiot Fisherman we have to contend with littering and defacing the pools and surrounding areas. And in this day and age a lot of Anglers and Bailliffs are to scared to confront anyone breaking the rules for fear of reprisals.

The few day ticket waters i have fished some of them very big Complexes are again guilty of taking your Money and again do not have the staff or the resources to enforce the rules regularly enough. Parents drop there kids off at many fisheries in the summer and go and pick them up in the evening, alot of these kids don't even have the basic understandings of Fishing let alone how to respect the fisheries rules.

Now, that's not to say that every Angler should not be responsible for there own actions, they should, however a majority of anglers just want to go out and fish and don't care how they catch and don't care if they how they do it.

I've seen match fishermen with well over 100lb of fish in one keepnet (responsible behaviour)??????????

I've seen carp to well over 30lb kept in a sack all night just so an angler can get that all important Trophy Picture (Responsible Behaviour)?????????

The majority of Anglings failings seem to lie with us Anglers, i myself like to think i'm a responsible angler, but i know that with a better Angling Education i could probably do more (but i do try to follow all the rules where they apply).

It's time for us Responsible Anglers to Stand up and be Counted for what we Believe in. Forget about all the Politics of it all, cut out the crap, we all know what is right and what is wrong and for those that don't know the differance lets educate them or kick them out of the sport all together.

Well it's time i crawled back into my Snake Pit.

Good Day Everyone

Tight Lines

AND TAKE YOUR F***ING RUBBISH HOME WITH YOU (OR WE'LL FIND YOU AND MAKE YOU EAT IT) LOL