What do you call this ???

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
I've been in touch with Mark about this and also Peter Rolfe. We thinks it's a fantail goldfish crossed with a crucian. The bream reference is misleading. It's unusual to see characteristics such as fantail pass to hybrids but not impossible.

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
Looks like an ornamental comet-tail goldfish to me, just not an orange-red one. They can be white, orange, red, brown etc after all. The well developed long fins suggest it is not even a cross-breed - ie the parents were comet tailed goldfish.

You can also get comet-tailed koi - which have more exuberant finnage than their goldfish counterparts. Maybe a hybrid with those, if theres minute barbels that would prove it.

Last edited:

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
The lateral line count is outside the normal range for a goldfish - it's 31 which is why we think it might be a goldfish x crucian. I think a koi cross would probably have a higher lat. line count.

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
You are probably right then Mark, i was going by overall appearance alone. I have certainly had brown goldfish with comet tails, some that look like theres some crucian in them, but not with such well developed fins. Do the ornamental varieties of Koi and Goldfish still have the same lateral line counts as "wild" Cyprinus carpio and Carassius auratus respectively?

waggy

Reaction score
Methinks it's actually an advert for Angling Times sort of fish.

bub81

Reaction score
Nonsense.

Photo shop con.

Tackle editor + two brand names taking more photo space than the fish = cheap con.

Me thinks one or more of the above posters are in on this, trying to get the hits up.

Also, his gaze is too low and they would have stored the fish.

cg74

Reaction score
"What do you call this ???"

UGLY! and the fish ain't no better...

Why any 'expert' would bother to speculate when DNA offers definitive answers, is beyond me.

Last edited: