drain fishing for perch&roach

Reaction score
hi all
im making a trip to my local drain(the sincil drain through washingborough-bardney)
bin along it today and there are some real nice swims at the moment and the drain is perhaps up by around 2 feet with a bit of colour in it
the swims i will be targeting will be the usual snaggy perch looking places (overhanging bushes,tress uprooted from the recent and summer rains and general slacks and snags)
i was wondering what method u guys would use?
there are alot of bushes in the margins where im sure perch will be waiting to ambush,all of these create a nice slack behind where im sure other fish will be.
i was thinking of a light leger aproach with lob hookbaits and firing in pouches of caster/chopped worm/maggot next to all the snags for the perch.or would a good idea be to go with mag. feeder with lob hookbait?
aslo i will fish the crease withthe float where there are some nice swims.im not expecting anything huge but just want to get out on the bank while there is still time!!/forum/smilies/sad_smiley.gif
anyway thats my plan so sound good to you more experienced folk and if not how would you tackle it?
thanx alot for any hints ill let you know how it goes
tight lines !!

F

Fred Bonney

I think your first approach should work, if it attracts small fish, your in.

captain carrott

Reaction score
i'd use crump groundbait instead of the maggots or casters, and keep it going in almost constantly in bits the size of a grape just above a lob fished on the ledger.

and float fish a small lip hooked live bait on the other rod. a few yards down stream but on the same line.