Dead Maggots?

dave11

Reaction score
I am doing a session tomorrow that i know will have some weed in some areas. I am thinking more of Dead Maggots as they will lay on top and not wiggle and dissapear. How much success have others had with Dead maggots. I am beginning to think that as a summer bait they catch more?

maceo

Reaction score
I accidentally killed my maggots a few weeks back by leaving them in the sun on a hot afternoon.

In answer to your question - not much! I still caught using them on the hook and as freebies.

Of course it's always hard to say absolutely because there are so many other variables in any particular session, but it seemed to me that they caught less well than the alive and wriggling type.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Dead maggots can be just as effective live ones in certainconditions where you don’t want your bait disappearing from site. If fishing at distance I use an open ended feeder with a mixture of ground bait and dead maggots to ensure the contents comes out.

Be careful how you kill them or they will be rubbish. On the bank side clean the maggots and put them in a bait box, cover them with cold water then add hot water from a flask, or kettle, until the maggots stop wriggling and get rid of any floaters. Don’t use boiling water directly on the maggots or they’ll be useless. Or, put them in the freezer overnight, remove in morning before fishing and they will be defrosted and ready to use when you get there.
Jerry

dave11

Reaction score
I have posted a similar post in the predator section about whitebait...Could be good?

bankside

Reaction score
Or, put them in the freezer overnight, remove in morning before fishing and they will be defrosted and ready to use when you get there.
Jerry

I might be tempted to leave them a little longer than overnight,I've heard some people
say that they can come back to life if only left overnight........spooky!!

barbelboi

Reaction score
I might be tempted to leave them a little longer than overnight,I've heard some people
say that they can come back to life if only left overnight........spooky!!

Overnight is enough, they're probably the ones that put too many in a bag - just don't put more than about half a pint in a bag or the ones in the middle wont freeze.
Jerry