What is wrong with some people?

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have just been reading a piece in my Wigan club book about them having to stop the night fishing permits on certain waters because of the minority of members causing problems.
These so called responsible Anglers have left litter and vandalised fences and the worst of all defecating all over the place!
The thing what really gets me is the fact that these people actually pay another £60 on top of the season ticket price to gain the right to night fish certain club waters and not only that but they have spoilt it for everyone else :(
I will never ever understand why these selfish idiots take up fishing in the first place as they have no respect for wildlife, the countryside, the waters they fish or their fellow Anglers!
Does this happen everywhere or is it just the odd clubs that suffer?

steph mckenzie

Reaction score
Here's the thing with night fishing, it's an excuse at times for people to drink alcohol and it's also like staying up all night to have a wee party ... or so they think.

Shame, because as you say, it ruins it for everyone.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I will never ever understand why these selfish idiots take up fishing in the first place as they have no respect for wildlife, the countryside, the waters they fish or their fellow Anglers! Does this happen everywhere or is it just the odd clubs that suffer?

Interestingly though, these are the very people that some say, or even require, to join the Angling Trust - some hope!

I don't think it is a nation-wide problem, at least not in my area where we have 2 of the largest clubs in the Southern Region.

The clubs so affected need to throw out any member who does not abide by the rules rather than close-off night fishing on their venues.

maceo

Reaction score
Hmmmm. I'd understood from another thread that it was only day ticket people who caused litter problems etc. and not those who can afford expensive club books. This would appear to suggest that's not the case.

It seems to me the proper way to deal with this would be to have proper bailiff activities so they know who's fishing these swims and then they can withdraw their ticket and ban them for the future if it's left littered up.

barbelboi

Reaction score
My club has a good selection of pits, ponds and rivers on our ticket. Many can be night fished at no additional charge – one only after the first year of membership. I have never seen any litter, damage, etc. although there was a problem with travellers breaking into the car park of one lake I have yet to fish and fly tipping a load of asbestos last year - closing the venue for some weeks for clearing/repair.
Jerry

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
My club has a good selection of pits, ponds and rivers on our ticket. Many can be night fished at no additional charge – one only after the first year of membership. I have never seen any litter, damage, etc. although there was a problem with travellers breaking into the car park of one lake I have yet to fish and fly tipping a load of asbestos last year - closing the venue for some weeks for clearing/repair.
Jerry

And I have heard that they have been at it again Jerry. Phil and I picked up a load of litter at SP t'other day though the content suggested that it may well not have been anglers that left it. Whoever it was they are dirty,lazy gits. I cannot understand the mentality of anybody who trashes such a lovely place.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hmmmm. I'd understood from another thread that it was only day ticket people who caused litter problems etc. and not those who can afford expensive club books. This would appear to suggest that's not the case.

You want to see the state of some of the ''members only'' stretches of the ribble, it beggars belief mate!

barbelboi

Reaction score
And I have heard that they have been at it again Jerry. Phil and I picked up a load of litter at SP t'other day though the content suggested that it may well not have been anglers that left it. Whoever it was they are dirty,lazy gits. I cannot understand the mentality of anybody who trashes such a lovely place.

Don't forget that was after all of SP was closed for a couple of weeks to us anglers for the BMW promotional do.
Jerry

chav professor

Reaction score
I would not be so certain...... One of the clubs I belonged to had a Match focussed committee with a distrust of carp fishing and pike angling. Grudgingly, one lake is open to night fish... but when the bailiff cut in another swim for a bivvie..... he resigned over the incident.... the comittee were furious that they had lost 'another one of there swims'. (The implication being that if someone fishes an overnighter, its not available to someone fishing a pole + seatbox).

Sadly, the live bait ban stands to this day:(

Some clubs are looking for excuses to limit access to water overnight in order to discourage a certain type of angler.... There are plenty of 'day only' anglers for defecate and leave rubbish:wh

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

Skippy,
There are some lovely lanes around my village in Derbyshire but you want to see the **** that's dumped in some of the gateways/lay-by's it's bloody disgusting, and the thing I just don't get is that there is a council tip not 5 mins drive away!!

