cirlce hooks

benny samways

Reaction score
Owner do some that are well rated by those that them, there are quite a few on the market that arent up to the job apparantly.

I think Chub anglers are starting to use them but I do not think they should be used whem targeting cyprinids such as carp and barbel as they damage these fishes mouthes.

terry m

Reaction score
Some pike anglers are gravitating towards circle hooks withsome considerable success.

Note that you do not need to strike with circles, you 'lift' into the fish instead.

balalur

Reaction score
Gamakatsu produce some good circle hooks for quite some time now.Used circle hooks once or twice as a test when feeder fishing for roach and tench.I was getting lots of bites but could not catch the buggers so I changed my hook to a circle one and started catching!Problem was I only had size 12 bought for chub ledgering and the roach I was catching were very small 3-4 inches so I just changed to float fishing.
I think they could be fantastic for feeder fishing and bolt-rigs were the fish are supposed to hook themselves!

Windy

Reaction score
...I do not think they should be used whem targeting cyprinids such as carp and barbel as they damage these fishes mouthes.

Baseless nonsense.

There is a very interesting and well researched answer about circle hooks posted by a chap as far back as 2006, see post 2 in thread http://www.fishingmagic.com/forums/carp-fishing/19766-circle-hooks.html

Very interesting reply, although a little long winded. Puts it very much the way I would.... :wh

And for those who want circle hooks in smaller sizes than size 12 then head over to Fulling Mill. Excellent quality hooks.

Plus as mentioned the Guru QM1's are essentially circle hooks, albeit not quite as exaggerated an inturned point. Damn good quality, tho a little heavier in wire than the Fulling Mill hooks.

benny samways

Reaction score
Baseless nonsense.QUOTE]

It might be nonsense but its not baseless. .

Indeed, here

http://www.fishingmagic.com/forums/carp-fishing/39406-circle-hooks-good-bad-carp.html

Dave Burr explains why he wouldnt use them for barbel. I respect his opinion, it was this litte tit bit that sat in my mind about them not being good for barbel.

Perhaps I shouldnt have said cyprinids just barbel. Although I cant see the point in using them for carp they seem much more suited to predator fishing.

red creel

Reaction score
QM1's.......

For those that fish for Grayling the smallest QM1'S are an excellent choice.I was bit concerned at first that the thickness of the wire would affect presentation.But i am prepared to put up with that possible shortcoming as grayling stay attached to this hook more than any other i have used in the past.I will be eternally grateful to the angler on the Test who put me onto them a few years ago.

balalur

Reaction score
...And for those who want circle hooks in smaller sizes than size 12 then head over to Fulling Mill. Excellent quality hooks.

Been to Fulling Mill website and no circle hooks smaller than size 12...Maybe they will re-stock later.
that second post came to basically the same conclusion with me as to the use of circle hooks in bolt-rigs etc.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Been to Fulling Mill website and no circle hooks smaller than size 12...Maybe they will re-stock later.
that second post came to basically the same conclusion with me as to the use of circle hooks in bolt-rigs etc.

QM1's go down to 18's and and barbless are readily available if required.
Jerry
Guru QM1 Hooks

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
I tied some buzzer patterns on QM1s. They are a bit awkward to tie, but they looked good. I showed them to my mate just before our last fly fishing trip and he managed to drop them into 6ft of water! I too have heard that they are good for grayling and I shall be trying them this Winter.

I bought some size 10 circle hooks to try for chub fishing as recommended by Simon King on here, but I haven't tried them yet. I think they were Gamakatsu, but I can't find them at the mo.

Windy

Reaction score
It might be nonsense but its not baseless.

Dave Burr explains why he wouldnt use them for barbel.

Good oh. That's them dismissed then. Not.

In passing, the answer to the problem he posits is that you should use a circle hook two sizes larger than the size you would use in a conventional hook.

The reason is that a circle hook has a much smaller gape, ie. distance between inturned point and the shank or shaft of the hook. This is the crucial distance for hook mechanics.

I think we all have experience of too small a hook burying itself in the lip of an unexpectedly large quarry.

---------- Post added at 00:22 ---------- Previous post was at 00:19 ----------

Been to Fulling Mill website and no circle hooks smaller than size 12...

OK ! 'tis true, http://www.fullingmill.com/index.php?c=125&p=32165
I don't know when they deleted the smaller sizes from their catalogue, but then again, a size 12 is (for the reason set out above) effectively the equivalent of a size 16 and how much smaller do you want to go when game fishing ? Suspect I may have been the only person to have bought any of the little ones.

So, Roll up, roll up, strictly limited edition and unrepeatable offer of size 18, 16 and 14 Fulling Mill circle hooks available at 50p each..... £5.00 for four* ;)

Last edited:

benny samways

Reaction score
I bow to your superior knowledge Windy.

I still wouldn’t use them for barbel, as there is no need.

Good use of the sarcastic 'Not'. I have not read or heard that amazing witism since 1996.

Thanks!

Simon K

Reaction score
I tied some buzzer patterns on QM1s. They are a bit awkward to tie, but they looked good. I showed them to my mate just before our last fly fishing trip and he managed to drop them into 6ft of water! I too have heard that they are good for grayling and I shall be trying them this Winter.

I bought some size 10 circle hooks to try for chub fishing as recommended by Simon King on here, but I haven't tried them yet. I think they were Gamakatsu, but I can't find them at the mo.

You want Light Mutu, Sean. Size 4 & 6 for bait sizes equivalent to 18 & 14mm respectively.

And I've used them for barbel and carp. (Sizes 2,4 & 6), very successfully.
Always partially crush the barb. ;)