Fishing clubs/waters close to SE London?

mullet72

Reaction score
Hi all

As I don't drive and am rather skint this season, I'm after some fishing that's easy to reach by train from South East London. Don't mind running or Stillwater but preferably fishing that would allow me to travel light, so no modern carp or tenching!

Trotting, Stillwater floatfishing, stalking or quiver tipping, all would be good. Preferably nothing too urban or frequented by ruffians!

Alternatively, anyone from my neck of the woods who'd like to have someone to occasionally share petrol costs, let me know.

rubio

Reaction score
Bexley area any good?
Check out River Cray on Dofreefishing website.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Where abouts in SE London are you?

There isn't too much in the way of river fishing in SE London. There are some lakes and ponds, most, though not all, are in an urban environment.

There are some pretty good waters in the Tonbridge area and TADFPS do a season ticket for about £45, they also do some day tickets, I used to be a junior member, I and a couple of school friends used to travel to Tonbridge by public transport nearly every weekend to fish their waters.

Another venue is Danson Park in Welling/Bexley, which wasn't bad, though it's many years since I fished it.

There is another venue near Woolwich which is a private club water, I considered joining last year, but I prefer to get out into the sticks, if you are interested pm me and I will send you the contact details.

If you don't mind a bit of a trek, then Marsh Farm in Surrey is quiite near a station and at the right times it offers some great fishing for Crucian carp.

Brooklands Lakes/Dartford Lakes, isn't too far from Dartford Station, I don't know exactly how far, not very far when you are 16, but it's a bl00dy route march if you're 56 I wouldn't fancy the walk now.

Let me know what area of the SE you are and I will try to give you more help.

Best wishes,

Ray.

mullet72

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice guys.

I would rather travel into the sticks than fish in urban areas. As I said in my OP I want somewhere I can reach by train, not necessarily in SE London itself. At the moment I'm torn between The Mole at Dorking and Cemex Sutton at Hone 1. The former is an hour to 1hr 15min journey which is about the maximum I want to do. The latter is around forty minutes. Both will entail a five to fifteen minute walk the other end which is about the maximum I want to do to reach a venue. Ideally I want to be catching a train from East Dulwich, Forest Hill or Peckham Rye.

Ray, I have looked into Brooklands myself as Dartford is an easy journey but I've heard that it often attracts idiots. I've briefly looked into Tonbridge but couldn't work out how close to stations the waters were. I think I also have to travel into London Bridge first which I'd rather not do if possible.

I know it seems I'm hard to please but I want to relax and enjoy myself when I'm fishing, hence why I thought I'd ask for advice from those with personal experience, rather than hunt for club websites.

Cheers again
Martin

Last edited:

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Ray, I have looked into Brooklands myself as Dartford is an easy journey but I've heard that it often attracts idiots.

Yeah, when I was young it used to attract me.

Some of the Tonbridge river stretches were actually in the town.

You may have some difficulty looking up waters on club websites, when I was looking myself I found that more and more clubs are not listing their waters in an effort to discourage poaching or fish thefts.

mullet72

Reaction score
Lol! I can still be an idiot as I approach my 40th birthday. However I'm not keen on fishing venues where I'm hearing stories of abuse, crime and violence!

On the other subject, luckily the clubs I've been looking at have had maps of some of their waters on the web. Tonbridge's is quite good and marks the railway line, but I couldn't see stations marked. If I decide to look into it closer I dare say I can match it up with a google map.