Stillwater dace!

red creel

Reaction score
Myself and a friend were invited to fish a syndicate lake by a mutual friend on saturday.Our host suggested that tench would be a viable target till mid morning but that when the sun got up we should switch to wag n mag for the dace.I think we both did a double take at that remark as i have never encountered dace in lakes before.

Well we followed his advice and got to work with the catties and lo and behold after a run of twenty or so rudd a few dace paid us a call as well, some were a fair size as well good herring like specimen's.How the dace got in there is a mystery there is no ajacent river so it looks like at some point in the past they were deliberately stocked.Our host said that the syndicate had only been in operation for eight years and that according to the landowner the dace have been present as long as he can remember.

Without wishing to start up "river fish in lakes" arguement they are apparently thriving and along with the perch in the lake offer the mainstay of the winter angling for the syndicate members.Has anybody encountered dace in lakes before?..it was a first for me and just added to an already enjoyable day.

red creel

Reaction score
Yes. Is the lake stream fed by any chance? Reservoirs can often hold dace, after all they used to be rivers!

Not as far as i could tell i did a complete circuit of the lake in the afternoon and there was no sign of a feeder stream.I think the stocking theory is sound perhaps some numpty in the distant past thought he was stocking roach!:rolleyes:

barbelboi

Reaction score
Apart from the obvious, I've only know them in reservoirs and spring fed waters.
Jerry
PS Weren't the kids catching them from a punt in an episode from PFA from a fed pool or am I thinking of something else.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
I seem to remember Walker saying it only contained carp,eels, gudgeon and one chub called popeye.

dangermouse

Reaction score
PS Weren't the kids catching them from a punt in an episode from PFA from a fed pool or am I thinking of something else.

I think that was the stream outlet from Redmire, not that i have been there.

It was a dace but not at Redmire, they were fishing at "The Secret Lake".

I seem to remember Walker saying it only contained carp,eels, gudgeon and one chub called popeye.

I think you`re right, wasn`t aware of the chub though. My mate wants to fish Redmire but unlike most anglers he`s interested in the eels.

red creel

Reaction score
Apart from the obvious, I've only know them in reservoirs and spring fed waters.
Jerry

Yes you are right Jerry had forgotten about that APFA episode although unfortunately we were definitely not fishing that lake.I think Chris & Bob refered to that lake as Stub Mere which is an anagram of Bum Steer in a attempt to discourage the fish chasers!:rolleyes: