Bread

steph mckenzie

Reaction score
I was always under the impression that uncut tin baked loafs were better for surface fishing, just from what i've read and videos i've seen, they do tend to favour the uncut bread.

If it is sliced bread then Warburtons or Hovis ... you could try Kingsmill 50/50 i've heard good reviews about that.

rubio

Reaction score
Most carp I find aren't prone to advertising.
I go for fresh as poss on the hook, usually uncut so I can choose flake or crust. Really dry old bread can be great as feed on the top. It bugs the hell out of them cos they can't tear it apart. When they encounter a soft fluffy lump they often gulp and go. Close in I like to fish a centrepin on the rest and they will often self hook.

skullsat

Reaction score
warburtons or kingsmill 50/50,but fresh baked seems the better as more choice,flake,crust etc etc

red creel

Reaction score
The cheese flavoured speciality bread from Sainsbury's, a bit different to the norm but the carp seem to approve.

watatoad

Reaction score
I use an uncut loaf but have resorted to fruit bread, sultana scones, malt loaf. I like the uncut Irish soda bread best, with a French stick coming in second.

Windy

Reaction score
It depends on how much I am likely to be feeding.

On my local club lake, opposite the front door :D there are so many little rudd fry in the top layer of the water that an entire slice of Sainsbury's cheap 47p white sliced Basic loaf can go from being chucked in to no longer existing in as little as 45 seconds. I've timed it ! In such conditions I can easily get through feeding 5 or 6 loaves in a four hour session.

Nothing fancy, just a whole slice or three at a time frisbee'd in with the best accuracy I can manage. With just a couple of slices on top of lilly pads... damn good fun watching a big old carp nose whiffling away below and the crash 'n dash as they turn the pads over.

For hook bait I tend to use either a slightly better quality Warburtons white or, if I am feeling flush, a big fresh crusty tin loaf. Ball up the soft inner bread to golf ball - Cricket ball size, and / or use the crust as a decent hookholding surface floater.
Again, big pieces.
Learnt my lesson with small pieces - remember them Ruddy (see what I did there ?) fry. A Cricket ball size lump may seem huge but believe me a respectable carp will swallow that down no probs if it wants it, and with the little fry dashing in and tearing at it it doesn't stay that size very long either.
In passing, cricket ball sized lump of soft crust has always been my best big Bream bait as well.