---------- Post added at 08:06 ---------- Previous post was at 07:55 ----------

Some clubs are looking for excuses to limit access to water overnight in order to discourage a certain type of angler.... There are plenty of 'day only' anglers for defecate and leave rubbish
Some clubs are looking for excuses to limit access to water overnight in order to discourage a certain type of angler.... There are plenty of 'day only' anglers for defecate and leave rubbish

No prof, it is definitely those on the night fish that are causing the problems. They have been caught with booze as well and these lakes are not match fished so no malice there!

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
Littering and rubbish that is caused or attributed to anglers will lead to the end of angling if were not careful. These days with mobile phone photos and video it is easier than ever for the antis to gather damning evidence and promote their cause.

Any members proven to be doing it should be prosecuted as well as being expelled from the club

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
You're in the wrong clubs mate.

Where are the bailiffs when all this is going on, the clubs in the north west are supposed to have some of the keenest bailiffs in the country, the bay malton stretch on the ribble is bad, although to be fair I think people are fishing on there without a card! and they do not have the staff to keep check.

sam vimes

Reaction score
The cheaper the fishing, the bigger the problem.
The closer the venue to large population centres, the bigger the problem.
The more prolific the venue, the bigger the problem.
The more low key the bailiffing/control, the bigger the problem.
The better the availability of day tickets, the bigger the problem.
The more people that have access, the bigger the problem.

Too many folks are now so far removed from the reality of a rural environment by urban/sub-urban living. In the urban environments they inhabit, if a mess is made in a public place, sooner or later someone will clean it up, or at least they think so. Some just don't give a damn whatever the environment they are in.

agamemnon

Reaction score
the club im in allows night fishing BUT you need to be a member for 2 seasons and then you need to be seconded by a night member to get on the syndicate and to top it the numbers are limited so it could be several years before you get a night ticket. then just to top it you can only have 10 night anglers on any night and you need to book in with the ballif. there is no trouble what so ever from night anglers on our local lake

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
the club im in allows night fishing BUT you need to be a member for 2 seasons and then you need to be seconded by a night member to get on the syndicate and to top it the numbers are limited so it could be several years before you get a night ticket. then just to top it you can only have 10 night anglers on any night and you need to book in with the ballif. there is no trouble what so ever from night anglers on our local lake

Its the same with Southport on the Rivington res...bloody good Idea!

benny samways

Reaction score
Now, Im not excusing fly-tipping in anyway shape nor form BUT if councils didnt make it so hard for vans and small businesses to go into their local tidy tips then there wouldnt be half as much dumping going on (you'll never stop the Pikeys).

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Where are the bailiffs when all this is going on, the clubs in the north west are supposed to have some of the keenest bailiffs in the country, the bay malton stretch on the ribble is bad, although to be fair I think people are fishing on there without a card! and they do not have the staff to keep check.

Mark, I belong to two clubs, they both have a note in their rule book saying that any full member can act as a bailiff. I have not been able to visit any of the waters of the latest one, but on the other I have approached several people who didn't look kosher and when they admitted to not being members I asked them to leave, which they did. The club lease these waters from a farm and when your membership is renewed you get a card with the phone numbers of; the two guys who run the club, farm manager and the EA. As the farm does not have a right of way over it the manager is pretty keen not to allow trespassers.

As far as litter is concerned, as I work really odd shift patterns I can't do the work parties, what I have arranged to do instead, is to have a walk around the lakes when packing up and pick up any loose litter. I think that sometimes we have to help ourselves and not just rely on the efforts of others when there is a problem. I seem to remember that you once mentioned that you were a Special Constable, so you can't really be a shrinking violet. If someone is behaving like a total knobhead then they are most probably not a member, if they are a member, then they would be foolish to jeopardise their membership.