groundbait own recipes

catching king

Reaction score
For groundbait, i have noticed it is getting very expencive to buy a bag of the stuff, and i would really like to know if anyone has actually got there own "recipes". I have heard of vitalin but other than that, i'm lost!

Ready Steady, Cook!

TOM SAWYER

Reaction score
bulk buy brown crumb, about 12 quid for 20 kg, then add whatever takes your fancy-------, as cheap, or as expensive, as you want it to be then ---------

Crushed hemp is always a good addition ( bulk buy)

Fishmeal at about £1.80/kg is another, the list goes on--------

B

Baz Chaz

I'm determined this season not to buy groundbait @ £3 a kilo /forum/smilies/disappointed_smiley.gif

going to fish all season with 'home made', that'll be either a success or an almighty cock up /forum/smilies/eye_rolling_smiley.gif

but it'll be fun /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

JIMMY---PAAS

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Tom; I use haggis for all types of course fishing and I,ve hadgood results.

Raw haggis,crumbled down, you can also mix bread crums into it. then you know the rest.

Tom; give it a go. /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

TOM SAWYER

Reaction score
I'm always willing to try something new , but as new as I am here, I've already learned that unfortunately, 85% of what is posted is a windup ,only 15% true, but what the hell, if its crap, you're never gonna know I tried it ! If it works, I'll come on here and you will get the credit for it-------

Baz, this is the first season where I'm trying to do my own, I've just bought various stuff in bulk, and as you say, it will be fun experimenting, as I already do with my pellets--- good luck mate--

captain carrott

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>TOM SAWYER wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>I'm always willing to try something new , but as new as I am here, I've already learned that unfortunately, 85% of what is posted is a windup ,only 15% true, but what the hell, if its crap, you're never gonna know I tried it ! If it works, I'll come on here and you will get the credit for it-------</blockquote>

you're actually wrong on this point. if we're talking fishing then we don't wind people up.

so try4 partsbrown crumb

1 partground trout pellet.

1 partground hemp.

there are hundreds of recipes spread throughout the posts on this site, go have a mooch round, and see what you find.

B

Baz (Angel of the North)

Go Cat salmon flavoured cat biscuits make an excelent paste. Mix the ground down biscuit powder with an egg. Tench love it.

JIMMY---PAAS

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Thanks Tom; As you say you can only try it; But believe me its NOT a wind up.

When you catch the big one. Don,t tell everyone as they will put the price of the Haggis up here???

TOM SAWYER

Reaction score
They'd better NOT, I LOVE haggis----------

Captain, I'm an honest man, if it proves to be that I'm wrong, I will come on here and openly apologise for that remark, but from my first post ( talking fishing), after seeing other posts sayin things like " I had him hooked, I had a screamer ", put me down as dubious please------

JIMMY---PAAS

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Tom no probs and am sure that the Cap-i-tan-o feels the same way./forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Deanos

Reaction score
Capitano Carrott,

When using crushed hemp in ground bait, do you need to cook and then dry the seeds out, or as you are blitzing it into tiny particles can you use it uncooked.

best regards, Deanos.

Lord Paul

Reaction score
Deanos

Use uncooked hemp - put it in a blender and you'll have a nice fine hemp ground bait - the small pieces won't harm the fish even when they swell due to the minute size

TheNomadicOne

Reaction score
Powdered up digestive biscuits is something that is used in a lot of the continental mixes as is fennel, aniseed, coriander, etc. Wood chippings have been added to some of the shop bought continental mixes as well believe it or not. Experimentation is the key to it all at the end of the day.

barbelbonce

Reaction score
Haggis??

I bought 2 more this afternoon - Macsween of Edinburgh, the ONLY haggis! - the (about) half-kilo size suitable for 2/3 people (or in my case, 1 person); cost? £7.40 the pair. Rather expensive g'bait methinks........BTW, haggis is cooked before it leaves the maker, it is never raw.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Bran is a good additive to mashed bread - except you usually end up using far more bran than mash.

Layers' mash and scalded rabbit food are good, also chinchilla pellets - check to see they list maize gluten in the ingredients - that's the same as "corn steep liquor"