Middy Battle Zone

Ben Lee

Reaction score
Im looking to buy a new pole , but im on a tight budget. Ive seen the new middy battle zone and was wondering if it was worth getting or would be rubbish when i got it? It costs £120 and comes with 1 top3 kit and 2 top2 kits and a full elastication pack.It's 12 1/2 meters and weighs 1089 gms at 11 meters.Does anyone reccomend anything different?

TOM SAWYER

Reaction score
It replaces the " works" pole which had a really good reputationn, altho' I cant be categorical, I would respectfully suggest that you wont get any better at the price-------/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

No doubt some will tell me I'm wrong----------------------------

Ben Lee

Reaction score
yeah i thought it was rly good for the price ^^ ..... just wanted a few other peoples oppinions before i go out and buy it

TOM SAWYER

Reaction score
well its rated 24 so will be strong, its not TOO heavy for a pole at that price, you get a couple of top 2's ,happy days------------

TOM SAWYER

Reaction score
When I was lookin for my first pole I almost bought the Middy " hot spot " package, looking back, even now I think it would have been a good choice, they do great deals in that price range, I dont think you'll go far wrong with it, its excellent value

Ben Lee

Reaction score
if i could i would get a pole for about 600 quid or somthin but i gotta save up for it and its kinda hard when i aint old enough to get a job /forum/smilies/tongue_out_smiley.gif

TOM SAWYER

Reaction score
If thats the case Ben , go for it, when you can afford better, upgrade ! Its simple !!/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

Reaction score
Ben If you are going to buy a pole, buy as good a pole as you can afford because its a major bit of kit, im not familiar with this middy pole that you are quoting but I will tell you now that it is too heavy at over 1000gram at 11m?

You are just wasting your money buying this, ask some local anglers where the best place is to buy poles and take a trip and feel the different poles yourself and see which one you like.

Also try and think of ways to raise a bit of cash, gardening, painting, car washing etc. there is always a way

Good luck

TOM SAWYER

Reaction score
I dont think there are too many light poles out there for a £120 budget---------, and he says cash is hard to come by----- We know its best to get the best you can afford, thats what he's doing, unless someone knows of anything significantly better at that price-----. I personally think its very good value ( albeit not perfect, its a good starter) , but everyone has different opinions.

TOM SAWYER

Reaction score
But again he has to spend more than he wanted---- This is the very thing I wrote about in my first ever post " WHY DO THEY DO IT?" Everybody ALWAYS suggests stuff OVER budget !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! quote " I'm on a tight budget"! WHY do they presume the lad can do it ?

No doubt its a very good pole, I had a look at it some time ago and its respected, and I almost suggested it myself till I saw price.

Reaction score
Tom its £15 quid more!! it wont break the bank

Bit of creativity, by negotiating, you'll get it for £120!!!!! theres always a deal to be done

Ben Lee

Reaction score
Well ill have a look at the map cfs , but tom is right it will be harder to get too much because i have about 42 quid so far and i save up about 12 quid a week and theres a few other things im gonna get like a new landing new and keep net etc but im gonna try and save as much as i can

TOM SAWYER

Reaction score
If its a starter pole you want, you could get the hot spot ( which will do to get into pole fishing but its not bad ), and that would free funds for your other bits ? hot spot 11m , with laccy 1 top 2 ( spare top 2's £20 ), about 90-£100.

Beecy

Reaction score
I cant comment on the middy pole as i have never seen it, BUT..

For that sort of money, at 11m-12.5m i just cant see it being any good. It will be too heavy and sloppy to fish effectively at full length in all but the very best conditions and 90% of the time you will find yourself fishing it with a section or two off, at say 8-9M where it will feel much better

there fore, if i were on a budget of £120, id be looking to get a good 'margin' pole at 8-9M, that will feel beter at this length than the longerone with sections offwill .

Reaction score
Fair point Beecy, didnt think of that

Im all for starter poles but this particular one doesnt sound the best. Just to compare, a pole I bought 18 years ago, albeit a little more expensive, was only 780gms at 11m. The one you are after is 1089, that is not light.

Following on from Beecy thoughts the Daiwa yank and bank margin pole is a belter, its 10.5m but only 700gram and strong as an Ox, pretty stiff, an ideal starter pole. It wil be made from a far greater spandrel than the Middy.

I think its around £135 for the 10.50m but if you shop around you might get it £120.00, if you cant afford that then it is sold in the 8m length and you can get it for around £100.00

So under your budget.......

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
I'll endorse the Daiwa Yank n Bank; light and a pleasure to use - just a bit soft at ten metres but I've had carp to ten pounds plus plenty of tench etc. on it.